Gransnet forums

Food

What is the best food you've had while travelling?

(106 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 16-May-21 23:08:28

I've had a variety of yummy food, while travelling. But the best has NEVER been in fancy restaurants, but always street food.

In Spain, handmade churros, piped by hand into hot oil at 7am, in a market for breakfast.

In New Mexico, tacos made on a street stall. 35 years later and I still crave them.

In China, noodles from a street stall, eaten outside, sitting on some grubby steps, watching the street hawkers sell their wares. Also scallion pancakes.

TerriBull Thu 20-May-21 07:12:41

Many years ago, falafels encased in a flat bread from a street vendor in Israel, I'd never had them before, they were delicious.

Esspee Thu 20-May-21 07:56:01

Doubles in Tobago. It’s a chick pea curry wrapped in two small Indian breads like fist sized parathas with a relish and hot pepper sauce which can blow your head off.
It’s our staple breakfast and the vendor says he is there every day except when he’s not!

justwokeup Thu 20-May-21 09:55:17

Driving around the lochs in Scotland in the summer holidays, predictably cold and wet, the only food we could find was a baker's stall selling fresh bread and cabbage soup, of all things. Just a clear soup with a few added herbs. Who knew cabbage soup could be so delicious?

GagaJo Thu 20-May-21 10:22:22

Just thought of another one. A smoothie, made to order, by a street vendor in Shanghai. Mango, peeled in front of me. Strawberries, hulled while I waited. Not so much blended as pulped. Mmmm. Healthy and delicious.

JackyB Thu 20-May-21 12:37:59

TerriBull

Many years ago, falafels encased in a flat bread from a street vendor in Israel, I'd never had them before, they were delicious.

For me, that was the worst I've ever had. To this day I shudder at the thought of falafel and hummus. The food was the only minus point of our time in Israel. The falafel we bought from a van on a street in Bethlehem.