Gransnet forums

Food

Tasty Cheese

(97 Posts)
NanKate Sat 02-Apr-22 17:44:24

What is better than cheese ploughman’s with pickle ?

I like Brie but fancy a change, any suggestions please ?

25Avalon Sun 03-Apr-22 11:57:31

Cheddar or Stilton melted on top of a large flat mushroom on toast makes a change.

Visgir1 Sun 03-Apr-22 12:09:18

Pop into Waitrose or Deli that has a serious Cheese counter, they should give you a little sample.
So many fabulous Cheese's available, you can select something new.

You right a "Ploughmans" is fab (but do we have to call it a Plough-person's now?)

JaneJudge Sun 03-Apr-22 12:13:16

Tintern Cheese is nice too

Gilly3 Sun 03-Apr-22 12:24:29

Yes, "ploughperson's" in some pubs it would seem.

Apparently ploughman's comes from the time the wives wrapped their farmer husbands' cheese lunches up in red and white cloths.

Elizabeth27 Sun 03-Apr-22 12:41:29

My favourite is Gruyère or a West Country crunchy cheddar. I fancy a ploughman’s now.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Apr-22 13:13:20

Me too.
It's one of my favourite things to eat out.
No fancy stuff, just all the basics, done nicely.

paddyann54 Sun 03-Apr-22 14:46:35

I love any strong blue cheeses ,a Gorgonzola would be my first choice.I did used to buy SAMSOE locally but the deli closed and I haven't been able to get it anywhere else for decades .It was my daughters favourite cheese and it took a long time before we found anything se liked nearly as much

paddyann54 Sun 03-Apr-22 14:48:15

Gilly3 I think that was in just one pub where a lot of their local farmers were /are women .

Gilly3 Sun 03-Apr-22 14:55:07

Paddyann, as long as Manchego cheese doesn't get changed to Personchego cheese!

TerriBull Sun 03-Apr-22 15:23:01

Cheese is one of my downfalls, there are so many I love, Brie, Cambozola, Comte, Manchego, Jarlsberg closer to home Stilton, Double Gloucester and strong Cheddar. Just typing this list makes me want a morsel right now!

GrandmasueUK Sun 03-Apr-22 15:29:58

I love a crumbly Lancashire cheese too.

NonnaW Sun 03-Apr-22 15:31:59

Lincolnshire Poacher is lovely, we buy it from our farmers market. They also have some lovely goat’s cheese, and Cornish Yang.

Casdon Sun 03-Apr-22 15:33:08

I don’t like pickles, so I wouldn’t choose a ploughman’s lunch. I do love cheese though. Grilled halloumi is lovely, I like feta, Boursin, Gorgonzola, Brie, and any British cheeses (apart from those with things in them - eg cheese with apricots, yuck)

MissAdventure Sun 03-Apr-22 16:56:21

Stir fried halloumi is lovely.
I love the texture.

Gilly3 Sun 03-Apr-22 17:17:14

Halloumi cooks really well on the barbecue too.

Blossoming Sun 03-Apr-22 17:33:22

Coverdale or Wensleydale for me.

foxie48 Sun 03-Apr-22 20:57:35

Kim19

Happened on a cheese called Vacherin. Gave it to a friend for Christmas. She raves about it and I haven't been able to find it since.

Mont D'Or is a Vacherin, they sell it in Waitrose but I only see it leading up to Christmas. I love it and always take one to my SIL's when we go for Christmas.

geekesse Sun 03-Apr-22 23:22:09

Cheese and onion sandwich - thick, crusty bread, butter, Wensleydale cheese and freshly cut slices of onion - with a pint of Black Sheep or Old Peculiar. Bliss!

Maggiemaybe Sun 03-Apr-22 23:52:13

Apparently there are over 750 different named cheeses produced in the UK alone ( I’ve just googled it smile), so plenty to go at. I love most cheese apart from strong blue ones and any with sweet fruit. Currently in the fridge, but not for much longer, Jarlsberg, creamy Swaledale and sage Derby. I might just have to nip downstairs now for a bit of fridge raiding…..

Maggiemaybe Sun 03-Apr-22 23:54:17

Gilly3

Halloumi cooks really well on the barbecue too.

I used to have it grilled and cut into soldiers for dipping in boiled eggs till I checked the calorie count. shock

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 00:24:25

Ignorance is bliss.
I love the fried halloumi in batter from the chippy.
Its lucky I suppose that i rarely go to the chippy!

Moggycuddler Mon 04-Apr-22 11:56:19

Cambazola. Soft texture blue cheese. My favourite. Or a nice Stilton. With grapes and cornichons.

leeds22 Mon 04-Apr-22 12:00:58

Strong Cheddar, Manchego, Coverdale, Cornish Yarg & Tasty Lancashire for me.

Witzend Mon 04-Apr-22 12:03:14

I love halloumi - half a pack sliced and fried (just a film of oil) with some cut up apple and peppers etc. often constitutes my lunch.

I wish I could find saganaki (Greek cheese that also comes fried) here, but I’ve never seen any. Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough. But saganaki with lemon juice and salad was my go-to lunch at a favourite beach taverna in Greece.

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Apr-22 12:07:08

Battered halloumi sounds just wonderful, MissAdventure. I wish our chip shop offered it (though for the sake of my ever broadening backside, perhaps it’s a blessing it doesn’t).