Gransnet forums

Food

Should beans be part of an English fry up? Should Yorkshire puddings be served with any roast?

(140 Posts)
Sago Thu 28-Sep-23 10:24:11

I don’t think beans should go anywhere near a traditional English breakfast, all that sugary sauce spoils the flavours, and tinned tomatoes should be illegal on a fry up!

Also it seems to be increasingly popular to serve Yorkshire pudding with any roast, when the beef is resting and the magnificent puddings come out of the oven is a glorious moment.
I think they should be preserved for beef only……having said that if someone else prepared them and served them with lamb for instance then I would feel city bound to eat them😉.

Poppyred Thu 28-Sep-23 11:50:07

Love baked beans with an English breakfast …. Not the same without them.

Yorkshire puds with roast beef only.

Bodach Thu 28-Sep-23 11:51:10

I always include baked beans in a 'full fry-up' breakfast. They go particularly well with my breakfast (or any time, actually) favourite: Stornoway Black Pudding. Food of the Gods...

Nannarose Thu 28-Sep-23 11:51:27

I think it's fine to serve Yorkshire with any meat, but we always eat it first, with gravy. When I was a child we had it every Sunday, whatever the joint.
However, it is one of the few things that I cannot cook! I'm pretty competent at most stuff, but my Yorkshires are only 'ok'. So I tend to reserve the anxiety of making them for roast beef only (and of course, toad in the hole!).
I have followed every piece of advice on here over the years about making good Yorkshire pud'ns, and not one of them works for me.

Nannarose Thu 28-Sep-23 11:53:46

PS: Isn't there a witty Sydney Smith quote (thought to be the model for Henry Tilney) about not liking gravy?
Someone will know.

Nannarose Thu 28-Sep-23 11:54:46

And also, much as I dislike tinned baked beans with an English breakfast, they also are a cheap way to make it stretch.

Oreo Thu 28-Sep-23 11:56:22

GrannyGravy13

It’s the 21st century, surely we can have beans if we want, as for Yorkshire puddings if I fancy a yorkie with roast pork/chicken/lamb or even Christmas roast turkey I will have one.

One of my favourite Saturday morning breakfasts is baked beans on toast sprinkled with grated cheese yummy.

I have to try that now 😄
Serve and eat whatever you want is my motto.Beans are good fibre.Yorkshires go with anything.

Oreo Thu 28-Sep-23 11:58:33

Nannarose

I think it's fine to serve Yorkshire with any meat, but we always eat it first, with gravy. When I was a child we had it every Sunday, whatever the joint.
However, it is one of the few things that I cannot cook! I'm pretty competent at most stuff, but my Yorkshires are only 'ok'. So I tend to reserve the anxiety of making them for roast beef only (and of course, toad in the hole!).
I have followed every piece of advice on here over the years about making good Yorkshire pud'ns, and not one of them works for me.

Tesco do great Yorkshires, look in the meat section in chilled foods, not frozen ones.

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-Sep-23 11:59:29

Yes and yes for me. But I can’t make decent Yorkshires either, Nannarose, so Aunt Bessie has to help out. No, they’re not as good as a lovely homemade one, but mine are very far from that.

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-Sep-23 12:00:06

Tesco, eh? I’ll be trying them.

Nannarose Thu 28-Sep-23 12:05:07

Well, honestly, I can make them as well as Aunt Bessie, but nowhere near as well as my 2 nans, my mum, my MiL, my sister or one of my nieces!
And of course, I've googled Sydney Smith "Madam, I have been looking for a person who dislikes gravy all my life. Let us swear eternal friendship"

MiniMoon Thu 28-Sep-23 12:07:00

Hash browns have no place on a full English breakfast, they are an American import. Definitely no tinned tomatoes but I don't mind baked beans.
Yorkshire puddings with beef only. Its just wrong to have them with any other meat. Lamb has mint sauce, pork with apple sauce and sage and onion stuffing, chicken and turkey have their own accompanying trimmings.
Call me a traditionalist.

