Gransnet forums

Food

Corned beef Tins

(32 Posts)
62Granny Mon 27-Feb-23 17:41:05

Why is corned beef still put in these stupid shaped tins with a key? When practically all other tins have a ring pull.
I have just tried to open a tin and the metal tab the key goes on has gone upwards instead of around the tin , I have tried using a can opener but have been unsuccessful in getting the meat out and have resorted to opening a second tin( luckily I had a spare).
I have emailed the company, Prince's , to ask for some advise on getting a refund , I don't think I should just take it back to the supermarket as it isn't their fault.
Possibly an old fashioned tin opener that my mum used to have would open it but I don't have one , only the type you clamp on

lixy Sat 04-Mar-23 21:53:14

Agree that the key-rolling thing is all rather hit and miss. Do like corned beef hash though, so worth the effort.
I'm glad tinned sardines don't have the roll-up top opening method any more.

MayBee70 Sat 04-Mar-23 21:58:12

Riverwalk

That strange tin that corned beef comes in, rather like Fray Bentos pies, no other foods are packaged this way.

All a bit perverse!

I bought a Fray Bentos pie: hadn’t had one for years and really fancied one but couldn’t open the tin. Gave up in the end.

MayBee70 Sat 04-Mar-23 21:59:27

lixy

Agree that the key-rolling thing is all rather hit and miss. Do like corned beef hash though, so worth the effort.
I'm glad tinned sardines don't have the roll-up top opening method any more.

Not sure about that. I’m always in fear of slicing off my finger using the ring pull.

Cabbie21 Sat 04-Mar-23 22:12:05

I find most ring pulls very hard work. I often have to abandon the process and dig the contents out of the tin with the lid half opened. Tuna, tinned fruit, sardines…

25Avalon Sat 04-Mar-23 22:25:52

I hate corned beef. Sainsburys pack their chopped ham in similar tins with a key. It’s a trip down memory Lane. If you turn it very carefully you are usually open it successfully but sometimes it snaps off half way round leaving jagged edges. Turning it upside down and trying to use a can opener can be the very devil as it has a steep ridge. Sometimes I resort to stabbing it with a sharp knife risking injury!

Callistemon21 Sat 04-Mar-23 23:13:17

Patsy70

Corned beef hash, with mashed or diced potatoes, cabbage & onions is tasty. We only have it occasionally, though.

DH loves it. I don't mind it.
I've not tried it with cabbage, must do that, we throw in frozen peas for speed when we're in a rush.

I use a packet or two as yes, it is leaner.