Gransnet forums

Food

Type of nibbles people like?

(39 Posts)
Jellygran Sun 15-Aug-21 16:25:46

I am hosting a pamper evening for about 12 ladies in September. I am a bit rusty when it comes to the type of nibbles people like. Any ideas?

Witzend Sat 18-Sep-21 09:55:37

A relative of dh has a lovely chateau in Burgundy where we’ve often stayed. One one occasion, as well as a lot of house guests, he was hosting a lunch in the garden for various other people, either locals or others staying nearby.

I usually took a big piece of cooked gammon (always went down well) in a cold box with ice packs (we always drive) and on this occasion I’d chucked in a couple of packs of best quality frozen sausages, since I knew the relative liked them, to serve as extra ice packs.

Shortly before this garden lunch I remembered that the sausages were in the fridge, ready to be cooked, so guess what - I cooked them, cut them up and served them as retro sausages on sticks.
They all vanished so fast, you wouldn’t believe!

Aveline Sat 18-Sep-21 11:13:03

The best nibbles I ever had were at a GN lunch. Cascats had made her mini cheese scones. These were the size of a 2p piece. Some were cheese and some were cheese and herb. I must have eaten the entire contents of the bowl next to me!

Witzend Sat 18-Sep-21 11:19:48

A French neighbour of the relative I mentioned before, makes gougere for nibbles. (should be a grave accent on that e). TBH I could make an utter pig of myself on that. Still haven’t tried making it, though.

Ashcombe Sat 18-Sep-21 11:30:05

I usually took a big piece of cooked gammon (always went down well) in a cold box with ice packs (we always drive) and on this occasion I’d chucked in a couple of packs of best quality frozen sausages

Witzend: A great pity that such imports to France by travellers are no longer possible in these post Brexit days.

Aveline Sat 18-Sep-21 13:34:13

Witzend I just googled gougere and realise we'd had some in Paris. A bowl of them were brought with our drinks in a beautiful little courtyard near a fountain. They were absolutely scrummy. A very happy memory.

3nanny6 Sat 18-Sep-21 13:49:13

Cubed cheese on sticks also still like pineapple and cheese on sticks but so old fashioned now. Green olives in lemon juice,
hummus the Greek one with carrot batons to dip into it.
French stick cut into chunks and topped with smoked salmon.

Witzend Sun 19-Sep-21 11:58:34

Ashcombe

^I usually took a big piece of cooked gammon (always went down well) in a cold box with ice packs (we always drive) and on this occasion I’d chucked in a couple of packs of best quality frozen sausages^

Witzend: A great pity that such imports to France by travellers are no longer possible in these post Brexit days.

When we eventually go again I will probably take some anyway and feign daft old bag ignorance in the unlikely event that our car is searched. ?

MayBeMaw Sun 19-Sep-21 14:25:52

CanadianGran

When hosting book group I will usually put out a deli/charcuterie plate with a selection of cheese, salami or ham, some olives and dip/hummus along with crackers.

I have a recipe for a hot crab dip that everyone loves, served with crostini.

I will usually bake something easily cut into squares or slices, like lemon squares or banana loaf.

Don’t tell my book group.
They’’ll be getting a packet of Duchy Original biscuits - if they’re lucky!
Of course I do have the excuse that dips are strictly out since the pandemic!

Sago Sun 19-Sep-21 15:32:33

Parmesan shortbreads ( easy to make, freeze the dough) with pesto and a tomato slither.
Fried halloumi and Lidl de swapo melon skewers.
Gazpacho or similar in shot glasses.
Croustades filled with haggis and a scrambled egg topping.
Smoked salmon on brown bread.
Posh cheese on toast, sourdough topped with Brie and anchovy and sliced tomato, bake and serve cut into squares.
Mini Yorkshire puddings stuffed with a cocktail sausage and mushy peas.
Beautiful olive oil with a balsamic syrup and a warm French stick torn up to dip.
Make little cones from photocopies of newspaper line with grease proof paper and fill with fish goujons and a lemon wedge, tartare sauce for dipping.

JavierPerero Mon 27-Sep-21 17:51:29

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

GillT57 Mon 27-Sep-21 18:26:26

Sago

Parmesan shortbreads ( easy to make, freeze the dough) with pesto and a tomato slither.
Fried halloumi and Lidl de swapo melon skewers.
Gazpacho or similar in shot glasses.
Croustades filled with haggis and a scrambled egg topping.
Smoked salmon on brown bread.
Posh cheese on toast, sourdough topped with Brie and anchovy and sliced tomato, bake and serve cut into squares.
Mini Yorkshire puddings stuffed with a cocktail sausage and mushy peas.
Beautiful olive oil with a balsamic syrup and a warm French stick torn up to dip.
Make little cones from photocopies of newspaper line with grease proof paper and fill with fish goujons and a lemon wedge, tartare sauce for dipping.

There must be mistake, my invitation hasn't arrived? I can bring a nice chilled bottle of Prosecco???

Sago Mon 27-Sep-21 20:04:27

GillT57 A bottle will guarantee entry.
I love making canapés, it’s fiddly but so delicious.
I could graze all day on canapés. ?

GillT57 Mon 27-Sep-21 20:43:50

Sago

GillT57 A bottle will guarantee entry.
I love making canapés, it’s fiddly but so delicious.
I could graze all day on canapés. ?

As could I. I think I am meant to be a modern day equivalent of the wealthy Romans who loafed about eating grapes. Instead I shall drink the grapes and eat exquisite hors d'oeuvres and impress with my knowledge and wit. grin