Gransnet forums

Food

In praise of tea...

(116 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 28-Feb-23 09:12:04

Ordinary old black tea, with milk.

I've drunk it after giving birth, when getting a cancer diagnosis, post-op, when hungover, to get rid of headaches (2 cups, in the quiet of morning) and when feeling nauseas to settle my stomach.

The only time I've gone off tea was sadly on chemo, but even then, I just switched over to Earl Grey. The perfumed taste disguised the chemo metallic tang.

I've taken my own supply of Yorkshire Tea to Spain, Switzerland, the US and even, ironically, took my tea to China. A little taste of home when homesick.

GagaJo Tue 28-Feb-23 10:18:11

Good point Musicgirl, but I can't bear the extra washing up!

Sago Tue 28-Feb-23 10:29:47

I don’t drink coffee, tea is my tipple Barry’s tea is my favourite with Yorkshire tea a close second.
Unfortunately I’m doing 16/8 so my first cuppa is fruit tea.
I so miss having my steaming China mug of tea first thing.
On the upside I had a “try on“ yesterday and it’s working👍👍.
I can’t weigh due to teenage anorexia but all my size 12’s are feeling a lot more comfortable.

shysal Tue 28-Feb-23 10:41:38

I don't like coffee tea, or alcohol. I just don't understand all you drug addicts! smile
It is tap water only for me, I am a cheap date!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Feb-23 10:47:14

DH has brought me a cup of tea in bed every morning since our first sleepover

Had to change to decaffeinated during menopause, I have been known to take teabags away with me.

I cannot drink instant coffee and would be lost without my coffee machine, tea just seems to solve most of life’s woes 🫖

pascal30 Tue 28-Feb-23 10:52:52

For me it is Yorkshire tea, milk after and no sugar... but it has to be in a proper china mug, and espresso coffee when out.

GagaJo Tue 28-Feb-23 11:04:13

I also gave up caffeine during menopause GG13. Reduced the hot flushes hugely.

Alioop Tue 28-Feb-23 11:32:34

I'm a Nambarrie tea drinker, only one cup at lunchtime and I have a cup of coffee mid morning. The rest of the day I drink tap water.

rockgran Tue 28-Feb-23 11:49:00

brewThat first sip of ordinary tea in the morning is like nectar. I like coffee but not first thing. At the moment I'm using loose leaf co-op but anything basic will do. I do like an occasional Earl Grey in the afternoon and I was even given some Janat Darjeeling recently which is rather nice but basic black tea with milk is unbeatable.

GagaJo Tue 28-Feb-23 12:44:42

It is, isn't it rockgran? I like it best if I'm able to get downstairs on my own (without DGS mayhem on my heels) and sit with a cuppa peacefully.

Babs758 Tue 28-Feb-23 13:00:06

I’m a huge fan of tea. I loveDarjeeling mixed with a bit of Assam and Wiltshires afternoon tea. Recently I have started to drink the Japanese green tea with roasted rice and have become addicted. I have a favourite cast iron teapot with a strainer inside. I’m definitely a tea geek!

Grandma70s Tue 28-Feb-23 13:05:36

I’m a tea addict, I think. Any time of day, but first thing in the morning is essential. I like Yorkshire Gold, with milk and definitely no sugar. Sugary tea is undrinkable imo!

Galaxy Tue 28-Feb-23 13:10:13

I still remember the cup of tea they gave me after giving birth to DS1, it tasted amazing.

Blondiescot Tue 28-Feb-23 13:19:39

I love tea - all kinds, with or without milk, but no sugar. And yes, that first cup of tea after giving birth was amazing! I absolutely love proper Turkish cay - it has to be made in a caydanlik (Turkish teapot) and served in the little tulip-shaped cay glasses.
I went right off coffee the minute I fell pregnant with both of my children. I remember telling a friend in the office, 'Oh no thanks, I've gone off coffee" and she gave me a knowing look. I don't think I'd even taken a pregnancy test at that stage!

Redhead56 Tue 28-Feb-23 13:19:50

I have two massive cups of breakfast tea in bed before I get up thanks to my DH with full fat milk and sugar. No other way will start the day for me I might have a coffee later on in the day. When I go to our DD or DS house I take a few tea bags with me as they have decaffeinated.

SueDonim Tue 28-Feb-23 13:48:55

I drink coffee daily but don’t tea that often. I expect everyone will tut but I like my tea very weak, as though you’ve just waved a tea bag at it. I take it black, no sugar. In fact, I may as well just drink hot water. grin I like Earl Grey and Darjeeling.

