Gransnet forums

Food

What do you put on your pancakes ?

(111 Posts)
NotAGran55 Tue 16-Feb-21 06:58:28

Are you traditional with lemon and sugar or do you like to ring the changes ?
Savoury maybe rather than sweet ?

Lemon and sugar here normally but I forgot that it was Shrove Tuesday and only have one lemon in stock , so will rustle up some cherry sauce from frozen berries and serve with some left over cream .

timetogo2016 Tue 16-Feb-21 10:48:00

I can`t stand them,so no tossing in this house.

Moggycuddler Tue 16-Feb-21 10:50:54

Lemon juice and sugar. Maybe a touch of ginger.

Puzzler61 Tue 16-Feb-21 10:51:07

Ooh Elijah I’m going to copy you.
Duck pancakes followed by sweet pancakes ?
That will be this evening sorted ?

paddyanne Tue 16-Feb-21 10:53:14

Scotch pancakes here with butter or jam ,I make them at least once every week .My DIL loves pancakes and a couple of dozen usually get dropped off for her .I make mine a little bit thicker than traditional and add melted butter to the mix ,makes a lovely spongey treat

hicaz46 Tue 16-Feb-21 10:56:30

Me - lemon and syrup, partner - caster sugar and fresh orange squeezed. Oh and always fried in a little lard!

Danma Tue 16-Feb-21 10:56:44

I’ll be having savoury to start, chicken in white sauce. Followed by tradition pancake with lemon and sugar.

I had to order white sugar especially- am soooo looking forward to them

win Tue 16-Feb-21 10:58:13

Oh yes Baubles I remember the Pancake Places I worked in Old Bond Street in the late 60ish and used to dropped in to the one in Trafalgar Square, I think it was, on my way home from work several times during the week. I loved their salad bar and used to stuff my banana full to the brim.
Tonight is going to be salted Caramel ice cream and banana with a drop of honey, plus a couple with just honey. smile

Chestnut Tue 16-Feb-21 10:58:14

Lemon, maple syrup and butter! Very naughty but nice. ?

Mollygo Tue 16-Feb-21 10:59:46

Syrup and a squeeze of orange or sugar and lemon if they are sweet.
Duck pancakes are a treat, but not on Shrove Tuesday.

Rendella Tue 16-Feb-21 11:07:54

Just golden syrup, nothing else.

GolferGrandma Tue 16-Feb-21 11:09:28

DH always has lemon juice and sugar, I prefer maple syrup. DD posted photo this morning of spreads lined up for tonight - Nutella, Lotus spread and Crunchie spread!!! Far too sickly for me.

Loulou54 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:10:37

Just had ours with a dollop of clotted cream, raspberry jam, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and drizzled caramel sauce over! Yum ?

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:12:39

DH insists on syrup, sugar and lemon juice, (quite nice actually)

jaylucy Tue 16-Feb-21 11:14:40

As some one that lives near to the home of the Pancake Race (that has sadly had to be cancelled this year) it has to be lemon juice and caster sugar but seeing as Asda missed the lemons from my grocery delivery it will probably be apple and cinnamon !

PennyWhistle Tue 16-Feb-21 11:17:57

Honey and lemon here - mmmmm delicious!

granjan66 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:19:16

Canadian maple syrup, supplied by son who lives in Toronto!

lizzypopbottle Tue 16-Feb-21 11:21:22

We'll have ours tomorrow. We're fasting today. Lemon and sugar for us but the BBC Good Food website had a feature on pancakes a couple of days ago, with a different kind recommended every hour from 7a.m. till 9p.m! Most of them were American style (which I call drop scones) but some were traditional crepes. I couldn't eat them every hour but it's a nice thought. I love 'em!

HillyN Tue 16-Feb-21 11:28:24

Got to be Nutella and squirty cream for me!

Gramps47 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:28:33

Fat really hot and drip batter around the edge a bit at a time then pour in the middle, makes pancakes with filigree crispy edges.
Then rolled up with sugar and butter! Or maybe squeezed fresh orange (juice and bits) with sugar. Yum.
Wasny going to bother. Think I will now. All your fault!!!?

jenpax Tue 16-Feb-21 11:47:54

Classicist here? I only like sugar and lemon or lime juice! I also enjoy savoury pancakes. I dont really like the US thick pancakes, prefer the crepe style.

4allweknow Tue 16-Feb-21 11:52:17

If I could have house guests we would all be going out for pancakes to celebrate!

Kittye Tue 16-Feb-21 11:55:26

Only lemon and sugar. Traditional way for me anything else would seem wrong ☺️

Madammim1 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:57:54

Will be savoury pancakes for me done with savoury mince in slow cooker ,no pancakes for pudding though as still got cake I made for valentine's Day

grandMattie Tue 16-Feb-21 12:02:45

Depends what sort of pancake they are!
If a Staffordhire oatcake, some smoked haddock in creamy sauce, with some veges
if, "crepes", sugar and lemon;
If tortilla, stewed meat, refried beans and salad...

ChocolateMango Tue 16-Feb-21 12:03:22

I can highly recommend crushed raspberries, mascarpone and chocolate spread - a firm family favourite that we have year round ?