MaizieD Thu 28-Sep-23 12:08:41

Everybody has their own tastes and there's nothing at all wrong with that.

For me a 'Full English' is bacon, perhaps sausage, fried egg, fried real tomatoes, mushrooms and fried bread. Not a baked bean in sight.

Yorkshire puds with beef only.

GG13 Baked beans with grated cheese on them (they have to be hot enough to melt the cheese) is the only way to make the damn things edible grin

merlotgran Thu 28-Sep-23 12:09:47

One of my favourite Saturday morning breakfasts is baked beans on toast sprinkled with grated cheese yummy

I often have that for lunch on Saturdays. Sometimes with a jacket potato instead of toast.

Salti Thu 28-Sep-23 12:16:25

Nannarose have you tried making them with bread flour? That,I find, makes all the difference.

Witzend Thu 28-Sep-23 12:17:24

A student landlady of mine (in Yorkshire) used to serve the Yorkshire pud - with sultanas in! - as a first course, with gravy.

I found it very odd at first, but it was very nice.

I don’t see anything wrong with YPs with any roast, if that’s what people like. How people manage them for Christmas dinner, though, with all the sundry veg and sides to think of, I don’t know. (That’s home made of course, not Bessie’s).

ginny Thu 28-Sep-23 12:24:23

"Madam, I have been looking for a person who dislikes gravy all my life. Let us swear eternal friendship"

I don’t mind a little gravy but can’t stand it when the meal is swimming in it. I always ask for the gravy to be served in a small jug so I can it it where needed.

basicallygrace12 Thu 28-Sep-23 12:26:20

if you go to breakfast at our local Toby carvery they serve Yorkshire puddings with breakfast! Not sure if this is just a Yorkshire thing? But doesn't appeal to me.
Beans, in my opinion, should not be served at all, but love a Yorkshire with a roast. My ex, Sheffield born, always insisted the yorkshire and gravy got served as a first course on Christmas day.

Pammie1 Thu 28-Sep-23 12:29:34

Foxygloves

I don’t think there is any should about it.
Have beans hash browns, black pudding, square sausage or anything you want.
And given that Yorkshire pudding was originally devised to help fill you up and so “stretch” the meat available - why ever not?
Delicious on its own with gravy!

Left over Yorkshire pud ink our house gets served up with sugar and lemon juice - similar to pancakes.

Aveline Thu 28-Sep-23 12:30:06

No and no

Pammie1 Thu 28-Sep-23 12:30:51

ginny

"Madam, I have been looking for a person who dislikes gravy all my life. Let us swear eternal friendship"

I don’t mind a little gravy but can’t stand it when the meal is swimming in it. I always ask for the gravy to be served in a small jug so I can it it where needed.

I agree. I love gravy, specially made properly with the meat juices from the pan, but I always serve it in a jug so people cam help themselves. I hate my meal swamped in it - it’s really off putting.

Cabbie21 Thu 28-Sep-23 13:14:57

A Full English in a B& B probably” should” not serve baked beans but if they offer them as an option, who’s to say they are wrong? Personally I might add beans, but then I wouldn’t eat mushrooms or fried bread or hash browns. Definitely not tinned tomatoes.

I only make Yorkshire puddings with beef, but if someone else makes them I gladly eat them with any meal, especially if my son has made them. His are incredible!
Should does not come into it.

Mushy peas or baked beans with fish and chips, anyone?

Aveline Thu 28-Sep-23 13:20:23

I hate gravy! Don't like the way it contaminates everything on the plate

eazybee Thu 28-Sep-23 13:23:17

I don't like baked beans or tinned tomatoes, (too much juice) so I wouldn't have them with a cooked (grilled not fried) breakfast, and I only serve Yorkshire puddings with roast beef, but it is a matter of choice.

Kittycat Thu 28-Sep-23 13:23:41

Yorkshire pudding only with beef? What about Toad in the hole? Where would I put my sausages? ! 😉

dogsmother Thu 28-Sep-23 13:30:34

Each to their own say I !