Gransnet forums

Food

There’s no substitute for ……

(63 Posts)
Casdon Tue 07-Mar-23 08:12:47

Geeta’s mango chutney, Taylor’s Italian blend coffee, Jelly Belly jelly beans (I know, but I love them).

I’m trying to cut down shopping bills, and will compromise on many things, but I’m not prepared to give up my absolute favourites. Have you got any ‘no substitute’ brands that you really don’t want to live without?

VioletSky Thu 09-Mar-23 22:52:30

Marmite
PG tips
Nutella
Philadelphia

glammagran Thu 09-Mar-23 23:16:49

Agree with OP re: Geeta’s mango chutney (the one with chilli for me) and Taylor’s coffee is great but I marginally prefer the hot Java lava beans they do. Only Twinings Assam loose tea, Branston baked beans and Hellmans mayo too.

JaneJudge Fri 10-Mar-23 07:36:16

Sabra hummus

Seabear Fri 10-Mar-23 07:46:13

Skippy extra crunchy peanut butter. First had it in the US and now buy it in 1kg jars from Amazon.

kittylester Fri 10-Mar-23 07:56:20

I keep seeing things that remind me
Waitrose Salted Butter

Tenko Fri 10-Mar-23 10:40:15

Well , I must be the exception. I’m perfectly happy with supermarket own brands ,and do buy them, apart from Nescafé Azera instant coffee which I buy several tins when on special offer . Dh though , has to have heinz baked beans , pg tips tea bags and Kellogg’s shredded wheat. I mostly shop at Sainsbury’s and Lidl for their fresh bread and loose pistachio nuts . Oh and dh uses the coffee tins to store screws etc

Tenko Fri 10-Mar-23 10:42:01

Oops just realised Kellogg’s don’t do shredded wheat it’s nestle

Callistemon21 Fri 10-Mar-23 10:43:07

Just because we have preferences for certain brands doesn't mean we never buy own brands of other products.

Douwe Egberts coffee jars are good storage jars for nuts, dried fruit etc

Mamardoit Fri 10-Mar-23 11:05:49

HP sauce, Yorkshire Tea, British or Irish meat, British grown fruit and veg wherever possible. I would have included HP beans and branded breakfast cereal but Aldi stuff is just as good now.

Mollygo Fri 10-Mar-23 11:28:13

Callistemon21

Just because we have preferences for certain brands doesn't mean we never buy own brands of other products.

Douwe Egberts coffee jars are good storage jars for nuts, dried fruit etc

True. This thread is only about those foods where we prefer the original, even if the unbranded tastes OK.

Douwe Egberts jars see a lot of use for dog treats in our house as well as the things you mentioned.

Farzanah Fri 10-Mar-23 11:36:32

Maille dijon mustard.
Free range meat. (Once weekly)
M&S Swiss chocs assorted box £10.

Nan231 Fri 10-Mar-23 12:14:10

Warburtons bread,any variety.
Yorkshire tea
Nescafe original
Branston beans
Hellmans mayo
Heinz tomato ketchup