Gransnet forums

Food

Now Toblerone - is nothing safe?

(51 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Mon 06-Mar-23 08:13:02

I may need to sit down (with a giant bar) to cope with the latest from Switzerland

THE Matterhorn mountain’s peak that appears on Toblerone packaging is to be removed.
From todays DT
Mondelez International, the manafacturer of Toblerone, is moving part of the chocolate production from its home country of Switzerland to Slovakia.
The change is in line with Swiss legislation that protects items claiming to be from the country under the Swissness Act. Toblerone packaging will now read “established in Switzerland”, rather than “of Switzerland”, according to Aargauer Zeitung newspaper
The act decrees Swiss national symbols or products claiming to be “Swiss made” must contain at least 80 per cent of the product’s raw materials that have come from Switzerland. For milk and dairy products, 100 per cent of the raw materials must come from Switzerland.
However, exceptions are made for raw materials and ingredients that cannot be directly sourced from ­Switzerland – including cocoa.
The image of the mountain will be swapped for a more standardised summit, according to Mondelez. A spokesman said: “The packaging redesign introduces a modernised and streamlined mountain logo that aligns with the geometric and triangular aesthetic .”
And in case anybody didnt know ( unlikely)
The shape of Toblerone resembles the pyramid shape of the Swiss summit
Next they’ll be telling us the song isn’t true sad

“ 🎶Made with triangular almonds,
From triangular trees, 🌲
And triangular honey, 🍯
From triangular bees. 🐝
And oh, Mr Confectioner please,
Give me Toblerone. 🎶 “
m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxFiVgD2xNk

Callistemon21 Mon 06-Mar-23 17:46:48

It's Mondelez innit! The global conglomerate formerly known as Kraft, based in Chicago. Nothing is sacred to them. You may recall how they hijacked iconic British brand Cadbury's a few years ago. Toblerone was taken over by Kraft Foods more than thirty years ago, and it had been more German than Swiss for a while before that.

Well, I didn't know that! (how did I miss it?)

Kraft took over Cadbury's and promised to keep the Bristol Somerdale factory open then promptly moved production to Poland, making 400 workers redundant.

Callistemon21 Mon 06-Mar-23 17:49:00

dogsmother

It’s all about the bear isn’t it? How ridiculous is this world becoming 🫤

No, it's all about huge conglomerates taking over smaller companies and dominating the markets so that everything ends up as a generic product.

Esmay Mon 06-Mar-23 18:19:36

Oh no !

Bring back , bring back my luvverly mountain to me ...

VioletSky Mon 06-Mar-23 18:23:23

I was so mad until I realised the chocolate won't change

Callistemon21 Mon 06-Mar-23 21:37:26

Cadbury's chocolate seems to have changed.

It's Mondelez innit! The global conglomerate formerly known as Kraft, based in Chicago

JdotJ Wed 08-Mar-23 11:29:11

MawtheMerrier

I may need to sit down (with a giant bar) to cope with the latest from Switzerland

THE Matterhorn mountain’s peak that appears on Toblerone packaging is to be removed.
From todays DT
Mondelez International, the manafacturer of Toblerone, is moving part of the chocolate production from its home country of Switzerland to Slovakia.
The change is in line with Swiss legislation that protects items claiming to be from the country under the Swissness Act. Toblerone packaging will now read “established in Switzerland”, rather than “of Switzerland”, according to Aargauer Zeitung newspaper
The act decrees Swiss national symbols or products claiming to be “Swiss made” must contain at least 80 per cent of the product’s raw materials that have come from Switzerland. For milk and dairy products, 100 per cent of the raw materials must come from Switzerland.
However, exceptions are made for raw materials and ingredients that cannot be directly sourced from ­Switzerland – including cocoa.
The image of the mountain will be swapped for a more standardised summit, according to Mondelez. A spokesman said: “The packaging redesign introduces a modernised and streamlined mountain logo that aligns with the geometric and triangular aesthetic .”
And in case anybody didnt know ( unlikely)
The shape of Toblerone resembles the pyramid shape of the Swiss summit
Next they’ll be telling us the song isn’t true sad

“ 🎶Made with triangular almonds,
From triangular trees, 🌲
And triangular honey, 🍯
From triangular bees. 🐝
And oh, Mr Confectioner please,
Give me Toblerone. 🎶 “
m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxFiVgD2xNk

Oooh, I've always sung
"Made from triangular chocolate from triangular trees".......
Oh dear, I'll have to go away and re learn the words.....

grandtanteJE65 Wed 08-Mar-23 12:23:37

Why is there such a fuss about this?

