Gransnet forums

Food

There’s no substitute for ……

(62 Posts)
Casdon Tue 07-Mar-23 08:12:47

Geeta’s mango chutney, Taylor’s Italian blend coffee, Jelly Belly jelly beans (I know, but I love them).

I’m trying to cut down shopping bills, and will compromise on many things, but I’m not prepared to give up my absolute favourites. Have you got any ‘no substitute’ brands that you really don’t want to live without?

M0nica Tue 07-Mar-23 08:47:01

marmite

Biscuitmuncher Tue 07-Mar-23 08:49:01

The only branded food I buy is kellogs cornflakes

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:24:23

Tiptree tomato sauce.

Hellmann’s mayonnaise.

Norah Tue 07-Mar-23 09:34:40

PG tips

Yammy Tue 07-Mar-23 09:38:17

We did try a cheaper loo paper but have gone back to Andrex, I buy in large bags which is cheaper per sheet but still more expensive.
Good meat we have tried supermarkets own and can manage through the week but at weekends it has to be Independent butchers.
We always bought Illy coffee beans but have been using Sainsbutys fair trade and we like them better.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:46:06

Yorkshire tea, Mornflake oats - and Nuts about Nature peanut butter (the KG tub).

TerriBull Tue 07-Mar-23 09:48:57

Me

Maris Pipers

Husband's requests

Frank Cooper's Original Marmalade
Waitrose toilet rolls
Dove soap

Both of us

Cortado coffee pods
Smoked bacon
Waitrose Chorizo sausages
Heinz beans
M&S Chicken Kiev

TerriBull Tue 07-Mar-23 09:50:25

Oh forgot he must have Scots Porridge Oats as opposed to Quaker Porridge, or any other for that matter.

GagaJo Tue 07-Mar-23 09:51:28

I agree, Marmite.

I used to only drink Yorkshire Tea but have become less picky of late.

TerriBull Tue 07-Mar-23 10:03:38

I'm realising my needs are quite modest compared to husband's he also insists of Fairy washing up liquid, complained when I tired to palm him off with some cheap substitute such as Morning Fresh, what can I say though shock he's pretty much the washer upper in our house. Everything gets washed before it goes in the dishwasher, but that's a whole different thread that has been covered in depth grin

Is there any susbstitute for Marmite apart from that Vegemite stuff they eat in Australia ?

M0nica Tue 07-Mar-23 11:09:30

Biscuitmuncher This thread isn't about branded foods. It is about foods we could not do without.

To marmite I would add, High welfare organic meat, we manage the expense by eating smaller portions.

GagaJo Tue 07-Mar-23 11:12:00

Bread. My main comfort food. I need to eat less of it and manage this by only buying 100% wholemeal which I like less.

Blondiescot Tue 07-Mar-23 11:14:04

Definitely Marmite for me too. I have tried various 'own' brand substitutes over the years, but it's got to be the original. I buy it in big tubs from Costco.

kittylester Tue 07-Mar-23 11:17:18

I thought it was about the brands!

Hellmans
PG Tips
Nairn porridge
Andrex
Kleenex
Cadbury's wholenut

Jaxjacky Tue 07-Mar-23 11:33:38

New potatoes and other veg harvested from your garden and cooked/used within a couple of hours.

Quokka Tue 07-Mar-23 11:34:47

Fresh pesto as opposed to that yucky stuff in jars

DanniRae Tue 07-Mar-23 11:54:36

I have only ever liked Branston Pickle - no other make of pickle. But Mr R once picked up a jar of smaller diced BP and I found I liked that better.
I also only eat Royal Gala eating apples.
Other than that I am not fussy!

Casdon Tue 07-Mar-23 11:54:50

I’ve just thought of another two -HP sauce and Lea and Perrins sauce, nothing else I’ve tried tastes the same at all, they are all too sweet.

TerriBull Tue 07-Mar-23 12:01:25

The OP mentions brands. I thought Marmite was a brand confused

Blossoming Tue 07-Mar-23 12:11:02

Heinz tomato soup, especially when I’m poorly. I know it’s a ridiculous price but no other tomato soup will do,

Blossoming Tue 07-Mar-23 12:13:05

M0nica it’s all about the brands. The OP says “Have you got any ‘no substitute’ brands that you really don’t want to live without?”

Jaxjacky Tue 07-Mar-23 12:45:18

I speed read it too Blossoming!
So, sweetex sweeteners, Worcestershire sauce (as Casdon said), Nizoral shampoo and that’s about it.

Calendargirl Tue 07-Mar-23 12:48:46

I used to think no other cocoa but Bournville. Then Tescos stopped having it, I was forced to try their own make.

Liked it better, and £1 cheaper.

nexus63 Tue 07-Mar-23 12:53:56

my branded items are

haywards pickled red cabbage
branston fruity sauce
warburtons blue bread

the cabbage i buy 12 jars in my monthly shopping.