Gransnet forums

Food

SCONES !

(43 Posts)
Lucca Sat 25-Sep-21 11:37:09

Why can I never make scones? They always end up flat.
I want to make some mini ones …plain, not fruit. I know I could buy them but I want to show I’ve made an effort.
I have a normal electric fan oven.

Foolproof recipe please !

Deedaa Sun 26-Sep-21 22:11:25

I never used to make scones because mine always came out like little bullets. Then I started working in a cafe where we used a scone mix to make our own scones. I found that once I got used to the texture of the dough when the mix was made up I could go home and make scones that actually worked.

Hetty58 Sun 26-Sep-21 22:22:48

I often make half quantities - as I know I'm going to eat them all. (I mean to freeze some, but it rarely happens.)

Vegan scones:

400g self raising flour
half teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100g vegetable margarine (I use Flora - as you need a high fat content)
200ml water - or oat milk

bake at 200C for about 12 minutes

Scones get tough if they are kneaded or overworked. I just make a round, about an inch thick, and cut almost through into slices.

You could add some raisins or sultanas (soaked then drained) - or a little strong, grated cheese and some mustard powder.

Granmarderby10 Sun 26-Sep-21 22:38:22

I made the lemonade scones that were featured in the Gransnet thread under ridiculously easy recipes in the food forum they were gorgeous ( need to find out the metric equivalent of “cup measures” though) and very tender and far too easy to eat more than one or (three) of. ?.. however try and only make what you need as they go mouldy after about 2 days.
I’m going to try making them with added lemon zest

NotTooOld Sun 26-Sep-21 22:51:48

I agree about the baking powder. Adding one teaspoon of the stuff makes a big difference in the rising.

Callistemon Sun 26-Sep-21 23:06:50

They look better than mine, Lucca

However, the last lot I made were a bit better than usual because I remembered my aunt saying you couldn't make scones without cream of tartar. I added a level teaspoon of cream of tartar last time and they were lighter.

Lucca Mon 27-Sep-21 03:57:26

Callistemon

They look better than mine, Lucca

However, the last lot I made were a bit better than usual because I remembered my aunt saying you couldn't make scones without cream of tartar. I added a level teaspoon of cream of tartar last time and they were lighter.

Thanks ! I put cream and jam on them and they went down well.

LullyDully Mon 27-Sep-21 08:33:37

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be an argument over "scons" or "scowns", so that's a relief .

Home made scones are delicious and need to be made deep to prevent them being like thick biscuits. An internet recipe should do. Any how they taste good.

Newquay Mon 27-Sep-21 08:51:09

I made some scones when first married (1970) and a sister in law thought they were rock cakes! Another sister in law gave me a recipe (which includes baking powder) which I’ve used ever since and had endless compliments! I like the 10 minute rule and leaving them quite deep too-stick at it Lucca, good advice here!

TillyTrotter Mon 27-Sep-21 08:56:04

These are my tips Lucca
When the mixture seems too sticky (sticks to your fingers) it’s probably just right. Handle carefully (no need for a rolling pin) and use a straight sided cutter. Just cut them with one push - no twisting.
Good Luck - post a photo if you can.
PS Mary Berry’s cheese scones are my favourite.

geekesse Mon 27-Sep-21 08:59:34

How old is your SR flour? If you are using old flour, the baking powder element loses its effect after a while, and then they don’t rise.

Greyduster Mon 27-Sep-21 09:08:18

John Lewis cafeteria used to have wonderful cheese scones - but no JL here now☹️. Someone on here - in the Soop’s kitchen thread I think - gave a recipe for the QE2’s scones. It was a large quantity recipe, but the scones were the best risen I’ve ever made. I’ve never made them since - too much of a faff. Lemonade scones are light and do rise, but they don’t seem to keep more than a day.

Nannylovesshopping Mon 27-Sep-21 09:17:21

I always put a egg in mine, and half teaspoon baking powder, get a good rise and they freeze well.

Lucca Mon 27-Sep-21 09:53:07

TillyTrotter

These are my tips Lucca
When the mixture seems too sticky (sticks to your fingers) it’s probably just right. Handle carefully (no need for a rolling pin) and use a straight sided cutter. Just cut them with one push - no twisting.
Good Luck - post a photo if you can.
PS Mary Berry’s cheese scones are my favourite.

Er…..I did post a photo!!

TillyTrotter Mon 27-Sep-21 10:14:16

Sorry Lucca . How did they taste? Were they good?

Lucca Mon 27-Sep-21 10:17:03

Yes, as I said earlier (!!). I put cream and jam on and they were well received ?

4allweknow Mon 27-Sep-21 12:40:33

minimoon my recipe is the same as yours with very slight differences. Being old school start with 5 fl ozs of milk and if too stiff add a little more drop by drop. I never grease the baking tray: always lightly dust with flour. I know this recipe came from a BeRo cook book approx 70 years ago.Never fails

4allweknow Mon 27-Sep-21 12:43:21

Haven't read all the posts so you may have been given the hint of using a cup or a tumbler to cut out your scones or biscuits. Though the gingerbread ones are cute!