Gransnet forums

Food

Are you experiencing big gap in the shelves in your area?

(291 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 09-Aug-21 22:03:41

What are your stories and anecdotes about the current shortage on some shelves?

M0nica Tue 10-Aug-21 07:23:48

I live in South oxfordshire. Three weeks ago, I visited a local Sainburies where there were 5 freezers in a row, which I gather usually were full of pizza. One was completely empty, the others had 2 or 3 pizza a piece.

In Waitrose, there are no long empty shelves, but lots of gaps and thinly stocked shelves. I have not been able to buy salad cream for 3 weeks because the shelf seems permanently empty.

Waitrose may pay their drivers well, but they are still having a problem getting sufficient, why else would they be advertising for more?

I do not understand all this silliness about Waitrose. Shoppers there are no different to the ones I see in Tesco or Sainbury's. In fact probaly the same.

I shop in Waitrose because their shops are usually in town centres and I get 2 hours free parking and can do all my other shopping, banking, hair appointments etc etc while I am there. The alternative is a huge out of town Tesco. Too big, far too much walking and I cannot find anything there.

NotSpaghetti Tue 10-Aug-21 07:25:16

I'm ordering online and have had no problems.

My daughter however was complaining only yesterday that her Tesco was out of "everything".
I know this can't be true but she said she found rows of empty shelves and "a lot" that she wanted to buy and couldn't.

Wish I'd asked what was missing now.

Hetty58 Tue 10-Aug-21 07:37:53

I've also had no trouble ordering online. Locals are complaining that the Co-op has missing items and gaps on the shelves (shock horror).

Honestly, though, we're usually so spoilt for choice, it's hardly a problem, just buy something else!

Casdon Tue 10-Aug-21 08:05:13

Waitrose is different Monica because the staff are treated well compared with other supermarket chains, they are shareholders. They may be advertising for staff, but they will fill their vacancies because other drivers will defect as the terms and conditions are better. I’m not saying this from any snobbery about Waitrose, it’s just a fact about the company as an employer.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 10-Aug-21 08:20:52

In the last 6 days I have been to two M & S foodhalls, Aldi’s, Sainsbury’s and farm shop (we have family staying) no shortages or gaps on shelves (S E Essex)

Jaxjacky Tue 10-Aug-21 08:21:41

Recent online deliveries have seen no chicken thighs or smoked haddock, not sure about anything else, Sainsbury’s and Tesco. S Hants.

love0c Tue 10-Aug-21 08:21:55

No, not at all. All supermarkets in my area are very well stocked. North Yorkshire.

Lillie Tue 10-Aug-21 08:27:26

waitrose had no little gems last Friday in fact no lettuce at all

brainwave was to look on the organic shelves where there was plenty

downside was it is more expensive grrrr

Shropshirelass Tue 10-Aug-21 08:28:04

Not too bad here in Shropshire, a few items mot available last week but I managed to get what I needed. I have family in Wales and they are struggling with empty shelves, having to come over the border to shop.

Petera Tue 10-Aug-21 09:02:53

The large Tesco near me seems to have problems with milk and there are huge gaps in the fruit and vegetables.

Welshwife Tue 10-Aug-21 09:20:26

Here in France the fruit has taken a hit with the bad weather we had earlier this year. In our garden the only fruit which has survived are apples - plums, pears, cherries etc all lost. I noticed when shopping last week that peaches, nectarines and melons were roughly double in price. I have found a lack of strawberries too and this an area where they are normally grown in huge quantities.

JaneJudge Tue 10-Aug-21 09:25:09

It is weird about the bread though as bread delivery drivers are employed by the bread company? Kingsmill and Warburtons always had their own regular drivers. I am only talking 5 years ago, it can't have changed that much surely?

I haven't been to any supermarkets. Ocado seemed to have a lot of chicken, ham and bread out of stock too. Didn't look at vegetable or fruit as I have a box scheme, milk off milkman. All beer/wine and tonic water seemed in stock and coke grin though I think I ordered pepsi

Lucca Tue 10-Aug-21 09:31:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Tizliz Tue 10-Aug-21 09:31:00

The only place I have found gaps is on my internet order. Went to an actual supermarket last week and no gaps on the shelves. Tesco are a pain.

timetogo2016 Tue 10-Aug-21 09:31:00

Lots of empty shelves in the midlands.
No bottled water ( which isn`t a bad thing tbh),shortage of pasta/rice/some canned food/cereal/milk/wines/beers.
It`s saving me a fortune .

Lillie Tue 10-Aug-21 09:34:55

lucca

i think someone has just come on to tell us about shortages and price rises in france
seems to be a europe wide prob

anna7 Tue 10-Aug-21 09:51:25

@janejudge Bread companies do have their regular drivers who were always paid well and had the other benefits of working for a big company, such as pension schemes, sick pay, union membership etc. In the last few years though, certainly in the bigger cities like London, drivers have been employed through agencies and have had non of the benefits associated with working for a big, reputable company. I don't know their contract conditions but their pay was considerably lower with no job security. Some of these drivers were European and have now gone back home. Hopefully we can go back to drivers being employed directly by the companies again with decent conditions. Of course prices will probably go up but I'm sure these companies can afford to offer decent pay as they did previously.

Callistemon Tue 10-Aug-21 10:03:24

I've just remembered that Waitrose did not have the Sauvignon Blanc we wanted.

I do hope no-one overheard me complaining about that and the avocados blush

Polarbear2 Tue 10-Aug-21 10:16:58

Hetty58

I've also had no trouble ordering online. Locals are complaining that the Co-op has missing items and gaps on the shelves (shock horror).

Honestly, though, we're usually so spoilt for choice, it's hardly a problem, just buy something else!

There was NO bread. What do you suggest?. NB the purchaser was a 99yr old lady so none of your ‘bake your own’ lark thanks. Bit patronising if you don’t mind me saying so. I’m all right jack??

halfpint1 Tue 10-Aug-21 10:17:25

No shortages in France, no Frexit either

henetha Tue 10-Aug-21 10:20:42

Just tonic water. None except the very expensive sort in the Coop and also Tesco.

Witzend Tue 10-Aug-21 10:20:42

Casdon

Definitely not MawBe, I can’t knit to save my life - and it’s not me that eats Shreddies either, it’s my son. The gin I will admit to, but a lack of tonic has kept me on the straight and narrow, so the shortages must be a blessing in disguise.

Asda do their own version - Malted Wheaties. I buy them now and then and can’t tell the difference. Plenty on the shelves the other day.

MawBe Tue 10-Aug-21 10:31:53

Callistemon

I've just remembered that Waitrose did not have the Sauvignon Blanc we wanted.

I do hope no-one overheard me complaining about that and the avocados blush

That reminds me of the Midlands Meet-up of years ago - JessM, Hellogirl, Glitabo, and many more.
After the art Gallery we repaired to a hotel —to carry on drinking— and I think it was Galen who ordered a glass of white wine , suggesting a Sauvignon Blanc from the young waiter.
He looked nonplussed then stammered that he didn’t think they had any Sauvignon Blanc “in the white”.
Those were the days gringrin

Polarbear2 Tue 10-Aug-21 10:34:07

halfpint1

No shortages in France, no Frexit either

Show off ??. I wish…

JaneJudge Tue 10-Aug-21 10:38:50

anna7 thank you for your reply smile it seems treating people well and fairly is a solution to many work based problems