Gransnet forums

Food

Things that you have never eaten and why ?

(190 Posts)
NotAGran55 Tue 10-Nov-20 06:18:15

Mine in a topical one .
I have never eaten turkey.

When I was a child we had a capon at Christmas for some reason . I haven’t ever heard of one since ? Did I imagine it ?

From the age of about 18 I stopped eating meat and will now never taste it .

Spangler Tue 10-Nov-20 09:06:26

Foie gras.
It's the liver of a forced fed goose. Force feeding has been banned in over a dozen countries. Force-feeding damages the livers of the birds so badly it induces an extremely painful disease known as hepatic lipidosis. Scientific studies also show that consumption of foie gras is associated with a fatal disease in humans called secondary amyloidosis.

Hand on heart, I have never eaten a McDonalds hamburger, nor any of the competitors, the smell is enough to put me off. You can add kebabs to that, they just gross me out.

Never could get a taste for the flavour of turkey.

B9exchange Tue 10-Nov-20 09:16:45

Never touched tripe, or sushi. Never had a hot curry, just the smell of it makes me heave.

But I have eaten crocodile (okay if you like a sort of salty tough chicken, but I wasn't keen!)

petra Tue 10-Nov-20 09:24:41

You don't have to eat oysters raw. You can deeep fry them in a tempura batter.

Greyduster Tue 10-Nov-20 09:29:21

Black pudding is a no-no for me, as are jellied eels, bread pudding (can’t bear the thought of bread soaked in milk), snails (though I can eat whelks) and octopus. They used to have something in the Far East called a ‘thousand year old egg’ which was apparently a Chinese delicacy. I was offered the chance to try one once but demurred, offering the excuse that I was allergic to eggs - which was a lie!blush

pen50 Tue 10-Nov-20 09:31:12

I'm much more prosaic - can't bear ordinary potato or hard egg yolk. It's the texture of them, makes me want to gag. I love sweet potatoes and soft yolks, preferably at the same time! Used to hate cheese but at a rather advanced age I've suddenly developed a taste for it, when cooked, anyway. We had cauliflower cheese last night, delicious!

LuckyFour Tue 10-Nov-20 09:32:47

I have never eaten tripe. I don't know if people eat it now but it used to be eaten either cooked or raw. It wasn't something Mum ever made but my childhood friend's father had it once when I was there. I couldn't understand why he seemed to be enjoying it. It's the lining of a sheep's stomach I think. Utterly revolting.

Froglady Tue 10-Nov-20 09:34:01

I have never eaten frog's legs - I love frogs in all shapes and sizes and colours and I certainly wouldn't dream of ever eating any part of one - in spite of my nephews insistence that they taste just like chicken.
I was once sent a birthday card which was a comical one showing a cafe advertising frogs legs to eat - inside the card were all these frogs in wheelchairs, on crutches etc, protesting about the cafe! Gave me a good giggle.

Grannybags Tue 10-Nov-20 09:34:19

Lychees. Far too much like eyeballs!

inishowen Tue 10-Nov-20 09:37:14

Black or white pudding, snails, oysters. My mum enjoyed tripe but never suggested I tried it.

Bathsheba Tue 10-Nov-20 09:40:30

No I could never eat foie gras. I've never eaten kebab either, because the smell alone puts me off, but also I simply can't trust a meat product that is kept hot for hours on end as bits are sliced off. When the shop closes for the night what happens to all the kebab that is left? Heated up the next night? No thanks!

I can't eat hearts. Just can't. Or tongue. Completely irrational I know because I eat liver and kidney - and, for that matter, many other parts of the animal.

I tried an oyster once and found it completely underwhelming, just a salty, slimey thing slithering down my throat. You just swallow without chewing. What's the point?

Oh and sprats, fried whole, or scallops - just the sight of them slopping about in a creamy sauce is enough to make me heave!

wildswan16 Tue 10-Nov-20 09:42:28

Anything that has been within ten feet of garlic.

Angeleyes58xx Tue 10-Nov-20 09:43:19

NotAgran55 we used to have capon too for Christmas as we never liked turkey as it was dry, Capon is just a big Chicken, but so yummy ?
Enjoy your Christmas❤️??xx

henetha Tue 10-Nov-20 09:45:41

I've never eaten caviare. Never had the chance, and don't fancy it anyway.

25Avalon Tue 10-Nov-20 09:45:41

Octopus. Just the look of it. Or cockles or is it whelks that look like baby birds.

hicaz46 Tue 10-Nov-20 09:47:03

I echo those who say they would try anything once. Perhaps not sheep’s eyeballs which I believe used to be a delicacy in Middle East. I love sushi and lobster and winkles, in fact any seafood. Also had snails several times which really just taste of garlic butter.

Mwdebbie Tue 10-Nov-20 09:48:29

Brains. Tapioca. Otherwise I eat anything.

essjay Tue 10-Nov-20 09:49:16

yes we used to have capon at christmas when i was a child, i used to go the farm with my nan when she went to collect it. i could never eat rabbit, the mere smell of it cooking makes me heave, mum used to do rabbit stew for my dad and i would have to go to a friends house for tea. couldn't eat tripe either, another favourite of my dads. as much as i like onions i cant eat onion rings and in the same vein couldn't eat calamari.

Mild Tue 10-Nov-20 09:50:58

Cauliflower - takes me back to my Grandmothers house when she had dementia. Malt vinegar and Tea- hate the smell.

25Avalon Tue 10-Nov-20 09:53:19

“If the first thing you do in the morning is eat a live frog, you can go through the rest of the day knowing the worst is behind you.” Mark Twain.

Elusivebutterfly Tue 10-Nov-20 09:58:30

I will generally try anything. I tried eel, not jellied, cooked in a terrine in an expensive place. It was the worst thing I have ever tasted and the taste lingered all day.
After that experience, I won't try the two other things I don't like the look of - snails and tripe.

Barbk Tue 10-Nov-20 09:58:38

Capons are large chickens. No longer treated with hormone pellet in this country long banned.
Frogs legs and snails are dominated by the garlic butter. Frog legs are like chicken.
Love all fish and crabs, squids my favorite.
Was always told by my parents you can’t say you don’t like it if you’ve never eaten it. Was fortunate try many foods which weren’t available in the UK 50 years ago. So glad I’ve been able to try and enjoy many different foods. Keep an open mind.

Nortsat Tue 10-Nov-20 10:01:48

Brains
Tripe
Jellied eels
Beetroot (tried once but I have a serious aversion to it ... and life’s too short)
Oysters
Snails
Winkles

I feel slightly nauseated now ...

dogsmother Tue 10-Nov-20 10:04:50

We did a food tour in Ho Chi Minh, one thing only I could not try was a fermented type of egg, it was a step too far!

Rosina Tue 10-Nov-20 10:05:21

MOnica me too - I have been revolted by milk since being forced to drink from the small bottles, left close to the radiator, in primary school. I am also not quite sure how people can put oysters in their mouths - I won't say what they remind me of as some people like them! Any kind of offal is utterly repulsive.

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 10:08:28

I'm another tripe virgin.

I used to go the butchers with my Grandma and see the tripe on display. It intrigued me. I'd gaze at it for ages. It looked so fabulous!

Grandma would never buy it though. She told me I'd not like it so I've never tried it and am unlikely to do so now.