Gransnet forums

Food

Tesco Clubcard/Clubcard prices....

(46 Posts)
bikergran Tue 01-Dec-20 20:12:18

I very rarely shop at Tesco as I work in another supermarket and have 10% off everything.

But I shop at tesco for my dad now.

When browsing round lately, I see the "Tesco Club Card price" eg £1.00 but at side of it normal price £1:99 ?

So if I have forgot to take my dads tesco club card (just the normal everyday clubcard that you get vouchers off every so often) does this mean I will pay the higher price?

Or am I missing something.hmm

silverdragon Tue 01-Dec-20 20:14:39

Think so. Sainsburys did the same with Nectar sometime last year, similar thing.

growstuff Tue 01-Dec-20 20:15:49

Yes, I think so. I haven't been into an actual shop since the beginning of the first lockdown, but I buy all my groceries online from Tesco. The "normal" price appears in the list, but the total is reduced when I pay.

NannyJan53 Tue 01-Dec-20 20:17:10

Yes you will pay the higher price unless you scan your club card at the till, to receive the lower price.

merlotgran Tue 01-Dec-20 20:17:25

I think the price reduction is linked to the clubcard, bikergran

The item is priced as normal on the receipt and then the discounted amount is shown at the bottom.

bikergran Tue 01-Dec-20 20:23:56

I think that's awful, costing people more money just because they have forgot their card.

Plus a lot of people won't have even signed up for the card as they don't like giving their details.

I can't believe that today I would have paid £1.99 for the bag of peanuts, if I had not got my dads card.

My dd said something last week(but I wasn't taking much notice) that she had gone to Tesco but forgot her club card at the till, she left the shopping and went back after with her club card, I'm sure she said she saved about £9.00 [shocked]

merlotgran Tue 01-Dec-20 20:33:00

There have been some very good reductions on Christmas drinks. It's the only time of the year we buy sherry and liqueurs.

Jaxjacky Tue 01-Dec-20 21:07:49

I’ve got a club card that’s on my key ring, never forgotten. When I had a nectar card, it was always in my purse.

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 21:23:19

bikergran your father may have a small card which fits on a key ring so ask him if you can have that one so you don't have to keep borrowing his. They'll send him one quite quickly, I think, if he didn't get one.
Or, if you shop regularly for him, just keep his card.

Yes, it's the same online, Clubcard price is offered occasionally.
It's just to try to ensure customer loyalty.

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 21:27:24

Other supermarkets do it, bikergran as well as Tesco.
Waitrose, Sainsburys

fevertree Tue 01-Dec-20 21:34:59

Callistemon the only reduction I get at the till with my Wait rose card, is the price of whichever newspaper I've purchased, if I've spent £10 or more. There are no product prices that are discounted on producing the Waitrose card. What I do receive, every so often, is a wad of vouchers, all to be used against purchases of my regular purchases.

I am also irritated by Tesco having introduced this 'Clubcard Price' - it's a recent thing.

Callistemon Tue 01-Dec-20 21:43:49

Not advertising but just to say that we've often picked items which offer a discount in store and the same applies online too.
www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/featured/offers/my-waitrose-offers

Teacheranne Tue 01-Dec-20 21:54:05

It is only on limited items and these vary week by week. So for example club card holders might get a reduction on one brand of butter or biscuits. I use online shopping and usually get three or four reductions each shop but only about two pounds in total. I don’t consider it a bargain if I only buy it because it’s reduced!

I have a Tesco credit card as well and get vouchers every quarter, varying amounts but sometimes as much as £40, which I save to buy my RAC membership each year as well as some Christmas treats.

Teacheranne Tue 01-Dec-20 21:55:29

I don’t have the club card that has a monthly fee as the extra benefits are not attractive to me, just the basic one but I still get money off certain items.

GrandmaKT Tue 01-Dec-20 22:09:17

I've mentioned on here before that there is a really useful app called stocard. You can scan in all your store cards so you don't have to carry them around with you and never forget them (unless you forget your phone of course!)

