Gransnet forums

Food

No Cooking!

(96 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 15-Jun-22 19:20:49

I’d like to live off coffee and cakes and can no longer be bothered to cook anything which takes more than 10 minutes. Today I had a brainwave - I shall give up cooking because gas is too expensive to use on food!
My new regime is based on salad, fruit and sandwiches. I might use the microwave now and again but not the gas cooker. Liberation from saucepans and most of the washing up.

M0nica Wed 15-Jun-22 19:58:26

I love my food have always enjoyed food and eating an exploring new tastes and recipes. I couldn't do what you are thinking of doing watermeadow, within a week I would be bck at the supermarket and thumbing through my recipes.

crazyH Wed 15-Jun-22 20:09:31

I am getting like that. On my own, so I can do as I please. Today, Cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch (ready prepared, from the Co-op), microwave noodles for tea. And while typing this, a small choc-ice .

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 15-Jun-22 20:09:33

If I lived alone I’d probably be following a similar regime!

aonk Wed 15-Jun-22 20:17:42

Yes I could live on coffee, cakes and toast! Fortunately I live with my DH who likes a varied and healthy diet. Sometimes I treat myself when he goes out!

lixy Wed 15-Jun-22 20:26:55

Coffee and marmite sandwiches rather than cake here!
Like aonk my DH likes a healthy diet so I plan and cook accordingly.
When he's away I eat very differently and don't cook anything at all.
When I'm away he cooks beans on toast for himself, straight from the chopping board - who needs a plate?
Change is as good as a rest I suppose.

midgey Wed 15-Jun-22 21:39:46

Cooking is so tedious, I really dislike the whole thing. All that thinking about what to cook etc, I wish there was a cookery book like the story books of my childhood…..365 stories/ 365 recipes for supper.

crazyH Wed 15-Jun-22 21:44:32

midgey , I’m sure there are ?

Happygirl79 Wed 15-Jun-22 22:07:56

No no no. I adore cooking even though I live alone. Its a great excuse to invite friends and family around. I show my love by creating beautiful food for myself and the people I love most by cooking nutritional food to nurture the soul.

Lauren59 Wed 15-Jun-22 22:15:07

I live alone and very rarely use a pot or a pan. I might scramble a few eggs occasionally to eat with my toast.

Georgesgran Wed 15-Jun-22 22:15:17

I have a serious addiction to tea and Caramel Wafers, Tunnocks of course! Could eat them all day (often do). I did prepare fancy meals when DH was alive, but no real incentive now, so I think I could manage the odd week without a home cooked meal.

Casdon Wed 15-Jun-22 22:27:42

I hate cooking too, I hate wasting my time when I could be doing something I enjoy. I eat healthily though, because I batch cook and freeze so I’ve always got something I can just whip out and cook. I even batch cook mashed potatoes and freeze them, they taste just the same, and I’ve got loads of home made soup to reheat. I probably spend about an hour a week preparing food, and make 8 portions at a time of whatever it is I’m doing that week, put what we don’t eat that day into the freezer in portions, so we’ve got a big choice of what to have each day.

Elizabeth27 Wed 15-Jun-22 22:36:56

I have eaten that way for the past couple of years, tonight was date and walnut sourdough with feta and mango chutney, as you say nothing takes longer than 10 mins and there is minimal washing up.

Curlywhirly Wed 15-Jun-22 22:40:03

Used to love cooking, but do find it a bit of a chore now. However, I couldn't bring myself to give up on cooking altogether. I don't enjoy convenience food and do mainly cook from scratch. I now batch cook more than I used to, so some days I can just use something from the freezer.

M0nica Wed 15-Jun-22 23:00:19

Even when DH was working overseas for a month or more. I always planned my menus and cooked proper meals for myself.

I have batch cooked since I bought my first freezer in 1973.

Georgesgran Wed 15-Jun-22 23:34:20

I like your style Casdon

grannydarkhair Thu 16-Jun-22 00:02:08

On days I can’t be bothered, I often opt for a BIG bowl of mixed salad. Lots of different veg, sometimes add fruit, broken up oatcakes or sourdough for carbs, protein is cheese or some kind of cold meat usually. Also add chia seeds for extra protein, and other seeds, eg pumpkin and sunflower. Slosh of good quality olive oil and some balsamic vinegar is my usual dressing. No two bowls are ever exactly the same, but all taste good.

Riverwalk Thu 16-Jun-22 08:12:08

I love food and cooking and would never settle for a cuppa and a sandwich.

I eat three proper meals a day and know if I ever lose interest in food I'll have lost interest in life!

Kim19 Thu 16-Jun-22 08:20:53

Yes, I'm with the snacker brigade. Done wonders for my weight. Only have meals when out lunching. Great.

seacliff Thu 16-Jun-22 08:23:41

I'll eat breakfast at any time of day. A bowl of Musueli with nuts and seeds, greek yogurt, fresh fruit in season or defrosted frozen.

My cooking just for me would be halloumi ,tomato and spinach omelette.

Grandmabatty Thu 16-Jun-22 08:25:55

I enjoy cooking and baking. It's part of my family dna I think. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to serve a meal to family or friends. I have lived alone for years and most nights will have a cooked meal of some description. Each to their own I suppose.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Jun-22 08:31:22

I cannot imagine not cooking, I enjoy a variety of food, tastes etc.

Oldnproud Thu 16-Jun-22 08:41:03

seacliffThu 16-Jun-22 08:23:41
I'll eat breakfast at any time of day. A bowl of Musueli with nuts and seeds, greek yogurt, fresh fruit in season or defrosted frozen.

Me too. I've never forgotten my dgd's reaction to my having muesli for lunch (something I often do in summer), when she was three or four years old.
She was most bemused by the idea that someone would actually eat breakfast at lunchtime, or that it was even 'allowed'. grin

Redhead56 Thu 16-Jun-22 08:46:05

I love to cook and apart from Saturday when we eat out or get a takeaway I cook from scratch each day it’s a total pleasure to me. I love to plan the meals according to what I have bought or what my veg patch has on offer. I don’t have a big appetite but I still enjoy the process of cooking.
Porridge for a simple breakfast but good for you. I do eat a lot of salad on warm day's I swap ingredients around there is so much to choose from. Yesterday I made a simple cheese and chive quiche and there is enough for todays lunch. Sundays dinner this weekend is going to be a rich pot roast and a cherry clafoutis a Michel Roux recipe. I prefer to make my desserts so I can control the amount of sugar as shop bought cakes are far to sweet for my taste.

Grandmadinosaur Thu 16-Jun-22 08:58:56

I used to enjoy cooking but I’m with you now * aonk* it’s just become a chore I could do without.