Gransnet forums

Food

Jamie's one pound meals

(255 Posts)
Franbern Tue 14-Mar-23 09:00:10

Came across this on channel 4 by accident. Jamie Oliver reacting to current food prices and showing how to make nice, nourishing meals on a budget.

Just wondering when this was made as last night he made a potato, tuna dish, and his recipe showed that can of tuna at 58p, Not priced at that in my Sainsbury's,

Just shows of the stupid increaases that means that between ther time he made these programmes anes are so much more.d them being aired, the prices show on them are so much more.

Good recipes though, down to earth ingredients. Do wonder how much olive oil he seems to use in everything. Love it when he keeps telling us to put a lid on a saucepan 'in order to save fuel', like we did not know that.

JaneJudge Thu 16-Mar-23 20:34:49

I’ve just realised GSM you are going down the ‘cost’ rabbit hole again, so I don’t know whether it’s worth continuing to engage with you🤷‍♀️

Fleurpepper Thu 16-Mar-23 20:35:20

DDs did shopping for lots of neighbours who had to isolate. And we had neighbours and friends who shopped for us when we had to.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 16-Mar-23 21:27:31

I have no idea what you mean JJ. Perhaps you could elaborate.

Callistemon21 Thu 16-Mar-23 22:15:02

DGS is keen on cooking and can produce a full family meal at age 14.

He'd never watch Mary, Nigella or similar TV chefs but he likes Jamie (and Gordon, who is apparently charming in RL!).

JaneJudge Thu 16-Mar-23 22:23:10

I'm pleased he was inspired by my boyfriend Callistemon x

I think a couple of mine were inspired by Big Cook, Little Cook back in the day and bodger and badger

Gundy Thu 16-Mar-23 22:24:21

Hoo boy… take out the food snobs, the condescending, braggers and fluff heads - I’d say you have a pretty good representation of what the original post was meant to be.

I applaud any chef, tv star, politician, grandma, neighbor, fireman or person on the street who can help with food prep, tips, recipes to help us eat healthy and economically. Don’t waste! Make with love!
Cheers!
USA Gundy

Delila Thu 16-Mar-23 22:33:18

And teach a few skills even to old hands into the bargain….

Eloethan Thu 16-Mar-23 22:35:26

It is, in my opinion, wrong that there is such a disparity in the wealth of this country - and indeed in the world.

I don't think Jamie Oliver should be criticised for being wealthy. He has always tried to campaign for "ordinary" people - he tried to raise the standards in schools and make parents aware of the dangers of junk food. A few parents were outraged that their children should be deprived of chicken nuggets and chips. He opened restaurants where he employed young offenders. Admittedly those restaurants eventually failed, but at least those young people would have acquired the rudiments of cooking and perhaps been better equipped to get further employment.

He has done more than people who are many times wealthier than he is.

Callistemon21 Thu 16-Mar-23 22:36:49

JaneJudge

I think a couple of mine were inspired by Big Cook, Little Cook back in the day and bodger and badger

Who - Gordon? 😲

GrannyLondon Thu 16-Mar-23 23:31:21

To finish this thread I’ll say 2 words
Nigel Slater.

JaneJudge Fri 17-Mar-23 07:13:19

GrannyLondon

To finish this thread I’ll say 2 words
Nigel Slater.

But I love Nigel Slater, he so calming

Norah Fri 17-Mar-23 07:31:04

Jamie's Curried cauliflower, potato, chickpeas & spinach (less than £1 a portion, 4 portions, vegan /vegetarian)

Cheap as chips and quite good. I marked out the ingredients one could easily omit - leaving a still delicious dish.

Jamie is attempting to help with a problem. Well done him.

1 cauliflower
800 g potatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion
1 long green chilli
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder or garam masala
1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas
250 g baby spinach
natural yoghurt
1 lime

Separate the cauliflower into florets, then cook in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, then drain, reserving about 150ml cooking water.
Roughly chop the potatoes and cook in boiling salted water for 10 minutes, then drain.
Peel and thinly slice the garlic and onion, then finely slice the chilli. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over a low heat and sauté the garlic, onion and chilli till softened.
Stir in all the spices, season, and cook for a few minutes. Add the cooked cauliflower, potatoes and reserved cooking water, then simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
Drain and add the chickpeas, then the spinach. Cook, stirring, until the spinach wilts. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with a dollop of yoghurt and a squeeze of lime juice.

Riverwalk Fri 17-Mar-23 07:59:48

Indeed cheap as chips Norah but the portions are tiny - one tin of chickpeas between 4 people gives about 4g of protein each.

I make a similar curry and it's very tasty but hardly filling.

Dickens Fri 17-Mar-23 08:06:56

Eloethan

It is, in my opinion, wrong that there is such a disparity in the wealth of this country - and indeed in the world.

I don't think Jamie Oliver should be criticised for being wealthy. He has always tried to campaign for "ordinary" people - he tried to raise the standards in schools and make parents aware of the dangers of junk food. A few parents were outraged that their children should be deprived of chicken nuggets and chips. He opened restaurants where he employed young offenders. Admittedly those restaurants eventually failed, but at least those young people would have acquired the rudiments of cooking and perhaps been better equipped to get further employment.

He has done more than people who are many times wealthier than he is.

He has done more than people who are many times wealthier than he is

Some seem to take offence that an ordinary, working-class individual has - by his own effort - become rich. Perhaps only the privileged elite should enjoy wealth! They're certainly often respected because of it...

