Gransnet forums

Food

Vegan/Plant Based Do you ever wonder about the animals you eat eat.

(245 Posts)
Nan99 Sun 09-Apr-23 13:16:50

Is anyone out there a vegan and why, Is it for your health or the animals?
I was a vegetarian for over 25 years and then went vegan nearly 5 years ago. I am ethically a vegan but eat mainly plant-based meals. For me, It is the animals and the suffering they go through on Factory Farms. When you think of the billions of animals on this planet that are raised and killed for food each year, you may scratch your head and wonder why we have this inefficient system of producing food. .

The animals being raised cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, and lamb, have to eat too. About 40% of food grown is for the animals plus the water that is needed.

We could simply cut out the middle cow, pig, etc and the food grown could be for people. Even if it is cows grazing on grass they still end up in the slaughterhouse. They are sentient beings and do not want to die.

'Livestock farming has a vast environmental footprint. It contributes to land and water degradation, biodiversity loss, acid rain, coral reef degeneration and deforestation.

Wild animals suffer not only the collateral damage of meat-related deforestation, drought, pollution, and climate change but also direct targeting by the meat industry. From grazing animals to predators, native species are frequently killed to protect meat-production profits.

Eating plant-based can help your health by reversing heart disease and diabetes and some cancers

Would you eat your cat or dog ( I know they do in some countries)

Just something to think about.

Baggs Sun 09-Apr-23 18:38:08

Yes, I think about it and this is what I think.

Cattle and sheep eat plants that are inedible to humans and turn them into meat and milk that humans can eat.

The plants such animals eat grow on land that is not suitable for growing plant foods that humans can eat.

Granmarderby10 Sun 09-Apr-23 18:50:16

I like meat even though I feel guilty when I think about it.

GagaJo Sun 09-Apr-23 18:56:24

Grammaretto

Other threads are available
Meryl and Nan

I agree.

singingnutty Sun 09-Apr-23 22:12:18

My DIL went vegan in order to try to reverse her diabetes, which had appeared during pregnancy, gone away following the birth and then come back again later, full blown. This worked from a while, but the diabetes was eventually not controlled by veganism. She is now vegetarian and happy to be so. My SIL, who has been a vegetarian since childhood, doesn't like to eat things that are made to look like meat and I can see why. Having tried a lot of them myself, they are not usually very good, although I personally use Quorn mince quite often for cottage pies and bolognaise type sauces. Having dipped a toe (or actually probably a whole foot!) into cooking without animal products, I think that it takes a lot of planning and determination to produce interesting meals, but it certainly can be done. DH and I eat a lot less meat than we used to, but we do eat a lot more fish. Luckily we have a local man who does a round in his van with fresh fish, and also stands on our market every week.

HettyBetty Sun 09-Apr-23 22:28:11

I have been vegan for years, and have not eaten meat of any sort since childhood. It is a perfectly healthy way to live although you need to know a bit about nutrition. People who think otherwise have simply not done enough research. The way animals are treated in the meat and dairy industry is horrific. I don't know how people can accept it at all. I know people who will fawn over a pet dog or cat but then eat a chicken raised and killed inhumanely.

During my pregnancies all the healthcare staff remarked on how well I was, including good iron levels.

I like to think that my diet has helped me sail through the menopause with barely a warm flush and has given me the strong bones which I apparently have.

If anyone can tell me of a vitamin or trace element which will be missing from my diet I would be pleased to hear from them.

Grammaretto Sun 09-Apr-23 22:48:15

Well said HettyBetty grin

Grammaretto Sun 09-Apr-23 22:59:58

So many alternatives are available now. dSiL is vegan as is her DP. Yes they have to take their own oat milk etc so as not to embarrass their hosts if they stay but they are undemanding and very healthy slim and good-looking too
Anyone who likes cooking can just as easily cook with vegetables and grains as with meat.

FannyCornforth Mon 10-Apr-23 03:05:09

Rosie51

I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian. I don't eat huge amounts of meat and often choose a vegetarian option when out or cook vegetarian meals, just because I like the dish. I am aware of animal welfare and buy only fully accredited meat.

