Gransnet forums

Food

Leftover Chicken

(54 Posts)
Moonwatcher1904 Thu 27-Apr-23 13:45:03

I make decent cakes but not much good at using leftover stuff. Until months ago I got a couple of meals out of a leftover chicken until I realised what I was wasting so found a recipe for chicken soup. It turned out to be so easy, delicious and so easy to freeze. I have bought one for this Sunday and need to find something other than soup like a pasta bake or something like that. I don't like spicy stuff and as my shopping order is due tomorrow and I would like to know what good sauces and pasta I could use. Any recipe ideas would be most welcome. Thankyou.

hazelnuts Mon 01-May-23 12:07:47

Egg Fried Rice you can add Chicken Peas and any other veg
Delicious

vickya Mon 01-May-23 12:08:34

thestayathomechef.com/butter-chicken/

Butter chicken

Sounds easy and just leave out anything that makes it too spicy

GrandmaLorna Mon 01-May-23 12:22:22

I have done the following dish for years and it goes down very well
Put lightly steamed brocoli in an ovenproof pie dish, add the peices of leftover chicken. In a separate bowl combine a tin of condensed chicken soup, half a tin of water , 4 tbsp of mayonnaise and a tsp of curry powder and salt and pepper.
Pour soup mixture over chicken and brocoli, top with grated cheese and panko breadcrumbs or fresh breadcrumbs, bake for 30 mins ish @ 180° . Serve with a baked potato and extra veg

Susieq62 Mon 01-May-23 12:23:50

Make pancakes @nd stuff them with chicken and mushroom in a creamy sauce. Top with cheeses and Bake in the oven.
Risotto, chicken fajitas, ,the list is endless.
Google 3 or 5 ingredients for other ideas.

Fridayschild Mon 01-May-23 12:29:00

Chicken divan 🤤

Fridayschild Mon 01-May-23 12:34:06

Chicken Divan

Serves 4 but obviously you can reduce by half. 50 mins.

• 4 Chicken Breasts, cooked by whatever means and cut into bite size pieces, if making half the amount you could use leftover chicken, or turkey.
• Large broccoli, cut into its florets and boiled for 5 minutes (I have used frozen sometimes)
• 2 Tins of Campbell’s Condensed Soup - Cream of Chicken or Mushroom, or both!
• 1 Cup of Mayonnaise - that’s about 235mls.
• 2 Tsp Curry Powder.
• 2 Tsp Lemon Juice.
• Grated Cheddar.
• Breadcrumbs (optional)
Heat the oven to 180 degrees.
Mix the soup, mayonnaise, curry powder and lemon juice.
Put the broccoli in the base of a casserole dish, then layer the chicken on top.
Pour over the soup mix and top with grated cheddar. You can add breadcrumbs to the top if you like, but fry them golden in a little butter first. *
Bake uncovered for 40 minutes until the cheese has melted started to brown.

Enjoy with some rice or noodles, crusty bread and a large glass of white.

*2tblsp dry breadcrumbs
Fry in 1tblsp butter

Wolfie59 Mon 01-May-23 12:36:28

AreWeThereYet

I do a chicken in the air fryer a couple of times a month.
If I've done a ham at about the same time I make chicken and ham pie.
Mr A always wants some coronation chicken sandwiches.
Or saute some sliced mushrooms with chopped onions and garlic, add some whisky or brandy and fry off alcohol, add some cream and cold chicken and have with rice or pasta or baked potato or in a big Yorkshire Pudding.
Or Chicken risotto.
Or Chicken curry.

Could you share how you cook a ham in an air fryer please?

CountryMouse22 Mon 01-May-23 12:49:32

Take chicken, chop up into small pieces and place in cat or dog bowl!

Blondiescot Mon 01-May-23 12:58:42

I bought a rotisserie chicken from Costco yesterday, which we had with some crusty bread and salad. Today, we're having it with a pasta salad, which includes pesto, little mozzarella balls and tomatoes (both fresh cherry tomatoes and our homemade 'sundried' ones), and then with the meat which is left, I'm making a chicken, mushroom and leek pie with filo pastry, loosely based on Joe Wicks' chicken pie recipe.

nanna8 Mon 01-May-23 13:10:29

I make a chicken curry the next day,often with sweet potatoes and sometimes with coconut milk.

lixy Mon 01-May-23 13:15:44

Chicken a la peche?
When in a hurry on a Tuesday:

Left-over chicken, can of condensed mushroom or chicken soup and a small tin of sliced peaches. Heat through in oven.
Top with a couple of packets of crisps and heat in oven until they are warm.
Serve with string beans and mashed potato.

Sometimes I stir some stuffing mix in as well and that thickens the sauce up. If have time then soften some onions or leeks to go in as well.

Daddima Mon 01-May-23 13:22:55

timetogo2016

When my children were at home they loved the dinner recipe with leftover chicken.
I put it in a oven proof dish,added chicken soup put mashed potatoes on top then a couple of bags of chicken crisps on the top of the mash then cooked it until i could see the mash was crispy.
I still do it on and off.

