Gransnet forums

Food

Jubilee trifle etiquette

(22 Posts)
Jansue Sun 29-May-22 20:03:47

Like some other brave grans, I am attempting to make a Jubilee trifle.
We are just having a smallish gathering with a few other households, around ten people in all.
But, my dilemma arose when I mentioned to DH that I think I will serve up each persons portion myself so that everyone gets a fair share and also so I can arrange the white chocolate shards decoratively on the top of each serving.
Well, he was horrified at this suggestion and insisted that everyone should be allowed to take as little or as much as they like!
But, what if someone hogs all the trifle sponge or jelly? That’s not fair!
And is there a ‘rule’ concerning trifle etiquette that I’ve not heard of? Help confused

midgey Sun 29-May-22 20:12:40

That made me laugh out loud! Good luck with your trifle from the sound of it it’s really quite complicated.

Cherrytree59 Sun 29-May-22 20:13:04

Individual glasses.
Still see the lovely layers of trifle through the glass.
Few extra glasses for those that want seconds.

CraftyGranny Sun 29-May-22 20:13:38

I'd make individual ones, and maybe a few extra for those that would eat more smile

CraftyGranny Sun 29-May-22 20:14:33

Cherrytree great minds think alike

Casdon Sun 29-May-22 20:16:16

I’m with your husband I’m afraid. An individual trifle is a poor watered down apology for a big and spectacular one, which is the whole point of the Jubilee trifle. I’d make enough for everybody to have a large portion, which I bet is what most will want.

Chewbacca Sun 29-May-22 20:20:40

Personally, I'm with your DH on this. I wouldn't want someone ladling out my trifle either; I'd much prefer to get my own. And surely your adult guests aren't greedy custard/jelly grabbers are they? Who gets what on a trifle, and where the chocolate shards go is such a trifling problem it's really not worth worrying about. Just enjoy the day with your friends and let them eat the trifle as they want to.

Maggiemaybe Sun 29-May-22 21:16:50

I was quite looking forward to having a go at making a big Jubilee trifle for our family do, but I’ve had to concede that it probably won’t survive the journey to the do in pristine condition. If I were you I’d be tempted to ladle it out myself (control freak tendencies coming out over here smile).

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 29-May-22 21:17:50

I entirely agree Chewbacca.

Redhead56 Sun 29-May-22 21:35:34

I would serve portions as food wise I do like to be organised. I love trifle enjoy your day.

Elizabeth27 Sun 29-May-22 21:37:50

I would think you are making a big one for the visual impact, they do look impressive. personally I would prefer individual ones or to serve myself.

BigBertha1 Sun 29-May-22 22:21:44

I don't allow guests to serve them selves. I don't know where they've been. I like to control the portions to ensure fair shares.

Zoejory Sun 29-May-22 22:35:35

Definitely do it yourself, Jansue!

If I was at yours I'd be ignoring the custard and getting far too much jelly and cream smile

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 29-May-22 22:42:27

BigBertha1

I don't allow guests to serve them selves. I don't know where they've been. I like to control the portions to ensure fair shares.

Blimey! I always allow guests to serve themselves. I don’t want to control how much they eat and don’t question their personal hygiene.

maddyone Sun 29-May-22 22:47:17

Normally when the family get together and there’s a trifle or pudding, someone will be ‘mother.’ Often the host/hostess of the home we’re at. But we’re always asked large? Small? Medium? And there’s always enough for seconds anyway.

Chewbacca Mon 30-May-22 00:42:06

I don't allow guests to serve them selves. I don't know where they've been.

Good heaven's! Do your guests usually just scoop trifle up with their hands? You could try offering them a spoon each?

CanadianGran Mon 30-May-22 04:19:37

If I was having a sit down dinner I would serve dessert myself. I usually bring it to the table, serve and pass (or at a family dinner, usually a GChild passes around) If someone wants a smaller portion, they get the chance to say so.

If I was having buffet style, then I would let guests serve themselves.

BigBertha1 Mon 30-May-22 06:42:12

If it's a buffet they could serve themselves but I don't think I would have a trifle for that probably a cheesecake portions already. 'I don't know where they have bee n was a joke! Duh.

Shelflife Mon 30-May-22 06:47:18

I agree with Canadian Gran, if my guests were seated at my dining table I would serve the trifle, if it was a buffet - guests would serve themselves.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 30-May-22 07:09:55

Jelly in trifle is wrong- just saying....

Riverwalk Mon 30-May-22 07:34:54

If you're the host and it's your house/garden then I think it's fine to serve guests - if it's a neighbourly get together on neutral ground then you'll just have to let people help themselves.

If the latter I hope no one drops the serving spoon in the bowl or it ends up looking a mess - I couldn't bear it! grin

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 30-May-22 08:18:10

Chocolatelovinggran

Jelly in trifle is wrong- just saying....

I love jelly in trifle, too bad if it’s wrong.