Gransnet forums

Food

Gnocchi

(21 Posts)
Ali08 Mon 07-Feb-22 20:46:57

Nonogran

Doesn’t the packet tell you how to use it? I expect you cook it in boiling water & as it rises to the top you know it’s cooked? Spoon off & keep warm.
I’d make an Italian tomato sauce (recipe on internet? Tinned tomatoes etc) and after I’d cooked the gnocchi I’d pour sauce over it. Grate cheese on top and devour.

I thought gnocchi was cheese! Oh dear, the cook in the house wonders if it's pasta?
Haha, now I'm intrigued to try it!!

Yammy Tue 01-Feb-22 10:26:55

I sometimes boil them and serve with any Italian sauce that is going, or you can put Pesto and Parmigiano on them.
Other things I do is pop them into a second-day pasta sauce or casserole no need for pasta then make sure there is plenty of liquid and they will cook. Also if we have are having fried chops or chicken I throw them into the pan with a splash of wine. Or you can roast them with a bit of olive oil. Sainsbury's sell their own and spinach flavoured ones by a company called Rana.wine

Anrol Tue 01-Feb-22 10:25:17

They are just potatoes. Lovely little things. Fry gently for 3/4 mins in a little butter but give them a little colour. I use them exactly as I would boiled or roasted potatoes. Tonight for dinner they will be on the same plate as the slow cooked shin of beef I can smell cooking…. Is it dinner time yet?

paddyann54 Tue 01-Feb-22 10:18:49

I like a blue cheese sauce over them ,gorgonzola works well

Witzend Tue 01-Feb-22 10:15:37

Deedaa

It's the simplest thing in the world to cook. Put it in a pan of salted, boiling water, wait till the gnocchi rise to the top and then simmer for two minutes.

I like to serve them with sage butter and parmigiano but a tomato sauce either bought or homemade is good. Shopbought gnocchi are fine but you can't beat them homemade.

For a long time a dd had an Italian boyfriend who came to stay now and then.
One day he went in search of gnocchi at the local big Asda - couldn’t find them, so asked a member of staff.

They had never heard of such a thing - until somehow he made them understand that they were pronounced with a silent G.
Oh, Gnocchi!
And led him to the right aisle.
Actually he said they were surprisingly good!

shysal Tue 01-Feb-22 10:10:13

I am another who boils first then roasts in the oven with grated parmesan. They are lovely and crispy.

Nannee49 Tue 01-Feb-22 09:24:39

Try retaining some of the cooking water after draining then stir in some chunks of Cambazola or even Stilton adding back the cooking water bit by bit until you have a yummy, silky sauce.

JackyB Tue 01-Feb-22 09:21:15

Just drop them in a soup or stew (instead of dumplings) for the last few minutes before serving. Careful though - they are very stodgy and filling, you won't need as many as you think.

GagaJo Mon 31-Jan-22 22:42:32

MiniMoon

My daughter air fries gnocchi which makes it deliciously crispy. She says it is delicious with meatballs and a fresh tomato sauce.

Second this. I can't stand boiled gnocchi. Fried however, it's lovely.

Humbertbear Mon 31-Jan-22 21:53:35

Fry the gnocchi. They taste much better that way and use like pasta with a sauce or put in a tray bake.

Redhead56 Mon 31-Jan-22 20:42:54

Jamie has a recipe from 15 minute meals gnocchi with chorizo it's delicious. If you don't eat meat chestnut mushroom is also a nice addition.

MiniMoon Mon 31-Jan-22 20:40:31

My daughter air fries gnocchi which makes it deliciously crispy. She says it is delicious with meatballs and a fresh tomato sauce.

Granniesunite Mon 31-Jan-22 20:35:16

Like the idea of roasting it..

Deedaa Mon 31-Jan-22 20:27:19

It's the simplest thing in the world to cook. Put it in a pan of salted, boiling water, wait till the gnocchi rise to the top and then simmer for two minutes.

I like to serve them with sage butter and parmigiano but a tomato sauce either bought or homemade is good. Shopbought gnocchi are fine but you can't beat them homemade.

Pudding123 Mon 31-Jan-22 20:23:20

I would roast it after it rises to the top( find it a bit slimey just cooked in boiling water)in an oven dish with a few sage leaves with a drizzle of olive oil then grate some fresh parmesan or alternatively a good tomato sauce then parmesan.

Grandmabatty Mon 31-Jan-22 20:22:55

Literally stick in boiling water and it's done when it rises to the surface. About two minutes. I put it in a tomato sauce and then grate parmesan cheese over. Delicious.

HowVeryDareYou Mon 31-Jan-22 20:22:43

Sorry, I know it needs to be boiled, I just meant what to have with it. I'll try one of the the suggestions. Red wine, eh..... yes, I'll have a couple of glasses grin

Pantglas2 Mon 31-Jan-22 20:20:03

Mixed seafood and white sauce in oven proof dish topped with cooked gnocchi brushed with melted butter - 25 mins at Fan 180. Serve with peppery rocket salad ?

Granniesunite Mon 31-Jan-22 20:19:17

Make fresh tomato sauce to go with it and serve with salad parmigiana and crusty bread… let me know when it’s ready… not sure how to cook gnocchi just boil it like pasta I’d think.

Don’t forget the red wine…..

Nonogran Mon 31-Jan-22 20:18:43

Doesn’t the packet tell you how to use it? I expect you cook it in boiling water & as it rises to the top you know it’s cooked? Spoon off & keep warm.
I’d make an Italian tomato sauce (recipe on internet? Tinned tomatoes etc) and after I’d cooked the gnocchi I’d pour sauce over it. Grate cheese on top and devour.

HowVeryDareYou Mon 31-Jan-22 20:14:50

Has anyone got any ideas on what to do with a packet of gnocchi (apart from throwing it in the bin)? I bought it, now don't really know how to use it