Gransnet forums

Food

What is the best food you've had while travelling?

(106 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 16-May-21 23:08:28

I've had a variety of yummy food, while travelling. But the best has NEVER been in fancy restaurants, but always street food.

In Spain, handmade churros, piped by hand into hot oil at 7am, in a market for breakfast.

In New Mexico, tacos made on a street stall. 35 years later and I still crave them.

In China, noodles from a street stall, eaten outside, sitting on some grubby steps, watching the street hawkers sell their wares. Also scallion pancakes.

growstuff Mon 17-May-21 09:54:51

I agree with you Marydoll. Bratwurst from street vendors are "lecker", especially with potato salad and mustard. I have many happy memories of eating them.

Lin52 Mon 17-May-21 09:54:54

A feast in Jordan, hummus like you never tasted, huge roast lamb, fresh dates, after a memorable walk to Petra.

Kate1949 Mon 17-May-21 09:58:53

So many that I can't recall. A few lunches spring to mind. Mussels and chips in La Rochelle. Crab sandwiches at The Pilchard Inn on Burgh Island. Lots of lovely fish and chips at the seaside in the UK.

GagaJo Mon 17-May-21 10:06:02

Oooo I forgot one. Gyros in... of all places, Whitley Bay from a street food truck.

Stomach is grumbling just thinking about it.

hazel93 Mon 17-May-21 10:08:47

Portugal, years ago when you could watch the fishermen throw the creels in a line up to waiting restaurants. Straight on the BBQ, new pots. simple salad and Vinho Verde.
"Sandwiches" on the creek in Dubai.
Mackerel in a pub in Mevagissey.
I'm boring you now but could go on .......

annodomini Mon 17-May-21 10:11:39

In 1964, I was travelling by train to Austria with two friends. We had to change trains at Basle where we had breakfast. That coffee was like nothing I had ever tasted and the crisp rolls with black cherry jam were like manna from heaven. I have never, in 57 years forgotten that simple but delicious breakfast.

TwiceAsNice Mon 17-May-21 10:20:24

Fish and chips in a harbour cafe at Falmouth, Cornwall

Crab granary bread sandwiches in Tenby, West Wales

Enormous mussels on a boat trip on NZ

Huge lobster in Texas USA

Redhead56 Mon 17-May-21 10:30:05

Roast lamb and potato’s with salad in Piskopiano Crete about forty years ago. Fresh sardines and salad when staying in Albufeira Algarve ten years ago. Closer to home salt beef bagel from the Beigel Bake Brick lane after attending a relatives wedding.

Deedaa Mon 17-May-21 10:34:04

Breakfast at a hotel in Ibiza in 1968. Bowls of milky coffee (which I usually loathe) and crusty rolls with apricot jam. Bliss! Sadly the rest of the meals were pretty naff.

Lunch sitting by Lake Iseo in Italy. An Italian version of fish fingers and chips with some deep fried olives. Plastic tables and chairs, paper plates, with a crowd of Italians stopping for lunch. I loved it.

geekesse Mon 17-May-21 10:45:30

It’s a toss up between shwermas in Dubai in the very old days (before high rise and posh hotels) (much smaller than similarly names monstrosities sold in ‘arabic’ restaurants here), koftas in Cairo (meat hacked off the carcass while we waited, minced and then cooked over charcoal), or ful medammus from the khan in Cairo (fava beans baked slowly overnight, served on the street by vendors carrying large pots of the stuff on their back.)

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-May-21 10:45:57

A Papaya salad on a small Thai Island Beach.

Sardines (bocheroni (sp) straight off of the boat and cooked over charcoal at the beach in Spain st bottom of Mums road.

Sarnia Mon 17-May-21 11:15:32

The most mouth-watering pork pie, hand made in a tiny baker's shop in a Yorkshire village. Crumbly, buttery pastry around tasty, spicy pork and a gorgeous jelly. The best I have ever tasted. Sorry Melton Mowbray!

nanna8 Mon 17-May-21 11:44:31

We had these giant tiger prawns in Singapore. They were the size of small lobsters, just beautiful cooked on an open barbecue in one of their open air markets at night. I can’t get them here. We get tiger prawns but they are small compared with those ones and somehow don’t have the same flavour.

nanna8 Mon 17-May-21 11:46:24

Oh I long for the day when we can travel again, reading about these lovely foods brings back memories. I’d get on a plane to Asia tomorrow if I could.

Callistemon Mon 17-May-21 12:01:01

In Portugal, sitting outside under a pergola, a lunch of fresh sardines, delicious crusty bread and a carafe of local wine.
In Croatia on a yacht, fresh fish and delicious sauteed potatoes, local wine.

Greek yogurt and delicious breakfasts in Crete

The most enormous meal we had was in Port Douglas, we took half of ours home for the dogs.

Callistemon Mon 17-May-21 12:01:52

Triple fried chips in a pub not far from here!!

Blondiescot Mon 17-May-21 13:19:19

A Turkish village breakfast, eaten in a little restaurant which had a stream flowing through it, with ducks and chickens roaming about. You could see them baking the bread to go with the breakfast. Everything about it was home made there on the premises and so fresh and delicious.

Cosmo14 Wed 19-May-21 11:04:08

Pad kra pao , minced pork with Thai basil from a street vendor in Thailand

readalot Wed 19-May-21 11:07:56

I am a very fussy eater but I have had some lovely meals in turkey. I had just started to eat garlic bread through going abroad, the last time we were there we went to a restaurant which we had been to previous years and we were served garlic bread at the start of our meal, it was a small round shape and was very soft, it was the nicest bread I have ever had. Depending on which restaurant you went to you got served different breads. Another type was similar to naan bread which was also good

Deedaa Wed 19-May-21 11:08:43

I should also mention a little restaurant halfway up a mountain in Italy. It was empty when we turned up so they took us into their own kitchen and cooked us pork chops over the open fire.

Krispii Wed 19-May-21 11:13:24

Red salmon and chips in Canada

susieq3 Wed 19-May-21 11:17:34

Incredible steak in a Detroit steak house. They where on display in freezers with shelves and you chose the one you wanted.
The best salmon sandwich ever in Canada.

Nannagarra Wed 19-May-21 11:19:02

As we’re wary of street food, I’ll add ribolitta in a restaurant in Florence. Quite often it was sold out.

Susieq62 Wed 19-May-21 11:19:04

Too many to mention them all but really memorable was at Haven restaurant in Siem Reap run by a Swiss couple who trained those young people leaving care to work in hospitality.The food was heavenly!
The Curry House in Candolin Goa, best chicken korma ever but other half could not finish his vindaloo ??
Street food in Negumbo Sri Lanka on a back street from a trolley all made by the seller’s mum.
Fresh sardines and chilled red wine from a beach bar in Malaga.
Finally a hot pork sandwich and chips with Vinho Verde at a local cafe in Porto served by a dishy waiter.

1summer Wed 19-May-21 11:25:38

Love Bettys in Goa, if I remember we went on a boat trip organised by Bettys the food they cooked was amazing!