I do wonder how vegetarians and vegans manage to have pet dogs and cats. Dogs I believe can live on a vegetarian diet but cats are obligate carnivores. Surely nobody believes animals should be farmed solely to feed their cat or dog?

Regarding pets.
Yes, my dog eats meat and the cat just eats biscuits which I’m sure have meat in (she is ludicrously fussy)
We all make choices, and the huge majority of us are hypocrites to some degree or other.
I don’t eat meat, but I wear leather shoes because the alternatives are too hot and don’t breath.
My sofas are leather because they are practical with my pets.
I don’t believe that anyone needs to justify their choices, it’s not a moral competition

Mogsmaw I couldn’t agree more about horrible over processed vegan food.
There seems to be fewer nice vegetarian options in supermarkets too, now that ‘plant based’ has taken over

BlueBelle Mon 10-Apr-23 07:49:25

I don’t eat meat or fish and haven’t for a few years I don’t call myself vegetarian as I don’t read all labels etc and in a cafe or restaurant I don’t ask what fat is used etc so I don’t think I can use the term vegetation but I just don’t eat meat or fish and that’s good enough for me I stopped some years back and don’t really miss it (only occasionally perhaps miss a fish shop bit of cod or a nice fat prawn) but not enough to make me start eating it again

I have seen the cruelty shown to animal and fish in the industry and don’t want to add to it
I do like quorn mince a lot and went through a period of trying the other substitutes but didn’t really like any very much so mainly stick to vegi s and stir fries jacket potatoes vegi spring rolls things like that now

Hetty58 Mon 10-Apr-23 08:39:22

Nan99:

'Is it for your health or the animals?' - both - but, crucially, urgently important for me (the thing you failed to mention) is the state of the planet and the future for our grandchildren.

We can't just ignore the environmental consequences of our choices. It's our responsibility to show younger generations the way - and meat eating simply isn't sustainable (until factory grown muscle meat becomes mainstream).

I doubt that they'll ever forgive us for selfishly polluting and ruining the planet, our pathetic, inadequate and last minute attempts at slowing the destruction - do you? Those now in their eighties or nineties could possibly have the defence of gross ignorance and negligence - but the rest of us know full well what we've done to the world.

Norah Mon 10-Apr-23 08:51:07

Grammaretto

So many alternatives are available now. dSiL is vegan as is her DP. Yes they have to take their own oat milk etc so as not to embarrass their hosts if they stay but they are undemanding and very healthy slim and good-looking too
Anyone who likes cooking can just as easily cook with vegetables and grains as with meat.

We're vegan, for around 10 years. Much better for our health, the health/welfare of animals and the health of the planet.

Yes, to cooking a wide range of meals, using pulses, lentils, quinoa, tofu, interesting spices and techniques - far more appealing than the lumps of meat, carb, veg approach. Also cheaper, easier, tastier food.

Grammaretto Mon 10-Apr-23 09:03:20

I had a cat, and she lived for almost 20 years, who was born on a farm and caught her own meat! Otherwise she had cat food which was probably made from the bits of meat humans refuse to eat.

Daisymae Mon 10-Apr-23 09:39:32

Have been vegetarian for 20 years. I tried once and failed but the photo of a pig that had it's throat cut trying to escape a vat of boiling water did it for me. The cruelty involved in intensive farming is vast and avoidable but people want cheap food. But something pays along the line.

Shelflife Mon 10-Apr-23 10:36:43

Can someone please explain to me why they don't eat animals - and I fully respect and understand that but are ok about eating fish - another living creature?

volver3 Mon 10-Apr-23 10:39:17

Shelflife

Can someone please explain to me why they don't eat animals - and I fully respect and understand that but are ok about eating fish - another living creature?

For most of us, I imagine, it's because we do the best we can, and despite what people think, we're not zealots.

GagaJo Mon 10-Apr-23 10:42:33

volver3

Shelflife

For most of us, I imagine, it's because we do the best we can, and despite what people think, we're not zealots.