I remember seeing a fellow getting a terrible time for making something very like this on Come Dine With Me. I think he called it Chicken Divan. I thought it seemed like a good idea!

Nannan2 Mon 01-May-23 13:30:41

Thank you all as you have given me also some ideas to use up chicken as in our house im the one who has to eat up the leftovers as my 2 sons wont.

Helenlouise3 Mon 01-May-23 13:31:16

What about chicken rissoles/patties. Mix the chicken up with mashed potatoes, onions, breadcrumbs and thyme. Even easier if you have left over stuffing. Roll into balls or patties, dip in egg then breadcrumbs and deep fry. Gorgeous with a few chips/baked beans etc

Maru Mon 01-May-23 13:31:52

I use left-over chicken in this tasty dish: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chicken-chorizo-jambalaya

Nannan2 Mon 01-May-23 13:32:12

Countrymouse22- our fussy cat wont have it either😹

paddyann54 Mon 01-May-23 13:48:13

Ricepudding I've been using this recipe for decades and it is always well received ,sadly as I dont eat fowl I haven't actually tasted it ,
a 4lb chicken or leftovers
1 bay leaf 2 small onions
1 tbsp sunflower oil
4tsp curry powder
3 tbsp of mango chutney
1tbsp tomato puree
3tbsp lemon juice
half a pint of mayo
quarter pint of natural yoghourt
1 large ripe mango
half an ounce of fresh coriander leaves
bring thel chicken to the boil with one onion and the bay leaf then simmer one -one and a half hours
strain the stock and reserve half a pint

heat the oil and fry the 2nd onion for3 -4 minutes -sprinkle the curry powderand cook for 30 seconds
pour in the stock add thechutney tomato puree and lemon juice and simmer for10 minutes.
Strain and set asideuntil cold then add the mayo and yoghourt season to taste .Chill .
Add your chicken and before serving stir in the chopped mango and coriander.
Serve on a bed of lettuce,chicory and cucumber .
you can of course adjust the amounts for a smaller buffet

Norah Mon 01-May-23 14:02:50

Chicken tortilla casserole.

Poach skinned chicken in water with leeks, bay, herbs, carrot, celery. Shred or cube chicken. Using poaching liquid make usual thickened sauce - sliced mushrooms, butter, flour (much like tinned mushroom soup, except it tastes nice).

Layer torn tortillas, sauce, chicken, cheeses and repeat - bake.

Bossyrossy Mon 01-May-23 15:17:28

I’m going to try making lasagna tonight with left over roast chicken, haven’t done it before. I’ll make a cheese sauce, put chicken pieces in and layers up with lasagna pasta, top with grated cheddar and pop in the oven for 30 min. Serve with a green salad,

essjay Mon 01-May-23 16:34:42

i used to make chicken and sweetcorn lasagne with leftover chicken when my children were young, just used a white sauce instead of a tomato sauce.

AreWeThereYet Mon 01-May-23 16:34:49

Wolfie59 Will pm you as it's not really about chicken 🙂

Lizzie44 Mon 01-May-23 17:48:52

Make a pasta dish with any combination of bacon cubes + chopped onion + chopped mushrooms + chopped cold chicken. Add creme fraiche and stir into cooked pasta (eg penne). Season and serve.

Marylynn1949 Mon 01-May-23 18:23:41

Chicken divan

grandtanteJE65 Mon 01-May-23 18:42:06

Take all the meat off the bones, and throw the bones out.

You can make Shepherd's pie with the leftover chicken, simply by mincing it and putting it in a well-greased ovenproof dish. If there is any gravy or soup from the chicken left, pour some of it over the minced meat.

Boil a few potatoes, mash them and place the mashed potatoes over the chicken as a lid. Bake it for three-quarters of an hour in the oven at 180 degrees celsius.

If you prefer, you can freeze the ready made pie and bake it after it has defrozen when you want to eat it.

If you prefer a cold dish, make Danish chicken salad as follows., boil a handful macaroni for the length of time stated on the packet, strain it and let it stand until it is quite cold.

Remove the chicken meat from the bones and cut the meat up into small cubes. Depending on the amount of meat you have you will need four or five tablespoons of home-made or bought mayonnaise, that you put into a bowl and stir up with a little salt, pepper and Worcester sauce. If you like, you can add strained cubed pickled gherkins to the mayonnaise.

Add the macaroni and chicken once the macaroni is quite cold.

This salad can be eaten on sandwiches or with hard-boiled eggs, which should likewise be served cold, with or without a few slices of cold thinly sliced bacon which has been fried very crispy.

Ladyfungi59a Mon 01-May-23 21:19:57

Try Mary Berry's Tuscan chicken plus some crusty bread. It only take one cooking pot (I use a wok). It's really lovely, all my family now make it - even my young grandchildren. Add crème fraise instead of cream for a lighter sauce. But don't add the left over cooked chicken too quickly as it will go a bit mushy. Enjoy.