Marydoll Tue 01-Dec-20 22:24:36

I have had a Tesco Club card for years and I have been getting weekly deliveries from Tesco since March, because I am shielding.
As I have a Cub card, the clubcard prices are automatically added at the checkout.
I have saved a fair amount of money in the last few weeks, by checking what is on offer that week. I also got a two times use double points voucher this week.
They are obviously trying to tempt customers.

I have nothing but praise for Tesco and the way I have been supported during my period of shielding. The drivers are so helpful and friendly and the call centre staff are very quick to resolve any problems.

tanith Tue 01-Dec-20 22:27:31

There is no monthly fee for Tesco club card, it’s handy having the fob on my key ring so the cards always with me. I’ve had lots of savings since they introduced this new discount I think £8 was the most I saved but I don’t buy anything I wouldn’t normally buy.

Marydoll Tue 01-Dec-20 22:31:33

Its a win, win situation for me. Tesco clubcard is just a loyalty card and as Tanith say, there is no fee.

merlotgran Tue 01-Dec-20 22:39:27

I am also irritated by Tesco having introduced this 'Clubcard Price' - it's a recent thing.

Why?

Customers with clubcards (anyone can have one) get a discount on some products. What's wrong with that?

Bathsheba Tue 01-Dec-20 22:40:04

I had to ring them tonight because somehow I've managed to get two different club card numbers (don't ask me how). It was never a problem when I shopped in store - I just handed over the card and all was well.

However, since I've been shopping online, my Tesco.com account is registered with one card number, while my physical card is the other one confused. I don't know why, but this has resulted in me not getting the offers with my online shopping. So anyway, I rang them, got through very quickly and spoke to a lovely person called Kathy who said that yes, she could see I'd got two numbers registered in my name, so she'd merge both accounts, and hey presto! I'm getting the discounted prices now! Which was really worthwhile because one item I'd put in my basket was £15, but £7.50 with a club card smile

Bathsheba Tue 01-Dec-20 22:45:40

There is no monthly fee for Tesco club card

Not for the basic card, no. But there is a 'club card plus' at £7.99 a month, which gives you 10% discount on your shopping twice a month, in store. That's the one that Teacheranne was referring to upthread. No good to me, nor to many of us during this pandemic who shop online.

merlotgran Tue 01-Dec-20 22:45:43

but I don’t buy anything I wouldn’t normally buy.

Same here, tanith. I usually scroll through my favourites and if something has a discount I will buy it even if I don't need it for another week or so.

Everyone likes a bit of a bargain.

DD tipped me off about discounts on liqueurs because I rarely buy them.

Marydoll Tue 01-Dec-20 23:15:36

I'm the same, only buy my regular items. However, as I haven't been able to physically shop, I've become very creative at putting Christmas presents on my online shop.

DD also puts her shopping onto my online order, which helps her as my carer, to keep me safe, by not going to the supermarket. This week between the two of us we saved £37.

The delivery man apologised this week for not having the novelty Spiderman bubble bath figure, which was half price.
I said I was disappointed as it was meant to be a stocking filler for my son.
He looked at me in puzzled way and asked what age my son was. "Thirty eight" I said. "It was meant to go with the Spiderman socks, I have mislaid." ?
This comment was met with howls of laughter. He said that I had cheered him up.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 01-Dec-20 23:29:11

I've got a Waitrose and Sainsbury's card (Nectar) and never had anything.

Only time I get something off with Sainsbury's is when I use the Nectar points. Waitrose give coupons off which I never use as you have to spend a huge amount of money. Last one I had was 'spend £80' !

No Tesco near me.

SynchroSwimmer Tue 01-Dec-20 23:37:45

I had something similar in Hilliers garden centre last week, in a rush I grabbed some birdseed priced at £14.99 - but when I got to the till the price came up as £25.

They signed me up for a club card and then I got the cheaper price.

I honestly feel it’s unethical and misleading. I am so angry that I won’t spend there again.