Gransnet forums

Food

Savoy cabbage

(52 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 15-Feb-22 10:06:02

For some reason I'm currently into Savoy cabbage! I slice it thinly and blanch for a few minutes in boiling salted water then saute in oil & butter with crispy lardons - very tasty.

I eat a lot of vegetables but had forgotten the humble cabbage. Anyone else into brassicas? ???

Peasblossom Tue 15-Feb-22 10:09:47

Me too. I love cabbage of all kinds, especially sautéed in butter with a spoon of whole grain mustard.

My bed of kale has kept me going all winter and the sprouting broccoli should be ready in a couple of weeks.

What would winter meals be without brassicas!?

Jaxjacky Tue 15-Feb-22 10:12:56

I love it and use it instead of rice for me in meals as well, MrJ not too keen. I also love sprouts, but hated them as a child.

MiniMoon Tue 15-Feb-22 10:14:30

My favourite cabbage is spring greens. I cut it into thin strips and steam it.
I also make chinese crispy seaweed (cabbage) with it.
I'm not keen on savoy cabbage. There are too many little crevices that harbour soil. It takes too long to clean it.

Susie42 Tue 15-Feb-22 10:17:17

I love all and any of the brassicas but I’m not supposed to eat too much as I’m on Warfarin. I can always tell when I’ve eaten too much as my INR goes down.

Aldom Tue 15-Feb-22 10:18:09

I love all the brassica vegetables. My mouth is watering as I type. I can remember enjoying cabbage as a child and have always liked sprouts. The secret is not to overcook brassicas isn't it. Someone mentioned on the Air Fryers thread, cooking sprouts in the air fryer, and how amazing they taste.

silverlining48 Tue 15-Feb-22 10:19:12

We love red cabbage sliced and cooked with s dash of oil. apple, vinegar and tbs sugar. Cranberries or bacon pieces can be added. Delicious ?
Easy to freeze tastes even better reheated.

Witzend Tue 15-Feb-22 10:27:50

We like all the brassicas. All cabbage, sprouts, you name it. I’ve nearly always got some white cabbage in, too. I use it shredded in salads - unlike lettuce it keeps for ages in the fridge.

grannyrebel7 Tue 15-Feb-22 10:28:48

Love cabbage of all kinds. I often use it in salads instead of lettuce.

MaizieD Tue 15-Feb-22 10:29:33

I love cabbage! Sliced very thinly' immediately before cooking so as to try to retain some vit.C, into saucepan with a splash of water, knob of butter and salt and pepper, cover, bring to boil, cook for a few minutes (keeping shaking the pan so it doesn't burn). Nothing nicer.

I like all cabbage apart from that solid white one, I think it's tasteless. Not even particularly good in cole slaw. I use any cabbage I've got for that; savoy as well.

I grew kale about 40 years ago and thought it was tough, bitter and not particularly pleasant so I've never had it since.

Does it taste different these days? It's a very rewarding thing to grow in terms of its quantity and staying power so I'd give it another go if people can persuade me it's actually nice grin

Aveline Tue 15-Feb-22 10:29:39

Cabbage, pan roasted in butter and liberally sprinkled with caraway seeds was a delicious staple of my (long lost) youth.

shysal Tue 15-Feb-22 10:34:11

I like the pointy sweetheart cabbages. I shred them and microwave with seasoning and butter, with bacon rashers on top. A sheet of kitchen roll prevents splashes.

I also use shredded white cabbage with bolognaise instead of spaghetti as a low calorie option.

LadyGracie Tue 15-Feb-22 10:44:37

We're into sweetheart cabbage at the moment. Sautéed savoy and Brussel sprouts are delicious.
I can't get on with kale and spinach, but we eat all over vegetables.

Caleo Tue 15-Feb-22 10:57:06

I prefer sweetheart cabbage as it's easier to wash. I cut it into fines trips boil for two minutes and add butter, chili powder, and veg Oxo. Very nice as stovies with powdered potato. Needs a serious amount of butter.

Sago Tue 15-Feb-22 11:11:08

Try not putting cabbage anywhere near water!
Slice,toss in butter and a little oil, season and braise or sauté.

AreWeThereYet Tue 15-Feb-22 12:13:45

I love all brassicas - I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to steam some brussels then eat them with some butter and pepper ?

I did read somewhere that the sulphur compounds in brassicas (the ones that make them smell awful when cooked too long) help your hair to keep it's colour longer. So maybe this is the test - how many posters who eat lots of brassicas went grey early??

3dognight Tue 15-Feb-22 13:43:38

Love brassicas of all types, so tasty when not overcooked.

I grew kalettes on the allotment last year for this winter and this is one I won’t be eating or growing again though- too many nooks and crannies for baby slugs to hide, and a few did end up on my plate after steaming- that really did put me off. And I failed to grow some purple sprouting for a late winter/spring harvest.

Auntieflo Tue 15-Feb-22 13:44:16

I also love all brassicas. Especially the very dark greens.

M0nica Tue 15-Feb-22 13:53:03

Brassicas have always been my favourite veg, right back to childhood and would definitely pass the hair colour test, I am 78 and my hairdresser tells me that my hair is roughly 40% grey. I colour it because I am not going grey evenly, white all round the edges, while the centre area is still dark brown.

However remaining dark haired into old age is a genetic feature in my father's family. My grandmother was dark haired into 70s as were a number of her children, I and a number of my cousins, have also inherited this gene for dark hair in old age, while our siblings, like my sister, 7 years my junior haven't. So whether my dark hair is caused by my cabbage eating or just genetic inheritance, I do not know

NotAGran55 Tue 15-Feb-22 14:21:41

I love all brassicas and always have. Sprouts are definitely my favourite.
My hair is auburn and possibly 1 or 2 % grey at the age of 66

Blinko Tue 15-Feb-22 14:25:58

Steamed white cabbage, finely shredded with mint sauce - yum!

Yammy Tue 15-Feb-22 14:47:06

I never liked cabbage as a child it was always boiled to hell and back. Now we have savoy or pointed shredded very finely, washed to get rid of soil or the lurking cabbage white catterpillar[of the school canteen variety]well drained and sauteed in browned pancetta.

AreWeThereYet Tue 15-Feb-22 14:59:04

M0nica I am the same. I have my DFs dark auburn hair and like him no white/grey in my mid 60s. He didn't go grey until his 80s. My DM went grey very young as did all my siblings. So I now it's probably a genetic thing but sadly no knowledge of earlier generations ? But, like him, I am also the only one in my generation who loves brassicas - at Xmas I would eat most of the brussels and cabbage that no one else would eat! My DM hates greens, as do my siblings.

I like the idea of air fried sprouts. I'll have to try that.

Baggs Tue 15-Feb-22 15:19:06

Love cabbage. My usual method with white cabbage is to wok it. I chop some onion and fry that first, using a knob of lard. then I sprinkle on turmeric, ground cumin and ground fennel seed. This soaks up the fat. Then I add shredded cabbage and sometimes other stuff such as chopped bell pepper or tomato, and usually some butter.

Goes with everything and is good for one's guts as well as everything else.

Brussels sprouts are a favourite. Microwaved and then topped with grated cheese. Edam worls well but so do other cheeses.

Broccoli gets roasted with other veg like carrots, beetroot and parsnips. Lard is my go to cooking fat unless there is goose fat to hand.

Baggs Tue 15-Feb-22 15:20:16

I also like shredded white cabbage in a wrap with mayonnaise and whatever else is in there, such as ham, philly cheese, dried cranberries, chopped celery.