Gransnet forums

Food

Tasty Cheese

(97 Posts)
NanKate Sat 02-Apr-22 17:44:24

What is better than cheese ploughman’s with pickle ?

I like Brie but fancy a change, any suggestions please ?

pamdixon Mon 04-Apr-22 12:32:52

Vacherin is quite seasonal I think! If any of you have a good cheese shop near you, see if you can get Delice de Borgogne - a simply delicious mild creamy french cheese, but not the kind of thing you'd find in a supermarket (it is a bit like Vacherin actually). My other favourite is Baron Bigod - a brie made in Suffolk I think. Its made like a french brie (apparently the Baron came over here in Norman times......must have brought the recipe with him!). Its as good as any french brie and I just love it and it seems to be being sold in far more places these days.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 12:35:09

They serve the battered halloumi sticks with a smoky, sweet chilli dip.

Then I have heartburn for 3 days afterwards. blush

SueEH Mon 04-Apr-22 12:37:56

Love all things cheese but the favourite is a good strong crumbly Lancashire. Blackpool girl here!

HazelGreen Mon 04-Apr-22 12:38:25

One of my favourites is white stilton with apricots.

GrammaH Mon 04-Apr-22 12:53:52

I'm hooked on one from Tesco, it's the Iberico one with truffles. It's the best cheese I've ever tasted, I can't get enough of it!!

Lemongrass14 Mon 04-Apr-22 13:00:24

I love dubliner cheese, it is yummy and has a nutty taste, but don’t seem to be able to get it in any supermarket…

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 13:01:05

Oh that sounds nice!

Nannina Mon 04-Apr-22 13:01:25

When I can’t decide what I fancy I’ll have 5 counties. Double Gloucester, Red Leicester, Cheshire, Derby and Cheddar stacked into a stripey delight

lefthanded Mon 04-Apr-22 13:07:09

All this talk of cheese is unsettling. I can’t eat cheese at all - I’m intolerant (technically it is rennet that I am intolerant of).

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 13:09:14

Blessed are the cheesemakers. smile

Soroptimum Mon 04-Apr-22 13:11:25

Feta with watermelon is lovely.
I’ve just booked a VIP tour of the Cheddar Cheese Company when we go on holiday to Cheddar Gorge next month! Lots of samples on offer ?

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 13:13:26

Oh I went to the cheese place when I was there.
I was with a cheese loving friend, too.

yogitree Mon 04-Apr-22 13:13:38

Jalsberg, Pie d'Anglo and Port Salut are current faves with me.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 04-Apr-22 13:15:22

lefthanded

All this talk of cheese is unsettling. I can’t eat cheese at all - I’m intolerant (technically it is rennet that I am intolerant of).

Could you eat vegetarian or even vegan cheese. Both are rennet free and the vegan ones are dairy free too.

Pandrews Mon 04-Apr-22 13:52:37

I was given a vacherin mont d'or cheese in Feb for the first time, it was stinky but delicious - apparently its only available from late autumn till March so that would explain why you can't find any at the moment.

LornaC Mon 04-Apr-22 13:57:33

Yes PamDixon, I live 10 minutes from Fen Farm Dairy who make Baron Bigod, it is absolutely delicious. We can buy their raw milk, butter, marscapone and Skir from the farm gate too.

Ellymae Mon 04-Apr-22 14:16:37

I love Stilton or cheese with apricots or cranberries smile

Jenh66 Mon 04-Apr-22 14:18:28

I'm a cheeseaholic! I love all cheeses. Has anyone tried Alex James' (Blur) cheeses? All are absolutely gorgeous. He holds a cheese festival event every year.

Bazza Mon 04-Apr-22 14:19:03

I love most cheese except halloumi, maybe I’ve never had any cooked enough but it’s squeaky on my teeth. No one has said how delicious a good parmigiana reggiano is, even if it looks like Sunlight soap. Too good to just grate over pasta.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 14:25:56

The squeak is part of the fun for me.
I don't feel complete without the squeak. smile

Happysexagenarian Mon 04-Apr-22 14:49:18

Ooh this is making me feel hungry.
Stinking Bishop is a good one, but keep it in a box, in a box, in a box in your 'fridge or you'll be able to smell it in the next street!
Now what shall I have for lunch.......?

glammagran Mon 04-Apr-22 14:57:37

Sago

Epoisses is a favourite of mine, but if you want to use a British cheese try a Black Bomber.

I love Epoisses cheese also. Tastes great but very strong smelling. Got some in the fridge atm.

glammagran Mon 04-Apr-22 15:00:40

Sago

Epoisses is a favourite of mine, but if you want to use a British cheese try a Black Bomber.

I also love Epoisses cheese but it certainly does stink the fridge out. I prefer buying a slice from a large round on delicatessen counter.

Mamma66 Mon 04-Apr-22 15:36:09

Cornish Yarg is delicious as is Somerset Cruncher

GrammaH Mon 04-Apr-22 16:08:41

DH gave me some Stinking Bishop for Christmas. It had been hidden in the shed prior to Christmas morning - it certainly ponged when he put it under the tree, even though it was extremely well wrapped & in an airtight tin! I had to keep it outside! It was delicious though.