Gransnet forums

Food

Sprouting garlic!

(15 Posts)
Jaxjacky Sun 07-Mar-21 11:40:47

Nothing wrong with growing shop bought, but sometimes it’s been treated to inhibit sprouting, I buy from seed shops or Isle of Wight garlic farm as it’s grown specifically, I can then grow year on year on the allotment.

Witzend Sun 07-Mar-21 10:46:03

Some of the shoots are now 35 cm!
Astonishing growth in a very short time. I will put a lot more into my next stir fry or fried rice.

Norfolknanna Wed 03-Mar-21 08:50:33

Hi, to answer amberone I just let my newly harvested garlic bulbs hang up outside for a few weeks until dry skinned then keep in a cool dark cupboard. We get through them before any try to sprout again.
Before Christmas this year our local farm shop was selling garlic that had already started to sprout and pull apart for 20p a big bulb. Separated the cloves and planted and they grew away immediately.
You can buy named varieties in garden centres but they always seem very overpriced to me.

Witzend Wed 03-Mar-21 08:10:00

I added a few chopped shoots to last night’s stir-fry.
Tasted very slightly garlicky. Would also work well as a nice green garnish IMO.

JackyB Wed 03-Mar-21 07:46:04

It is supposed to keep away the insects and vermin if you plant garlic between the strawberries. So if the result turns out inedible (which seems unlikely) you can always put them to work there.

Other uses for chopped garlic or onion leaves: Sprinkle on a salad, stir into cottage cheese and season well for a tangy spread, garnish soups, omelettes, fry with onions as a base for stewsetc, or add at the end of cooking to give crunch and colour.

nanna8 Tue 02-Mar-21 22:37:10

I was thinking the variety of garlic we get over here is probably different so I looked it up. Amazed at how many different varieties there are. The one I have has a lovely little white flower but some are mauve and pink.

Redhead56 Tue 02-Mar-21 14:52:28

Shoots are called scrape can make pesto and garlic butter with them.

Auntieflo Tue 02-Mar-21 14:17:49

I have in the past planted garlic, but it did seem to spread beyond where I wanted it!

Just recently, I have separated the cloves, taken off the akin, and put them in a small jar, covered them with oil, and keep them in the fridge. Fine for cooking.

grannyticktock Tue 02-Mar-21 14:15:56

I do the same as Norfolknanna - I buy a bulb or two of garlic in the autumn and plant the separate cloves. Each one grows into a new bulb of garlic by late summer. They don't produce flowers, just leaves like onion plants, and when the leaves start to die back you pull up the bulbs and dry them out.

Amberone Tue 02-Mar-21 14:09:35

Norfolknanna my garlic bulbs always shoot or go mushy before I use them sad How do you store them? Do you leave them in the ground until you use them?

Norfolknanna Tue 02-Mar-21 13:45:08

You can plant out cloves from a shop bought garlic bulb straight into outside soil, they are fine through frost. I planted two bulbs out in January, they were happy even under snow. Now about 4 inches high. Leave until the leaves die back after midsummer and you will have lots of new garlic bulbs to see you well into winter.

nanna8 Tue 02-Mar-21 12:36:50

Also, whilst we are on the subject, I always plant sprouted potatoes rather than chuck them out. They grow like topsy and I love harvesting them and discovering the number of potatoes they produce. They are interspersed with other plants.

nanna8 Tue 02-Mar-21 12:34:19

I’m growing it,too. After it has flowered and died back I think you can harvest the bulb. They are very nice. Quite an attractive flower, similar to a small onion.

GagaJo Tue 02-Mar-21 12:27:52

Interesting. Let us know what they taste like.

Witzend Tue 02-Mar-21 11:43:17

I use quite a lot of garlic and recently noticed that several cloves had small green shoots.
So I stuck them in a pot that had contained growing basil. The first was only about a week ago and they’re growing like Triffids! Some of the shoots are already over 20 cm tall.

No idea what they’ll taste like - presumably vaguely garlicky - but I’m going to try some in a stir fry tonight.
I’m sure someone else must have done this - worth bothering or not?