Gransnet forums

Food

Bring a plate to Jubilee Street party

(74 Posts)
Pittcity Fri 13-May-22 09:04:35

Our estate is having a Jubilee Street party and we've been asked to bring a plate for the sharing table.
I'd love your ideas as to what to take.

It'll be outdoors. Being England we've no idea of the weather. As the invitation is just turn up with a chair and food and drink I have no idea how many will be there. Anything from 12 to 1200!!!!!

So the brief is easy to share and won't spoil if left out for a few hours. Transport is not a worry as the closed off street is a minute around the corner.

Vintagejazz Sat 14-May-22 17:39:47

Cocktail sausages tossed in soya sauce and honey before you cook them. They will be eaten in double quick time.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 18:32:39

FannyCornforth

I always took a couple of quiches from the co/op when we did pot lucks at work. And/or wine (before the new head ? banned it)

Is everyone writing down what they are bringing?
Otherwise, you may get a lot of the same things

Two people are co-ordinating the food here.

I'm not keen on fingers dipping into crips, nuts etc and would prefer it if we all took our own food.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 18:33:44

Vintagejazz

Cocktail sausages tossed in soya sauce and honey before you cook them. They will be eaten in double quick time.

With or without cocktail sticks?

With sticks seems more hygienic but then I can imagine little boys using them as mini swords!

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 18:35:37

Tizliz

www.google.com/search?q=cheese+pastries&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB923GB923&oq=cheese+pastries&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512j0i22i30i457j0i22i30l3.9040j0j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=jlbcn5Qpd3qwmM

These look nice

That's a good idea ( but without the ham, we have several veggies here).

I've downloaded the recipe, thanks Tizliz

?

MerylStreep Sat 14-May-22 18:40:36

I’m the one organising the street party for our small close.
I asked everyone how they felt about sharing food, the general consensus was that they would rather bring their own ?

Aveline Sat 14-May-22 20:39:42

That is a bit sad. We did that last year but this year various people are bringing along canapes, sausage rolls etc to share.

Vintagejazz Sat 14-May-22 20:52:59

Callistemon

With sticks.

foxie48 Sat 14-May-22 20:53:53

My neighbour is hosting the party and I'm taking the platinum jubilee trifle but I'll probably adapt the recipe. I'm just waiting for approx numbers. it will be fun as we have some new people in our rather rural area including a family from Ukraine. My lovely elderly neighbour is always game for a celebration and has a beautiful restored barn with loos and a kitchen and wants us all to decorate hats with red white and blue.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 21:15:38

Vintagejazz

Callistemon

With sticks.

There aren't many small children round here now so yes, sticks!

Aveline Sat 14-May-22 21:29:26

Sounds great foxie48 Let's all try to take pics of our events and share them here?

BigBertha1 Sat 14-May-22 22:21:55

M & S mini chicken Kievs are heaven.

Teacheranne Sat 14-May-22 22:30:15

I’ve just laced a Tesco online order and noticed that they have just introduced some lovely picnic and party foods, I’ve ordered some cheese with. spinach pastry rolls and mini chicken Kievs to try.

vegansrock Sun 15-May-22 05:39:02

We do a street party every year with live music, bouncy castle etc , bring a dish etc . A popular dish has been a big water melon cut into wedges on a big platter- it looked pretty and goes really quickly. A couple of baguettes with cheese or hummus / dips with cucumber and carrot sticks is good, though we always have paper plates/ kitchen roll and it’s bring your own cutlery.

Pittcity Sun 15-May-22 08:41:32

Photos would be great. I've found flags and bunting from 2012 in my glory cupboard.

Shelflife Sun 15-May-22 08:51:24

Please ,no sausages on sticks. Sausages yes , sticks NO!! Excited children and sharp sticks are not a good mix !!!!

teabagwoman Sun 15-May-22 09:00:27

Best of both worlds here. Bring your own picnic to the park behind the community centre. Music, games and fancy dress competition organised by the committee. I’m in charge of the picnic and will be taking forkable salads, pinching the sausage idea and making individual trifles in small Kilmer jars. Might also take some chocolate dipped strawberries. Very grateful for this thread.

Witzend Sun 15-May-22 11:23:21

Germanshepherdsmum

I would hijack your sausages on sticks en route!?

I once supplied some for an alfresco lunch at a beautiful chateau belonging to a BiL. He had invited a number of local VIPs as well as sundry friends/colleagues/family who were staying. I had only taken a couple of packs of sausages (frozen) to serve as ice packs for other stuff we were taking in the car.

But I thought I might as well use them up for the lunch - they honestly all vanished within a minute or two!

Aveline Sun 15-May-22 12:06:27

One of our neighbours is bringing honey and mustard drizzled sausages. I expect they'll be on sticks but there won't be any children at our festivities (unfortunately).

Elizabeth27 Sun 15-May-22 12:13:45

We are having a bring your own picnic which I much prefer, I do not like a buffet where people pick something up decide they don't like it and put it back on the plate.

I am also aware of the state of the kitchen of one of my neighbours so would not want to eat anything that comes from there.

aonk Sun 15-May-22 12:17:39

It all sounds delicious! I especially like the idea of fruit as it’s so refreshing. Melon, grapes, strawberries all go down well. Also pineapple and there is always the classic cheese and pineapple on sticks. Looks really good if you vary the types of cheese eg cheddar, Red Leicester, Stilton etc.
I wish I could join you but nothing like that going on here.

Teacheranne Sun 15-May-22 13:24:27

I am surprised at how many people don’t like shared buffets, I love them and find taking food just for myself rather boring. I don’t worry about germs from other people or where they were prepared as luckily I have a cast iron stomach and am rarely affected by what I eat.

I had never even heard of “ double dipping” until a few years ago but I don’t like dips so I don’t need to worry!

JackyB Sun 15-May-22 13:39:59

Miniature quiches, or, less faff, would be savoury muffins. There are some lovely recipes. Dried tomatoes, all sorts of cheese or tiny chunks of veg, peas etc. can be included. People would only be touching what they are eating themselves.

Can you get flour there? Our shelves have been empty of flour for weeks now (in Germany). The price of bread is predicted to soar.

Vintagejazz Sun 15-May-22 21:49:35

Teacheranne

I am surprised at how many people don’t like shared buffets, I love them and find taking food just for myself rather boring. I don’t worry about germs from other people or where they were prepared as luckily I have a cast iron stomach and am rarely affected by what I eat.

I had never even heard of “ double dipping” until a few years ago but I don’t like dips so I don’t need to worry!

I do have an issue with people who double dip. Likewise people who use their used fork to help themselves from a communal dish instead of using the serving spoon provided.

Yammy Sun 15-May-22 22:02:37

The worst I ever came across at a bring and share school children's party were cupcakes abundantly decorated with black pubic hairs. The woman who brought them was bleached blonde you can imagine the comments behind her back.blush

Polly73 Sun 15-May-22 22:08:23

Yammy

The worst I ever came across at a bring and share school children's party were cupcakes abundantly decorated with black pubic hairs. The woman who brought them was bleached blonde you can imagine the comments behind her back.blush

???

Dog hair, surely, if anything?