Gransnet forums

Food

Bring a plate to Jubilee Street party

(74 Posts)
Pittcity Fri 13-May-22 09:04:35

Our estate is having a Jubilee Street party and we've been asked to bring a plate for the sharing table.
I'd love your ideas as to what to take.

It'll be outdoors. Being England we've no idea of the weather. As the invitation is just turn up with a chair and food and drink I have no idea how many will be there. Anything from 12 to 1200!!!!!

So the brief is easy to share and won't spoil if left out for a few hours. Transport is not a worry as the closed off street is a minute around the corner.

Yammy Sun 15-May-22 22:32:02

Polly73

Yammy

The worst I ever came across at a bring and share school children's party were cupcakes abundantly decorated with black pubic hairs. The woman who brought them was bleached blonde you can imagine the comments behind her back.blush

???

Dog hair, surely, if anything?

No definitely not another teacher identified them first.

Polly73 Sun 15-May-22 22:41:06

I think I must have led a sheltered life…..shock

FannyCornforth Mon 16-May-22 05:09:13

Yammy OMG ?
It takes a lot to shock me, but… ?

I think that that is the most bonkers thing I’ve ever read on here! ?

FannyCornforth Mon 16-May-22 05:14:50

Polly73

I think I must have led a sheltered life…..shock

Thank heavens, so have I Polly

A little boy at school once presented me with an uncooked, frozen sausage roll.
He took it out of his (very grubby) coat pocket.
The sausage roll was covered in fluff and other small boy’s pocket debris.
? (not)

Ailidh Mon 16-May-22 06:13:28

Well, that's given me something to speculate about as the day goes on: pubic hairs on the buns.
How did they get there?
How could another teacher identify their colleague's pubic hair?

Understand, I'm not doubting the account, just blowing my mind gently. I had not previously thought my life had been that sheltered.....?

NotSpaghetti Mon 16-May-22 07:07:55

Germanshepherdsmum

Ooh, not nuts. I can’t eat a nut from a shared bowl since I read how many bacteria are on them from people’s unwashed hands. ?

I thought this too.
I wouldn't take things that people need to put fingers in.

nanna8 Mon 16-May-22 07:12:26

We are not having that here, I think few would be interested in it. They don't mention it much at all.

FannyCornforth Mon 16-May-22 07:31:05

nanna8

We are not having that here, I think few would be interested in it. They don't mention it much at all.

Are you sure that we can’t tempt you with a couple of very special, Gransnet Pubic Hair Cupcakes ?
?➰➰➰?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 16-May-22 08:07:51

Ooh Yammy! How gross!?

FannyCornforth Mon 16-May-22 09:35:19

Yammy I’m sorry, but I need to know more.
How many hairs are we talking here?

Yammy Mon 16-May-22 09:47:42

FannyCornforth

Yammy OMG ?
It takes a lot to shock me, but… ?

I think that that is the most bonkers thing I’ve ever read on here! ?

It might sound bonkers but is absolutely true. A colleague opened the tin and saw the buns and showed them before putting them under the table to get rid of them and forgot.
Another member of staff who was known for helping herself went in during lunchtime and was just going to take a bite as we walked in and pointed out the decoration and the donater.
The poor woman was under stress,personal hygene was not to the for and we found out she had a very bullying husband via her children. The situation was reported to social services.
Teachers see all sorts and have to be alert to a lot of what children say and draw that the public are just not aware of.sad
I have also had a half chewed stick of toffee as a Christmas present all covered on fluff from the childs pocket and another child who brought cockles and winkles that had died in his pocket, for the show and tell time the smell was gagging.

Grandmabatty Mon 16-May-22 09:51:05

As a secondary school teacher I learned very quickly that the cakes etc which were offered to me by certain pupils were taken with thanks and were "kept for break". To not take one would have caused upset and offence. To have eaten one would have caused upset of a different kind.

FannyCornforth Mon 16-May-22 10:07:21

Yammy, oh that’s awful.
It sounds like you worked at a similar school to mine.
I totally understand.
I’ve shared things that have happened to me at school; and I know that it’s been thought that I was exaggerating or even making stuff up.

Grandmabatty yes, we did that too.

Polly73 Mon 16-May-22 11:22:46

I can understand grubby fluff from pockets, say, on cakes - but pubic hair?!?! This is a rhetorical question - but How??

Yammy Mon 16-May-22 22:03:36

FannyCornforth

*Yammy*, oh that’s awful.
It sounds like you worked at a similar school to mine.
I totally understand.
I’ve shared things that have happened to me at school; and I know that it’s been thought that I was exaggerating or even making stuff up.

Grandmabatty yes, we did that too.

I did work in what used to be called Education priority areas and down on the Tyne in Newcastle. At that school, a child came in and reported that the house had been burned down by his brother.
They were the most generous at Christmas party time and brought loads in for parties.
When I worked in the Midlands all the Asian children were ill after the queen's Silver Jubilee Party. The buns and cakes had upset their tummies.

crazyH Mon 16-May-22 22:07:59

Why Yammy? Buns and cakes to cause upset tummies ? Probably ate too many ?

Grammaretto Mon 16-May-22 22:35:05

I have never been to a street party but now I am not sure I have missed out!
We have had plenty of bring and share parties and they have always been lovely.
Scones are popular.
Sandwiches are more hygienic than sharing from a dip. You can put lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber inside them along with cheese, hummus or egg mayo.
Avoid nuts due to allergies.
Is flour in short supply?
If you have time, what about homemade pizzas?
Have fun!

Witzend Tue 17-May-22 10:12:20

Re sandwiches, when elder Gdcs were younger and parents invariably accompanied children to birthday parties, I used to make masses of little triangular sandwiches with the crusts cut off.

Virtually all of them were scoffed by the parents - there were never any left!
(Should add that dh and I would be among the chief scoffers if any were offered at any do we were at.)

timetogo2016 Tue 17-May-22 10:29:48

Cheese sticks/bread sticks and mixed pizzas.
I don`t know many people who would turn their noses up at that.

Witzend Tue 17-May-22 10:36:00

My very very cheesy cheese straws always vanish at the speed of light, but they’re a bit of a faff to make.

A mega-batch has been requested for a big family get-together soon, though, so I shall have to roll up my metaphorical sleeves and get cracking.

Pittcity Mon 06-Jun-22 09:21:23

I took a red, white and blue fruit platter in the end. The table was a sea of beige food....sausage rolls, pastries, pasta, crisps and cake. I couldn't see any salad or other healthy food. My strawberries, blueberries and white grapes were hoovered up in no time. I was glad I had saved a few for us!!!!

Pittcity Mon 06-Jun-22 09:28:38

Our sharing table at about 2pm.

Aveline Mon 06-Jun-22 10:03:51

I wish I'd thought to photograph ours. It was a terrific spread. I couldn't believe how much we had but, equally, I couldn't believe we could have consumed it all! But we did. Yum!