Gransnet forums

Food

Savoy cabbage

(53 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 15-Feb-22 10:06:02

For some reason I'm currently into Savoy cabbage! I slice it thinly and blanch for a few minutes in boiling salted water then saute in oil & butter with crispy lardons - very tasty.

I eat a lot of vegetables but had forgotten the humble cabbage. Anyone else into brassicas? ???

Witzend Wed 16-Feb-22 10:04:59

AreWeThereYet

I love all brassicas - I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to steam some brussels then eat them with some butter and pepper ?

I did read somewhere that the sulphur compounds in brassicas (the ones that make them smell awful when cooked too long) help your hair to keep it's colour longer. So maybe this is the test - how many posters who eat lots of brassicas went grey early??

I wish I could put the fact that I’m not yet grey at 70+ down to all the brassicas we eat, but it’s much more likely to be genetic. My mother still wasn’t grey when she died at 97 - her hair was a sort of very faded mouse.

She was formerly what they used to call a strawberry blonde, i.e. a reddish blonde, and at about 80 had a serious falling out with a neighbour who’d accused her of lying when she said she didn’t dye it!

Willow73 Wed 16-Feb-22 10:03:42

Mamie’s recipe.

Willow73 Wed 16-Feb-22 10:03:05

Sounds wonderful, will try that recipe.

Mamardoit Wed 16-Feb-22 09:58:16

AreWeThereYet

I love all brassicas - I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to steam some brussels then eat them with some butter and pepper ?

I did read somewhere that the sulphur compounds in brassicas (the ones that make them smell awful when cooked too long) help your hair to keep it's colour longer. So maybe this is the test - how many posters who eat lots of brassicas went grey early??

I've never used hair dye and I'm 65. I have got a few grey hairs now. It could be genetic my DDad and other family never really went grey. I do like green veggies and always eat what's in season and as fresh as possible. Who wants to eat flavourless green beans from Africa. Everything should be eaten in its season and there is nothing wrong with the crops our farmers grow. Fresh veg cooked properly tastes wonderful and it's still cheap.

Peartree Wed 16-Feb-22 07:29:06

I love cabbage, spring greens, brussels but not Kale yuk! My hair is ginger and I have about 1% grey im 67 so not bad but I dont think its down to greens as I didnt like veg when I was young.

Mamie Wed 16-Feb-22 06:06:24

We have started eating fish "garbure" recently. Cabbage, carrot, garlic, onion, celery, lardons and white beans cooked in white wine and stock and then a lightly cooked fillet of white fish on top. We are eating whiting a lot at the moment, we have an excellent fish stall outside the local supermarket on Wednesday mornings and it is all beautifully fresh (and cheap). The locals queue up with buckets at 8am, so off out early today!

Pythagoras Tue 15-Feb-22 21:48:47

Another cabbage fan here - I use the pointy one, thinly sliced, lightly steamed for just a few minutes, then saute with olive oil and lemon juice. Lots of coarse black pepper to serve.

I'll definitely be trying some of the other suggestions on this thread.

25Avalon Tue 15-Feb-22 21:31:05

We grow perennial cottage kale which keeps us going all year round. It does not taste bitter and cooks very quickly. We take cuttings just in case it should succumb. It has flattish leaves.
Savoy cabbage is good for bubble and squeak and colcannon as others suggest. It is also good in soups and casseroles.

HettyBetty Tue 15-Feb-22 20:01:49

Some sort of brassica nearly every day here, we love it. It is a good source of calcium too. Not as much as some other foods but a bit extra helps with strong bones. Broccoli and kale are especially good for calcium.

nightowl Tue 15-Feb-22 17:07:33

mumofmadboys

I like Felicity Cloakes nut roast recipe. You line the tin with leaves of Savoy cabbage and it looks very effective on the table.

Oh I love this mumofmadboys and we have had it every Christmas for the last few years. It is responsible for at least one family member becoming vegetarian, after he pronounced it the best Christmas dinner he had ever had!

MissAdventure Tue 15-Feb-22 16:49:18

Ooh I've just remembered brussel tops.
I love those!!

mumofmadboys Tue 15-Feb-22 16:45:49

I like Felicity Cloakes nut roast recipe. You line the tin with leaves of Savoy cabbage and it looks very effective on the table.

TillyTrotter Tue 15-Feb-22 16:42:01

Ooohh yes, bubble + squeak ‘burned’ at the bottom slightly and turned over in the pan to ‘burn’ it a bit more!

Granmarderby10 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:37:37

Bubble & Squeak anyone?

Redhead56 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:29:18

I grow Cavolo Nero and red cabbage I love Savoy cabbage blanched and filled with sausage and spices. Covered in a light tomato sauce it's a Polish recipe and delicious. It's also lovely steamed then smothered in crushed caraway butter and garlic.

MissAdventure Tue 15-Feb-22 16:24:41

I love the point cabbages.
I like to slice them up so they stay in a neat circle when they're cooked.
They last for ages, too.
No waste on them either.
I'm bald, though.

TerriBull Tue 15-Feb-22 16:23:23

Lovely as a component of Colcannon along with mashed potato, bacon, cream and butter.

shysal Tue 15-Feb-22 16:20:20

Riverwalk

So many cabbage lovers - healthy and we'll keep our hair colour. Not too sure about that bit! grin

My hair is still mainly brown at 75, so maybe it is the cabbage!

ShazzaKanazza Tue 15-Feb-22 16:19:11

I really love Savoy cabbage. Just tossed up in a little vegetable stock. Kale done as crisps in a low oven tossed in oil and paprika and cumin. Red cabbage baked with apple cider vinegar layered with sweet apples. Ooh I’m getting hungry. Unfortunately poor DH can’t eat any brassicas as they kick off his IBS.

Kalu Tue 15-Feb-22 16:13:28

I could easily live on all of the above mentioned plus a constant favourite, haricot verts, asparagus wrapped in ham slices, topped with cheese, popped under the grill is another.

Could live without potatoes, except Ayrshire new potatoes when in season, are a must.

Pammie1 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:07:15

I love sprouts done in a similar way. I cut them in half and blanch them and then sauté in olive oil and a knob of butter with either bacon or pancetta lardons and a good grind of black pepper.

Riverwalk Tue 15-Feb-22 16:06:24

So many cabbage lovers - healthy and we'll keep our hair colour. Not too sure about that bit! grin

Sarahmob Tue 15-Feb-22 16:03:11

I love cabbage - my favourite is to steam in a splash of water until just tender, add a knob of butter and a pinch of nutmeg. Delicious!

Gongoozler Tue 15-Feb-22 16:01:09

I love the brassicas too. We enjoy red cabbage slaw.
Thank you MiniMoon for the Chinese crispy seaweed idea, have just looked up the recipe.

Georgesgran Tue 15-Feb-22 15:51:40

Love greens - especially sprouts which I eat hot or cold.