Gransnet forums

Food

Why can't I make Yorkshire puddings ???

(33 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Sun 13-Dec-20 20:04:37

I've never ever ever been able to do them. I "joke" through gritted teeth that I make Yorkshire biscuits, and for the last I-don't-know-how-many-years, Aunt Bessie has been my saviour.

I decided to try again today - and again, Yorkshire biscuits. I currently have a gas cooked, which I wholeheartedly loathe, but I've had the same results whether it's been a gas or an electric oven. They were in the oven on Gas 9 for 25 minutes, as the result was as in the photograph. The oil was in the oven heating for 25 minutes so I'm sure it was hot enough, although it didn't really sizzle so much when I poured the batter in.

I have always used the recipe in a Be-Ro book from aeons ago, and now I'm wondering if it's the recipe I'm using that's causing the problems? It is the same recipe as for pancakes, which thinking about it, surely can't be right!

What's your tried and tested, failsafe Yorkshire puddings recipe?

dragonfly46 Sun 13-Dec-20 22:21:16

It has to be plain flour and 1 egg to every 2 ounces of flour. Heat the oil very hot and take the batter to the oven to retain the heat. I only use 2 eggs for 4 ounces of flour and they rise all the time!

SpringyChicken Sun 13-Dec-20 22:26:04

I sent this recipe to my American friend and it worked for her first time. It never fails. It takes a couple of minutes to prepare, does not need to be made in advance.

Make the batter in a 1 litre kitchen jug so it pours easily into the tin. Crack the eggs in first to avoid flour remaining in the bottom.

For 12 Yorkshire puddings (bun tin size)

3 large eggs, room temp.
100 grams plain flour.
130 mls cold water, NOT milk. (130mils of water weighs 130gms so can be measured on the scales).
Pinch of salt.
Lard for the baking tin (NOT oil, it leaves a sticky residue on the pan over time and causes the puddings to stick).

Place eggs, flour, water and salt into the jug, eggs first. With a table fork, beat for a minute or two until creamy. Do not be concerned if there are some flour lumps in the batter.

Heat the oven to 220℃. Put knobs of lard into each compartment of the cooking pan and place in the oven until melted. Remove the pan and brush the lard up the sides of the compartments with a pastry brush. Return the pan to the oven for a couple of minutes.

Beat the mix again with the fork for about 10 seconds, take pan from the oven and pour the batter into it, lumps and all.

Bake immediately for 25 - 30 mins. Check after 20mins and reduce heat to 200℃ if necessary.

GrannyLaine Sun 13-Dec-20 22:40:49

HurdyGurdy I think you're right and it doesn't matter what recipe or method you use, it won't work if the oven isn't hot enough.

Mapleleaf Mon 14-Dec-20 22:41:22

As said by many others the oven has to be really hot before the batter goes in, plus the fat has to be sizzling before pouring the batter into the tin, so melt it first in the pre-heated oven. (I often place the tin onto a low gas flame whilst pouring the batter so that the fat remains sizzling, then put it back promptly into the oven). The batter really benefits from resting beforehand, too. I prefer using lard to oil. Delia has a good batter recipe and remember, the flour has to be plain flour, not self raising.

GagaJo Mon 14-Dec-20 23:02:16

I'm useless with a one egg recipe. Never had the knack. But with more eggs, easy risers!

Callistemon Mon 14-Dec-20 23:07:40

DD just recommended a gf recipe with more eggs.

welbeck Tue 15-Dec-20 00:52:35

my revered mother, who was not from Yorkshire made very fine Yorkshire pudding. no idea how she did it though. sorry, no help. but it was Yorkshire pudding. always singular. it was made in a tray and cut into squares. i have never found anything like it since.
long ago days, and her sharpening the knife on the granite slab in the back yard, and plucking the mint.
wish i'd told her how wondrous it all was. but too stupid to realise it would all be gone so soon. and her.