Norah Fri 17-Mar-23 08:22:28

Riverwalk

Indeed cheap as chips Norah but the portions are tiny - one tin of chickpeas between 4 people gives about 4g of protein each.

Two tins would be my preference for a 4 person recipe, £0.49 each tin. Potatoes, Spinach and Cauli are also source to protein.

I serve on basmatti. Filling or not depends on the person, IMO.

Sennelier1 Fri 17-Mar-23 08:37:35

Germanshepherdsmum

You would probably call me a rich Tory Glorianny. Thanks a bunch.

Well, are you a rich Tory? So you have enough money to eat any food you want? That's great! Maybe ask your leaders to make sure nobody has to go hungry?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 17-Mar-23 08:39:11

My leaders are your leaders too. I don’t have a hotline to Number 10 by virtue of my vote.

Riverwalk Fri 17-Mar-23 08:43:49

Norah

Riverwalk

Two tins would be my preference for a 4 person recipe, £0.49 each tin. Potatoes, Spinach and Cauli are also source to protein.

I serve on basmatti. Filling or not depends on the person, IMO.

But the Jamie recipe doesn't have two tins, nor basmati rice - that's my point, such meagre portions wouldn't fill an average person or growing child.

It's perpetuating the myth that you can feed people healthily, for any length of time, on a tiny budget.

Mollygo Fri 17-Mar-23 09:30:47

When we were first married I had £6 per week ‘housekeeping’ and the 2 of us ate very healthily. Then we had children.

What puzzles me is feeding a family with children.
Did/do all your children/grandchildren eat with no complaints or did you/do you cater for their likes and dislikes?
Do you allow any
“Please don’t give me” when you say what’s on the menu?
Did you/do you say, “You stay there till you finish,” or “No pudding till you’ve eaten that,” the way I remember from school dinners?
Did/Do you find your hungry children/grandchildren will eat anything?
Starving children probably would.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Mar-23 09:47:33

JaneJudge

My brother often gets mistaken for Jamie Oliver, they could be twins (he is a good cook also)

Rainnsnow Fri 17-Mar-23 09:58:30

The themes from this thread are that the portions are tiny and Jamie Oliver doesn’t live it so can’t understand. We watched him and read his books but it is formulatic . As a family we have lived and learned how to cope and frugally cook . Jack munroe has lived and learned from scratch. Jamie was brought up in a pub with plenty of food around him. Both approaches are available butJack monroe gives free recipes online and fully understands how fearing not being able to give a basic need such as food to your family is soul destroying. When you have experienced that it never leaves you. I hope this period in time isn’t a time bomb if vitamin deficiency. Food is so much more than eating, poor diet has long term consequences.

Calipso Fri 17-Mar-23 10:14:27

Poor diet does indeed have long term consequences but it's not the kind of food that is cooked from scratch we should be worrying about. The biggest threat to everyone's health is all the ultra highly processed food that fills the supermarket shelves and lulls us into thinking its real food. Even though the price is low and many will choose it because it fills tummies, ultimately it is hugely expensive because it has such poor nutritional value.

Blondiescot Fri 17-Mar-23 10:18:39

Mollygo

When we were first married I had £6 per week ‘housekeeping’ and the 2 of us ate very healthily. Then we had children.

What puzzles me is feeding a family with children.
Did/do all your children/grandchildren eat with no complaints or did you/do you cater for their likes and dislikes?
Do you allow any
“Please don’t give me” when you say what’s on the menu?
Did you/do you say, “You stay there till you finish,” or “No pudding till you’ve eaten that,” the way I remember from school dinners?
Did/Do you find your hungry children/grandchildren will eat anything?
Starving children probably would.

Having had a mother who tried to force me to eat foods I simply couldn't abide (liver being one!), I vowed I'd never force my own children to do the same. I always encouraged them to try different foods (and now do the same with my GS, but if they really didn't want something, I'd leave it and maybe encourage them to try another time. You can leave a child with lifelong issues regarding food by trying to force them to eat everything on their plate. Some children have sensory issues around certain foods too. It's not always black and white.

Glorianny Fri 17-Mar-23 10:23:40

JaneJudge

Everyone knows Badger loves-Mashed Potato!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

merlotgran Fri 17-Mar-23 10:32:36

Norah

*Jamie's Curried cauliflower, potato, chickpeas & spinach* (less than £1 a portion, 4 portions, vegan /vegetarian)

Cheap as chips and quite good. I marked out the ingredients one could easily omit - leaving a still delicious dish.

Jamie is attempting to help with a problem. Well done him.

1 cauliflower
800 g potatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion
1 long green chilli
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder or garam masala
1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas
250 g baby spinach
natural yoghurt
1 lime

Separate the cauliflower into florets, then cook in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, then drain, reserving about 150ml cooking water.
Roughly chop the potatoes and cook in boiling salted water for 10 minutes, then drain.
Peel and thinly slice the garlic and onion, then finely slice the chilli. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over a low heat and sauté the garlic, onion and chilli till softened.
Stir in all the spices, season, and cook for a few minutes. Add the cooked cauliflower, potatoes and reserved cooking water, then simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
Drain and add the chickpeas, then the spinach. Cook, stirring, until the spinach wilts. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with a dollop of yoghurt and a squeeze of lime juice.

In the spirit of ‘waste not, want not,’ the drained liquid from the chickpeas should be saved and frozen.

It’s aqua fava and an excellent substitute for egg in vegan recipes.