Gransnet forums

Food

Eggy bread - how come I’ve never made it before?

(95 Posts)
Witzend Sun 24-Sep-23 15:33:37

I’d read about it more than once - usually in novels - but only thought to try some this morning, for a very late breakfast.
Super quick and tasty - I’ll certainly be having it again.

TiggyW Tue 26-Sep-23 19:44:34

Never had eggy bread - sounds very unhealthy, but probably good for feeding a large family. I’ll give it a try though. 👍

Hammo Tue 26-Sep-23 19:54:36

I like that 😂!

rosemarigold Wed 27-Sep-23 00:13:15

How do you make the cheesy version please Hetty?

Gundy Wed 27-Sep-23 05:19:41

Now you’ve done it… reading this caused me to make (sourdough) cinnamon French Toast at 11:00 at night!
Pass the maple syrup, please!
USA Gundy

grannymags Wed 27-Sep-23 06:53:41

My mum called it policeman’s toast no idea why but we loved it

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Sep-23 07:57:12

Made some for breakfast yesterday.

Very filling isn’t it☺️

twiglet77 Wed 27-Sep-23 08:55:22

We used to call it gypsy toast, we didn’t have things like cinnamon or vanilla when I was a child but I had it spread with jam.

I make some version of it several times a week, especially lush with tiger bread! Sometimes add salt and pepper and have it with bacon, sometimes sweet and spiced, sometimes with fruit, maple syrup or a little Demerara sugar.

Redhead56 Wed 27-Sep-23 08:56:29

My DH requests it occasionally I think it’s a cholesterol special and unhealthy so it’s not for me.

Marydoll Wed 27-Sep-23 08:59:03

Redhead56

My DH requests it occasionally I think it’s a cholesterol special and unhealthy so it’s not for me.

I don't see a problem, if I have it occasionally as a treat. It doesn't need to be fried in butter or bacon fat.

Stilllearning Wed 27-Sep-23 09:02:17

Delicious using M&S cheese crusty loaf.

Redhead56 Wed 27-Sep-23 10:13:15

I have tried to not fry anything for me personally so I don’t have to give into statins. Its worked so far I am tempted by these foods but I am very stubborn.

Bella23 Wed 27-Sep-23 10:16:05

I used to make Melba toast years ago it is a faf. You need a very wide sliced loaf or cut wide slices yourself . Toast one side under a grill then turn and toast the other, Cut the crusta off and insert a sharp knife between the two layers then you put the layers under the grill uncooked side up and watch like a hawk or it goes up in flames. You can keep it in an airtight tin. These days I just buy a packet of Melba toast.

merlotgran Wed 27-Sep-23 10:19:26

I don't see a problem, if I have it occasionally as a treat. It doesn't need to be fried in butter or bacon fat

Add some mushrooms and tomato and you have a balanced meal. 😂

Witzend Wed 27-Sep-23 10:25:48

Marydoll

Redhead56

I don't see a problem, if I have it occasionally as a treat. It doesn't need to be fried in butter or bacon fat.

I fried my first attempt in just a film of oil.
I think it’d have been nice in a bit of bacon fat, not that I ever really have any. Maybe I should treat myself to some streaky (I only like it seriously crisped up) and fry the EB immediately afterwards.

3dognight Wed 27-Sep-23 11:20:08

Have always eaten this as a child and adult. We always called it Egg Dips.
Slices always cut into four, before dipping and frying in a good tablespoon of sunflower oil. With a side of brown sauce.
I can clearly remember cutting up my little brothers ‘egg dips’ and blowing on them to cool them.

paddyann54 Wed 27-Sep-23 11:30:54

Is the cheesy eggy hammy one like a Croque monsieur/madam?

merlotgran Wed 27-Sep-23 13:24:13

paddyann54

I think it can be done two ways. Like a toasted cheese and ham sandwich with a fried egg on top or the sandwich is dipped in beaten egg and fried on both sides until the cheese has melted.

Callistemon21 Wed 27-Sep-23 17:20:16

merlotgran

paddyann54

I think it can be done two ways. Like a toasted cheese and ham sandwich with a fried egg on top or the sandwich is dipped in beaten egg and fried on both sides until the cheese has melted.

I asked my DH and he said "A crock what?"

He doesn't know how to make it either as the chefs used to make it!!
He thought: toast one side of one slice of bread, then add ham and cheese on the untoasted side, grill, then top with a fried egg.

Croque Monsieur sounds like a very posh version.

Ali08 Sun 08-Oct-23 04:33:12

I used to make it for my stepson, once he'd told me how to do it! When I tasted it quite some time afterwards I decided I, too, liked it, and it's so simple to make!!