Gransnet forums

Food

Blancmange Shortage

(63 Posts)
Sunnyoutlook Wed 16-Dec-20 18:48:12

I’m in Dorset and cannot find blancmange powders in any nearby supermarkets. Usually it’s Pearce Duffs brand but any help much appreciated

MayBee70 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:10:50

I’ve been making milk jelly and have been liquidising fresh fruit to add to it. I tried to make a trifle the other day, though, and can’t work out how to get the trifle sponges to stay at the bottom of the trifle. It didn’t occur to me that they would float to the top.

Redhead56 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:05:51

I was brought up on it and always bought it and yes I have the rabbit mould. I was struggling to get it for a while my husband went shopping in November. He came home with single sachets of vanilla flavour Pearce and Duffs from Morrisons. I was so delighted I went back and bought a few more. When it was available in a box chocolate was the one flavour I never used. When for a while I could not get it I made up jelly and whisked in evaporated milk when it was cooing down. It's an old fashioned pudding which reminds me of childhood. It is possible to buy it on line too its expensive but you get one life so enjoy.

timetogo2016 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:53:26

My christmas`s werelike yours Jaxjacky.

Juliet27 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:48:45

Ha ha re raisins Bb !!

highlanddreams Sun 03-Jan-21 10:45:31

you can also buy it here, I'm not sure how prices compare with British Corner shop ,I've not checked

www.greenscakes.co.uk/product-category/blancmange/

Sunnyoutlook Thu 24-Dec-20 20:28:29

Petra Blancmange Shortage that I posted on 16 December. Six sachets of strawberry blancmange arrived today. Just in time for Christmas Day. Thank you so much. It was on Amazon for a hugely inflated price. But the British Corner Shop delivered the goods for 50p a sachet. Result!

Witzend Thu 17-Dec-20 12:31:39

In case anyone wants to know, my very old recipe for choc. Blancmange uses 40g/1 1/2 oz cornflour, 25g/ 1 oz cocoa powder, 75g/3 oz caster sugar, and a pint of milk.

Recipe also says a few drops of vanilla essence but I never add it because I loathe the smell of vanilla.

Witzend Thu 17-Dec-20 12:22:28

Chocolate blancmange - or chocolate pudding as my mother always called it, is very easy to make with cornflour, cocoa powder, milk and sugar.
I hardly ever make it but dh adores it!

Callistemon Thu 17-Dec-20 12:18:00

Blancmange is a very old pudding and started off as a savoury dish:

britishfoodhistory.com/2019/06/15/blancmange/

It's a pity if it disappears altogether

Callistemon Thu 17-Dec-20 12:13:40

lemongrove

Greenfinch

I always make chocolate blancmange by adding cocoa to custard powder.

Thanks Greenfinch I usually make a chocolate trifle for DGC especially at Christmas, and I have tried and failed to get any choc blancmange with my food deliveries.How much cocoa powder would you add for a pint of custard?

lemongrove I remember going to a friend's for dinner; she knew DH loves trifle but what she didn't know is that he dislikes anything chocolately. She had made a very posh Black Forest trifle. He manfully forced down one large helping grin

Lexisgranny Thu 17-Dec-20 12:12:17

I remember Symingtons Table Creams, much favoured by my mother. I seem to remember in programmes such as Up Stairs Downstairs and Downton Abbey, the cooks referring to something as ‘Shapes’ for pudding, I wonder whether these were a forerunner of blancmange?

Callistemon Thu 17-Dec-20 12:11:35

I used to like Symingtons Table Creams, always felt they were ‘posh’ blancmange.
I remember those. Posher than blancmange

Calendargirl Thu 17-Dec-20 12:10:31

Yes, I gave our children liver in Pig’s Fry, but they wouldn’t want it now. Shouldn’t think the GC have ever eaten it.

We were told to eat liver when pregnant for the iron, but apparently that’s a no no nowadays.

Calendargirl Thu 17-Dec-20 12:07:55

Oh Greenfinch, Instant Whip was soooo exciting when we were little, but then Angel Delight came along, which was much better.

Instant Whip seemed to have flecks of the powdery stuff even after mixing, but maybe we couldn’t wait for it to be really ready before we dived in!

PollyDolly Thu 17-Dec-20 12:05:09

BBbevan

No blancmange in S W Wales either. I have found a packet of chocolate blancmange powder at the back of the cupboard, dated 2002. I might put it on eBay

?? Almost vintage!

Greenfinch Thu 17-Dec-20 12:02:27

I used to give my children liver every week because it was "good for them" but now they would never eat it and look back and think of it as the worst dinner ever.

Has anyone mentioned Instant Whip? That seems to have gone.

Kamiso Thu 17-Dec-20 11:11:15

Whitewavemark2

I can’t find kidney. I wanted ox but at a push Lamb or pigs, but not a kidney in sight. Even my farmer is all sold out.

Fear not! OH asked for a pork chop with kidney in. Our butcher (third generation) said that he will have one ready for him (for me actually) on 2nd January!

He has been plagued for years by Spanish and French butchers inspecting his shop and telling him what knives he should be using and even how he should cut the meat.

I had no idea that this level of interference was going on. It makes you wonder what else has been happening.

Have you tried a local butcher. We usually get lambs liver in Sainsbury’s. DD1 asks for liver, bacon and sausage but doesn’t eat the liver. She just likes the flavour.

Scribbles Thu 17-Dec-20 10:58:53

Calendargirl, Symingtons are still around (see symingtons.com ) but their product list doesn’t mention Table Creams sad.
I used to love the coffee and thee maple & walnut flavours.

MiniMoon Thu 17-Dec-20 10:54:17

Blancmange translates from Old French as white dish. I expect that originally it was some sort of set milk jelly.

MiniMoon Thu 17-Dec-20 10:51:48

I loved Symingtons table creams, particularly the maple and walnut flavour. They seem to have gone. I haven't seen them for years. The last place I bought them was in Asda.

MayBee70 Thu 17-Dec-20 10:37:05

Wh is it called blancmange? Does it refer to the cornflour bit?

pollyperkins Thu 17-Dec-20 09:54:29

I love blancmange & always have (especially the skin M0nica!) and still use it in trifles but it is hard to find these days - usually a packet with several flavours and I dont like them all. I liked Angel delight too and easier to make but really not as nice - too powdery and lacks that lovely creamy texture.

Calendargirl Thu 17-Dec-20 09:44:16

I used to like Symingtons Table Creams, always felt they were ‘posh’ blancmange.

Don’t think the supermarkets sell it now, not sure if it’s available online.

Expect ‘Symingtons’ no longer exist.

MawBe Thu 17-Dec-20 09:31:40

I blame Brexit. ?

MiniMoon Thu 17-Dec-20 02:31:31

Who is Cornelius? I'm sure I typed cornflour.