Gransnet forums

Food

Eggy bread - how come I’ve never made it before?

(95 Posts)
Witzend Sun 24-Sep-23 15:33:37

I’d read about it more than once - usually in novels - but only thought to try some this morning, for a very late breakfast.
Super quick and tasty - I’ll certainly be having it again.

Callistemon21 Sun 24-Sep-23 22:07:24

Welsh rarebit has cheese, eggs and possibly beer (or milk) and Worcestershire sauce and goes on top of the toast.

MrsKen33 Mon 25-Sep-23 05:58:28

And Welsh rarebit is not cheese on toast !

Greta Mon 25-Sep-23 07:02:39

I grew up in Sweden and when bread was getting a bit stale we often had 'Fattiga Riddare'. This translates as 'Poor Knights'. It was served as a pudding with sugar and cinnamon.
I've had in Germany too: 'Arme Ritter.'

Esmay Mon 25-Sep-23 07:26:41

We always called it French toast - made simply with beaten eggs and some pepper .
Absolutely delicious with mushrooms and bacon .

Greta Mon 25-Sep-23 10:57:25

It seems the poor knights have been travelling around in various disguises.

Witzend Mon 25-Sep-23 11:11:04

I’ve also seen something described as ‘Irish Dips’ which were fingers of bread dipped in egg and fried in bacon fat. It was mentioned in one of those school-mums compilation cookery books back in the 80s. The writer said her mother had made them a lot during WW2 .
I wouldn’t have thought you’d be able to save much bacon fat during WW2, but there was always the Black Market I suppose…

JackyB Mon 25-Sep-23 13:30:44

I was taught it when I was au pairing in my teens. I had joined up with some American Girl Scouts locally
- this was in Mannheim) and we made it at camp.

I was told only to dip the bread in the egg very quickly before cooking and on no account to let it soak in. Since then I have seen recipes and videos that say you should let the egg soak in and saturate the bread. I still don't know which is best.

Probably the Americans did it their way because they have a horror of raw egg ( understandable the way they treat eggs).

And yes, in German, they are Arme Ritter (poor knights) and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon they are "rostige Ritter" - rusty knights!

merlotgran Mon 25-Sep-23 13:51:17

You haven’t lived until you’ve had cheesy eggy bread, a Royal Navy speciality. A local café has it on their specials board every day. It’s a winner!

merlotgran Mon 25-Sep-23 13:57:39

Fleurpepper

cinnamon caster sugar smile

I might try this next time I do brunch for the DGCs. After all it’s just a deconstructed doughnut.

She says, trying to convince herself. 🤔😄

Aveline Mon 25-Sep-23 15:03:00

merlotgran that sounds yummy. Just needs some bacon and mushrooms!

Callistemon21 Mon 25-Sep-23 15:21:23

merlotgran

You haven’t lived until you’ve had cheesy eggy bread, a Royal Navy speciality. A local café has it on their specials board every day. It’s a winner!

DH used to mention Hammy Eggy Cheesey (or Cheesey Hammy Eggy) quite often!
I've never made it for him 😁

merlotgran Mon 25-Sep-23 15:38:09

Oh yes! I forgot the ham! 😂

Callistemon21 Mon 25-Sep-23 16:01:04

It sounds like cholesterol on a plate!

But just the thing when you came off watch.

Ailidh Mon 25-Sep-23 16:42:13

Eggy bready in our house growing up.

Always thin, ready-sliced white bread, well soaked in an egg and milk mixture, then fried in very hot bacon fat.
Suspect it was a way of stretching an egg.
Bloomin' tasty too 😋

Primrose53 Mon 25-Sep-23 17:04:16

My kids loved eggy toast if they were feeling poorly.

Urmstongran Mon 25-Sep-23 17:37:55

Callistemon21

merlotgran

A woman after me own heart Calli. When we first married Himself used to tell me about his mother’s huge pan of cabbage and ribs which would be simmering on the back hob - she had to feed 8 every night in that household. He rhapsodised about it on and off for a couple of years ... it fell on stony ground.
🤣

CanadianGran Mon 25-Sep-23 22:42:37

We call it French Toast, and it is served with maple syrup and fruit. Usually a breakfast or brunch item, but we will have it for dinner on occasion.

Ktsmum Tue 26-Sep-23 11:17:59

Made it for DD's breakfast on Saturday with brioche rolls😋😋

Treetops05 Tue 26-Sep-23 11:19:03

I was raised on it, as we my children - when Daddy wasn't around as he hates it. My first call from my son when he went to Uni. as a mature student was 'Muuum, how do I do the French eggy toast you used to do'? So I taught him over the phone 😉

jocork Tue 26-Sep-23 11:20:10

My mum called it French Fried Bread. Funnily enough I nearly made some yesterday but ended up just having beans on toast with bacon. Maybe today.

goose1964 Tue 26-Sep-23 11:24:23

My grandson loves it, especially if I drop a cheese sandwich in the egg. I believe this is based on an Italian dish

Saetana Tue 26-Sep-23 11:29:58

Eggy bread/French toast - two different names for the same thing, I love it - makes a delicious breakfast or light lunch.

Juicylucy Tue 26-Sep-23 11:39:21

My kids loved it, then as teenagers had it as hangover cure.

DC64 Tue 26-Sep-23 11:39:52

We used to put cinnamon in the mix … or sometimes marmite !!

Milliedog Tue 26-Sep-23 11:43:00

Recipe please.....I've never had it!