My DD’s both love tea. My younger one is on a campaign for teapots. She is most offended at being presented with a mug of hot water with a teabag in it when she goes out. She wants a tea pot and cup and saucer!

I go off coffee when I’m ill, which is a useful measure for when I’m recovered - I want coffee again. I Drink coffee with milk, no sugar.

EkwaNimitee Tue 28-Feb-23 14:01:08

I loath tea! It must be genetic…one of my earliest memories is from when I was about 4. Getting heavy persuasion from my grandparents to have a sup. They didn’t succeed. I don’t like the smell even. As for drinking it, just don’t like the taste, I feel my taste buds are shrinking and once it’s gone down, a tad nauseous.
I do like some of the fruit teas that don’t contain black tea and I can just about stomach green tea if it’s made from fresh leaf, not the teabags. However, coffee, that’s another thing altogether!

Georgesgran Tue 28-Feb-23 14:03:38

I used to hate tea and drank numerous cups of coffee through the day. Then, suddenly I couldn’t stand the smell of coffee and swapped to tea (like a duck to water) with milk and sugar. I still don’t drink coffee at home, but will have the odd latte when I’m out.

sodapop Tue 28-Feb-23 16:51:18

NannyJan53

Went off tea when it made me sick when pregnant. DS is 47 now and I have never drunk tea since, just tastes horrible to me know. Drink only 2 cups of coffee a day now.

Exactly the same for me NannyJan don't even like the smell of tea now. Strange isn't it.

Grandma70s Tue 28-Feb-23 17:01:57

SueDonim, I like my tea very weak, too. Also I think it’s less likely to stain my teeth badly.

Casdon Tue 28-Feb-23 17:12:08

Tea sadly has always repulsed me, from being a child I just don’t like the smell of it, it turns my stomach. I wish I did like it, because so many times when you’re in work, or visiting friends they don’t have decent coffee because they only drink tea, or they have only instant coffee. I carry a couple of coffee bags in my handbag now. Also tea drinkers have no problem consuming the daily recommended fluid levels, whereas I can’t drink 6-8 cups of coffee a day, I do have decaf as well but not that quantity.

CanadianGran Tue 28-Feb-23 17:14:53

I don't drink tea very often, but I take it with a tiny bit of honey, no milk. I will occasionally have green or herbal tea, but I am a dedicated coffee drinker.

DH has a green tea every morning, he went off coffee because it made his heart rate increase.

Kim19 Tue 28-Feb-23 17:39:02

I'm strictly hot chocolate nowadays from being a coffee addict. No idea why but it's suiting me fine.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 28-Feb-23 20:07:06

I need my coffee first thing in the morning. At least two thick, strong, chewy black ones to kick start my day. But coffee is a short drink to me. Tea comes into its own for the rest of the day especially when I'm working, until wine o'clock comes round.

I haven't had milk in tea for many years now. Milk in tea tastes greasy to me now. And call me precious if you must but I never use teabags, It's loose tea and a proper pot for me. The pot in question is perfect for one and does quite nicely for two as well if we're using the posh cups. It's a 400ml glass jobbie with a sealed lid that has a filter built into it. Just right for a good mugful with a warm up. I got it from Atkinsons of Lancaster. I can bore at an Olympic level about Atkinsons of Lancaster, who are basically coffee roasters but carry a wide range of teas in big jars. They've grown in recent years and now has a big mail-order operation as well as a chain of cafés around the city itself, so inevitably some of the quirky magic of the original shop has gone, but it's definitely worth the voyage.

The bitterness and astringency of plain small leaf black tea is too much for me these days, unless I'm very careful with the timing. For everyday I like a 3 to 1 mix of black tea and lapsang souchong. Being a Lancashire lass myself originally I scorn Yorkshire tea and use Atkinson's Lancaster Blend as the base. Alternatively Atkinsons do a tea called Russian Caravan – it's not really Russian, more Chinese as it's supposed to evoke the Silk Road across the steppes and the smoke of camel-dung fires along the way. It's really keemun with a little lapsang to enhance the smokiness without overdoing it.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 28-Feb-23 20:21:14

SueDonim- we could share a teabag: I did this with a fellow weak tea drinker when I was working 😊

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 28-Feb-23 20:22:32

On average I drink 5 mugs of Earl Grey every day. With a dribble of milk, occasionally just with lemon. I crave tea.
My tea of dreams is white oolong, regrettably just too expensive to be more than a rare treat. Until you’ve drunk a special tea, you cannot know just how good it is.