Gransnet forums

Food

Savoy cabbage

(53 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 15-Feb-22 10:06:02

For some reason I'm currently into Savoy cabbage! I slice it thinly and blanch for a few minutes in boiling salted water then saute in oil & butter with crispy lardons - very tasty.

I eat a lot of vegetables but had forgotten the humble cabbage. Anyone else into brassicas? ???

Willow73 Wed 16-Feb-22 10:03:42

Mamie’s recipe.

Witzend Wed 16-Feb-22 10:04:59

AreWeThereYet

I love all brassicas - I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to steam some brussels then eat them with some butter and pepper ?

I did read somewhere that the sulphur compounds in brassicas (the ones that make them smell awful when cooked too long) help your hair to keep it's colour longer. So maybe this is the test - how many posters who eat lots of brassicas went grey early??

I wish I could put the fact that I’m not yet grey at 70+ down to all the brassicas we eat, but it’s much more likely to be genetic. My mother still wasn’t grey when she died at 97 - her hair was a sort of very faded mouse.

She was formerly what they used to call a strawberry blonde, i.e. a reddish blonde, and at about 80 had a serious falling out with a neighbour who’d accused her of lying when she said she didn’t dye it!