Gransnet forums

Food

... And what's the best food you've ever cooked yourself?

(110 Posts)
JackyB Thu 20-May-21 12:43:25

Don't be shy. Feel welcome to boast of your best cuisine accomplishment.

Mine was a simple soup made with veg I found in the fridge enriched with a piece of marrowbone. I doubt I'll ever be able to recreate that taste.

BigBertha1 Fri 21-May-21 06:55:12

My beef in red wine is very nice...Delia again.

DanniRae Fri 21-May-21 07:15:00

My chicken curry is spoken highly of. Many years ago - back in the 70s - I wanted to make a curry so went through all my cook books for curry recipes and selected all the ingredients I liked and, of course, had. My curry was born! It has changed a lot through the years - the original one had diced apple in it and sultanas. They got left out through the years. To be honest, for reasons I don't understand, I haven't made it in ages. However writing this has made me fancy it so it will be on the menu very soon smile

annsixty Fri 21-May-21 07:16:38

The meals I enjoy cooking most and eating most are my very traditional Sunday roasts and I am told I do a good one .
My roast potatoes, cooked in beef dripping are crispy and full of flavour, Yorkshire puds never fail to rise, steamed veg are tasty and crunchy and my meat is tender.
Ask me to make pastry and you wouldn’t ask again, no good at it so I stick to what I do best, simple English food.

nanna8 Fri 21-May-21 07:30:16

I cooked this curry with star anise in it on the advice of a Malaysian friend. Just chicken and veggies and the usual curry mix (coriander, cumin, onion, mustard seeds). The star anise made all the difference and I also put some sweet potato in. Trouble is they are different each time because I just chuck things in without weighing anything.

Greyduster Fri 21-May-21 09:21:51

My chicken curry always seems to go down well. I’ve been making it since we started our married life in Singapore where a lovely Indian grocer gave me the recipe and sold me the spices to go with it. I’ve tweaked it a bit over the years but have written it out for people many times.

JaneJudge Fri 21-May-21 09:38:12

People always say I cook the nicest cauliflower cheese they have ever tasted which is bizarre as I can't eat cauliflower!

GagaJo Fri 21-May-21 10:04:14

Another one I forgot. I LOVE poached pears and had a few over ripe ones a while ago. Poached them in vanilla with a sta anise in the water. Delicious! But not many people seem to like them so I ate them all.

GagaJo Fri 21-May-21 10:05:33

*star

Niobe Fri 21-May-21 10:13:21

According to my son my chicken curry has surpassed that made by my mum. She was a superb cook! My BLT is the best my husband has ever had. My lovely DiL asks for my chicken curry or my stuffed parathas whenever she craves them.

Peasblossom Fri 21-May-21 10:25:00

I once accidentally made the best ever bread and butter pudding. It was to die for.

No idea why. Never been able to repeat it.?

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 23-May-21 10:45:02

Roast rib of beef cooked in red wine? It used to be our annual Christmas dinner, but DD1 has taken over cooking Christmas dinner (also very good)

Coco51 Sun 23-May-21 10:45:33

Millionaire’s shortbread (Double quatities of toppings!)

tattygran14 Sun 23-May-21 10:46:42

I went to an evening class, and we boned a duck, and made a very time consuming sauce, which was absolutely delicious. Never made it since though. Also, thank you Delia, a chicken curry with fresh spices, wonderful.

Babs758 Sun 23-May-21 10:47:58

Chicken curry Caribbean style made with curried goat powder and additional spices and scotch bonnet peppers or pimento ma jacques. Lovely warm taste and right for a cold wet May!

kathw12 Sun 23-May-21 10:51:05

I’m not a bad cook although I don’t really enjoy cooking. My sausage meat stuffing is usually well received plus family like a dip I’ve made for donkeys years! My husband is much better than me! He made a cheesecake for our grandson’s school Christmas fare a few years ago and won first prize! Plus his pavlova is gorgeous crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle! Lush! x

Soozikinzi Sun 23-May-21 10:54:13

I make a very good Lancashire hot pot a bit of a cliche being from Lancashire but true !

olliebeak Sun 23-May-21 10:59:17

Going to a Girls' Grammar School, I didn't have Cookery or Domestic Science Lessons at school - though we did learn Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

After getting married, I treated 'cooking' like a Chemistry Experiment by writing down Purpose - Method - Outcome. I know it sounds a bit OTT, but that's how my brain worked best!

The first thing that I learned to make, after getting married, was a decent 'Shepherd's Pie' grin.

I do excellent scones - plain, sweet ones; sultanas; chopped cherries. Also savoury ones with herbs, onion or cheese!

My 'Oxtail Stew' is good - even the grandkids love it, but I don't think they've noticed that it's actually made using 'oxtail' wink.

I'm also known for my Home-made Soups. Especially my Mushroom one - NOT Cream of Mushroom.

After being diagnosed as being Coeliac four years ago, at the age of 66, I've had to adapt most of my own favourite recipes to remove anything at all that contains Gluten - ie Wheat flour, Barley (including anything with Malt such as most vinegars and things like Horlicks), Rye, Spelt, Oats and Soy Sauce. Some 'substitutes' work and others don't .................... it's all a learning curve confusedsad.

rowanflower0 Sun 23-May-21 11:02:49

My 'signature dish' is a raspberry and blueberry pavlova (other fruits too) - but I recently discovered that the same recipe, put into a lined swiss poll tin, and cooked for less time can be turned into a raspberry and lemon curd roulade - and that went down a storm!

Spec1alk Sun 23-May-21 11:10:52

My family love my boiled beef and carrots done in the pressure cooker and my cheese and onion pie. My favourite thing I have cooked is Singapore fried rice — yum!

Naninka Sun 23-May-21 11:18:48

May7

Perfect poached eggs on toast using the microwave.

How do you poach eggs in mw?

maryelizabethsadler Sun 23-May-21 11:25:46

Scentia, please could you share your recipe??? Thank you!

Theoddbird Sun 23-May-21 11:27:10

I make excellent soup... problem is I don't use a recipe. It is about putting in any sad looking veg and adding herbs etc.. I do make one soup to recipe....cauliflower cheese with smoked paprika. Always get good comments on that one. My cooking is all based on a bit of this and a bit of that. I make very colourful red green and yellow salads as well.

Grandmabeach Sun 23-May-21 11:31:58

Lasagna, Tiramisu, Chocolate Roulade - always requested by the family when they stay.
Christmas cake

Foxyferret Sun 23-May-21 11:34:02

Hate cooking, love baking. Choc cake, muffins, Victoria sandwich in lots of different flavours and fillings, cheese scones, brownies etc

cupcake1 Sun 23-May-21 11:52:23

Macaroni cheese courtesy of Delia with colourful salad and crusty bread. Also a lemon drizzle cake and muffins. I’m not the best cook in the world but these are the foods I get the most positive feedback ?!