Gransnet forums

Food

Eccentric (not X-rated) Food ? ?

(100 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 11-Sep-21 10:00:43

Hello all!

As a reprieve and something of a palate cleanser from all of the steamy goings on across the forums. blush

What do you like to eat that others think is a bit weird; unhealthy; even down right common?
Strange concoctions; odd recipes (sausage meat lasagne, anyone? wink); or bizarre stuff your kids ate?

I’m something of on expert in ^Kettle Cuisine^; cup a soups (with M&S cheese twists); Pot Noodles and their cousins Supa Noodles; and more recently Idahoan Instant Mash (with the addition of Babybel cheese).
All eaten in the comfort of my bed smile

(I am aware that I have set the embarrassment bar high here.)

Thank you! x

dragonfly46 Sat 11-Sep-21 10:02:10

I still like chip butties but don't eat them very often. I also like cheese with fruit cake - a Yorkshire tradition I believe.

Beechnut Sat 11-Sep-21 10:04:24

Rich tea biscuits and currants.

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Sep-21 10:04:31

Yes, chip butties, yum, two carbing.
I had a Portuguese friend who was literally gobsmacked and horrified that such a thing even existed, let alone was widely available in UK pubs.

crazyH Sat 11-Sep-21 10:06:58

Creamcrackers , topped with butter and jam

V3ra Sat 11-Sep-21 10:12:51

Weetabix spread with butter and marmalade, if I haven't got time to wait for toast to cook ?

tanith Sat 11-Sep-21 10:25:14

Cream crackers with cheese and ketchup.

Kate1949 Sat 11-Sep-21 10:25:22

Fish paste sandwiches. Dry Weetabix buttered. Cheese and onion crisps sandwiches on white bread.

Kate1949 Sat 11-Sep-21 10:26:30

Snap (almost) v3ra

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Sep-21 10:33:00

Cream crackers are getting a lot of love

I had another friend who smothered everything in Sainsbury’s blue cheese sauce.
DH’s friend does the same with brown sauce

GagaJo Sat 11-Sep-21 10:33:13

Cold baked beans. Mmmm yes to fish paste or crisp sandwiches. Tinned mushy peas. Toasted cheese sandwiches with microwaved cheese (not often, they're artery clogging).

Chip shop chips and Chinese takeaway chow mein (again, very very rarely, arteries can't take the grease).

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Sep-21 10:37:33

GagaJo I love cheese toasties done in the toastie machine.
And with Heinz tomato soup.
I haven’t had one for years

JaneJudge Sat 11-Sep-21 10:38:54

Well we are watching James Martins show atm and they were doing an apple puree wth celeriac something or other and I said to my husband, sounds the perfect constipation cure, not sure I'd want t in a restaurant.

My Stepdad is obsessed with that Idahoan mash

I like tinned tomto soup with melted grated cheese on top

Callistemon Sat 11-Sep-21 10:39:48

Digestive biscuits spread with butter

Frozen peas straight from the packet

Nortsat Sat 11-Sep-21 10:40:51

What a great thread.

Grace Dent who writes very good restaurant reviews in the Guardian has created a series of Podcasts called Comfort Eating.
She interviews (comparatively) well known people about their favourite comfort foods. These have included Krishnan Guru Murthy (C4 News) whose favourite student comfort food was rice pudding straight from the tin, and Deborah Meadon (Dragons Den), who loves sausages spread with marmite!

Grace’s Podcasts are a fun listen and you can find them at Guardian Podcasts or Apple Podcasts. Sorry I can’t attach a link.

My favourite is marmite and butter in a baked potato ?

aggie Sat 11-Sep-21 10:42:19

Does anyone remember the date and tinned orange segments on brown bread sandwiches ? The height of sophitication in the late 50s ?

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Sep-21 10:42:26

Callistemon my mom used to eat frozen peas like that.
I’ve since learned that dogs really like them too, even my little dog who carefully spits out all of the bits of veg in her wet food hmm

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Sep-21 10:43:26

aggie

Does anyone remember the date and tinned orange segments on brown bread sandwiches ? The height of sophitication in the late 50s ?

Wow! Never heard of that!

GagaJo Sat 11-Sep-21 10:43:28

FannyCornforth

GagaJo I love cheese toasties done in the toastie machine.
And with Heinz tomato soup.
I haven’t had one for years

Oh me too, with the toastie machine. So much so I won't buy one, because I know I'd given in to eating one every night.

GagaJo Sat 11-Sep-21 10:43:40

*I'd give

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Sep-21 10:45:00

Yes Jo, I’ve been through that phase too

Callistemon Sat 11-Sep-21 10:45:58

I don't eat a lot of frozen peas, FannyC, just a few if I open the packet; they taste different frozen!
I know another gransnetter used to do that too but she hasn't posted for ages, more's the pity. I need a frozen pea ally!

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Sep-21 10:47:20

Yes, they’re really sweet

Nortsat Sat 11-Sep-21 10:50:46

Callistemon ... I am going to try frozen peas straight from the packet, the next time I use them ... I may become your FP ally!

Callistemon Sat 11-Sep-21 10:58:19

Oh yes, do, Nortsat!

I'm beginning to feel rather alone on this thread (apart from FannyC's dog.