They are complying with the law in Switzerland, and however daft any of us think it is, it is the law, and must be obeyed.

It worries me more that a Swiss company is trying to cut costs by moving part (or all?) of their production to a country where they can pay their staff less than they can at home.

I know they and others will say, "But that¨s business", but is it really ethical business?

Matelda Wed 08-Mar-23 12:46:30

Recently, there was a case of assault in Jersey where the offensive weapon was a duty free bar of Toblerone. The unfortunate victim needed stitches and was left with a scar. He said that he thought he had been hit with a bottle.

Fernhillnana Wed 08-Mar-23 12:53:02

I lived in Bern in the 1970s and used public transport (trams). The smell from the Toblerone factory was absolutely heavenly though I don’t know how the residents coped…

rockgran Wed 08-Mar-23 13:50:39

Apparently you should push the triangle into the bar to break it off - not pull it outwards.

Coco51 Wed 08-Mar-23 13:57:11

Hope it doesn’t go the same way as Cadbury - It’s never tasted the same since Kraft took it over (promising to keep production staff in the UK then reneging on the deal). Their creme eggs are vile.

Granmarderby10 Wed 08-Mar-23 15:00:48

Mice like Toblerone. A couple of years ago an uninvited one got in and snatched one from my Christmas Selection off a coffee table against a wall. It gnawed through the packaging with ease and had a good old nibble of the white choc one. And that is my favourite too.

Milest0ne Wed 08-Mar-23 15:47:15

I think Switzerland has the right idea ,regarding the protection of Swiss products. We have lost many good British products which , when made abroad or in the control of foreign companies, are not the same quality. I think of Cadbury, Rolls Royce, There are many others.
In Lancashire, a Danish company has set up a factory to make bacon to cater for British tastes, BUT they are importing pork, ,when we have pork producers going out of business and then calling it Made in England.
So, what's in a name?

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Mar-23 16:10:22

rockgran

Apparently you should push the triangle into the bar to break it off - not pull it outwards.

Nor use your teeth?

No wonder I found them hard work (but worth it!)

Hetty58 Wed 08-Mar-23 16:19:04

We'd always get these (huge size) horrid gritty bars at Christmas - and nobody liked them - so a frantic effort was made to give them away to visitors, neighbours, anyone - who maybe passed them on again?

triciarose Wed 08-Mar-23 16:52:21

Try Twin Peaks from Poundland

NannaFirework Wed 08-Mar-23 20:01:12

Love it and looking forward to my Toblerone Easter egg 😬❤️

Oreo Wed 08-Mar-23 22:52:16

Joseanne

Oh, I've just read Matterhorn in the bold bit. That's the one near Interlaken isnt it? I think we had a view from our hotel bedroom once.

I thought that was the Jungfrau?

Oreo Wed 08-Mar-23 22:53:37

Matelda

Recently, there was a case of assault in Jersey where the offensive weapon was a duty free bar of Toblerone. The unfortunate victim needed stitches and was left with a scar. He said that he thought he had been hit with a bottle.

😂

Oreo Wed 08-Mar-23 22:54:29

grandtanteJE65

Why is there such a fuss about this?

They are complying with the law in Switzerland, and however daft any of us think it is, it is the law, and must be obeyed.

It worries me more that a Swiss company is trying to cut costs by moving part (or all?) of their production to a country where they can pay their staff less than they can at home.

I know they and others will say, "But that¨s business", but is it really ethical business?

Am waiting for someone to come along and blame Brexit.

Candelle Thu 09-Mar-23 12:32:48

Thanks for 'the bear' information. We never knew there was a bear on the packaging, probably because we were too busy trying to open the box/break some off (but now we know to push, not pull)!

Edith81 Thu 09-Mar-23 12:54:09

Every Christmas I would receive a large Toblerone White, my favourite. I keep it in the fridge and it lasts about 3 months.

NotTooOld Thu 09-Mar-23 13:16:45

Oh yes! I can see the bear now. Who knew? Gransnet is so educational.

triciarose Thu 09-Mar-23 15:00:35

Has anyone tried Twin Peaks---Poundland's answer to Toblerone? I enjoyed it and it is easy to break off pieces.

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Mar-23 23:49:46

NotTooOld

Oh yes! I can see the bear now. Who knew? Gransnet is so educational.

I didn't
Now I'm going to have to buy some Toblerone to find the bear 😁