'not zealots' despite all the propaganda and nastiness to the contrary.

But it's a lose, lose situation isn't it? If you're totally vegan, you're accused of shoving it down everyone's throat. If you're flexatarian, you're not committed enough.

Foxygloves Mon 10-Apr-23 10:46:03

Eating plant-based can help your health by reversing heart disease and diabetes and some cancers
While a good diet and healthy eating
are paramount in avoiding type 2 Diabetes and avoiding heart disease, I think it is misleading, dishonest and downright immoral to suggest that diet can reverse or cure any cancer -on a par with that fad for coffee enemas.
Snake oil, FAKE NEWS

Grammaretto Mon 10-Apr-23 10:55:58

shelflife I think we are all different and make our own choices.
I became veggie because of the factory farming . The thought of poor helpless animals in those concentration camps makes me feel sick and very angry.

I don't eat farmed fish either if I can help it but I am ambivalent about the eating of animals such as sheep and deer and so on who have had a we hope happy life.

In every discussion there seems to be a desire to "win the argument" to catch people out or to say "what about the poor vegetables they are also living things and feel pain".
I believe it comes down to doing what we can for a fairer and healthier world.
So eating less meat is a good start.

volver3 Mon 10-Apr-23 10:56:03

Calm down and try to get the facts straight before accusing people of fake news.

www.veganfirst.com/article/battling-cancer-with-a-plant-based-diet-a-survival-story

www.veganfoodandliving.com/vegan-diet/preventing-and-surviving-cancer-with-plant-based-diet/

www.pcrm.org/news/blog/7-ways-vegan-diet-fights-cancer

It may be anecdotal, but there is no need to launch into accusing people of promoting "Snake Oil"

SueDonim Mon 10-Apr-23 11:13:20

volver3

Calm down and try to get the facts straight before accusing people of fake news.

www.veganfirst.com/article/battling-cancer-with-a-plant-based-diet-a-survival-story

www.veganfoodandliving.com/vegan-diet/preventing-and-surviving-cancer-with-plant-based-diet/

It may be anecdotal, but there is no need to launch into accusing people of promoting "Snake Oil"

None of those links prove anything about ‘reversing cancer’. They all refer to using conventional treatments as well as diet.

volver3 Mon 10-Apr-23 11:22:15

I'll be the first one to say that people who tell you that eating broccoli will cure your cancer are deluded. You have conventional medicine and you stick with what the doctor tell you to do.

But that's not what was said. Nobody is saying "eat quinoa and you'll be cured".

But eat a good diet and your body will react better, and "plant based" is a good diet.

I'm not vegan by the way.

Foxygloves Mon 10-Apr-23 11:25:13

volver3

No coincidence I suppose that these are Vegan websites?
How about the BMJ on “alternative” cancer therapy as opposed to traditional oncology?

When people reject conventional therapy and put their faith in some crackpot snake oil (and yes, I mean it) fantasy they are deluded, not infrequently financially scammed and by rejecting even delaying conventional therapies all too often endanger ie shorten their own lives.

Foxygloves Mon 10-Apr-23 11:27:34

volver3

I'll be the first one to say that people who tell you that eating broccoli will cure your cancer are deluded. You have conventional medicine and you stick with what the doctor tell you to do.

But that's not what was said. Nobody is saying "eat quinoa and you'll be cured".

But eat a good diet and your body will react better, and "plant based" is a good diet.

I'm not vegan by the way.

No, you calm down and reread OP
“Eating plant-based can help your health by reversing heart disease and diabetes and some cancers

volver3 Mon 10-Apr-23 11:27:37

I think this inability to actually understand what people are telling you contributes to the misconception that all non-meat-eaters are zealots.

Did you read my post at 11:22 Foxygloves or were you so enraged that you just didn't bother?

sandelf Mon 10-Apr-23 11:31:34

Humans (and other great apes) are biologically evolved omnivores. The problem is not the type of food we eat. There are just too many of us for the planet to support.