Gransnet forums

Food

Should beans be part of an English fry up? Should Yorkshire puddings be served with any roast?

(140 Posts)
Sago Thu 28-Sep-23 10:24:11

I don’t think beans should go anywhere near a traditional English breakfast, all that sugary sauce spoils the flavours, and tinned tomatoes should be illegal on a fry up!

Also it seems to be increasingly popular to serve Yorkshire pudding with any roast, when the beef is resting and the magnificent puddings come out of the oven is a glorious moment.
I think they should be preserved for beef only……having said that if someone else prepared them and served them with lamb for instance then I would feel city bound to eat them😉.

Oldnproud Thu 28-Sep-23 13:39:37

Sago

I don’t think beans should go anywhere near a traditional English breakfast, all that sugary sauce spoils the flavours, and tinned tomatoes should be illegal on a fry up!

Also it seems to be increasingly popular to serve Yorkshire pudding with any roast, when the beef is resting and the magnificent puddings come out of the oven is a glorious moment.
I think they should be preserved for beef only……having said that if someone else prepared them and served them with lamb for instance then I would feel city bound to eat them😉.

I have no strong feelings either way regarding baked beans, but Yorkshire puddings have always been served with any roast in my Yorkshire family for as far back as my mum can remember, so certainly back in her grandparents' time. In fact, they can be served with any meat served with gravy, so also served with things like liver and onions! Why ever not? 😕 😁

Visgir1 Thu 28-Sep-23 13:41:59

Beans for me at Breakfast, but not with Eggs that's a strange combination.
Yorkshire's, only served with Beef when DD and DS are at home with their families, then they are frozen ones. Never made one in my life, always thought they were a odd item to eat.
I have never eaten Toad in the hole either, another strange concoction IMO.

Oldnproud Thu 28-Sep-23 13:42:02

Kittycat

Yorkshire pudding only with beef? What about Toad in the hole? Where would I put my sausages? ! 😉

😁

kittylester Thu 28-Sep-23 13:50:54

Bella23

Personally no beans or tinned toms for breakfast and Yorkshire pudding only with Beef. I had a relation who served the pudding first with Beef Gravy and then the roast and Vegetables.
These days I think anything anyone wants goes. Though we only have Yorkshire pudding with Beef.

That was how it was originally served- filling up on Yorkshire pud and there eating less meat. Xx

M0nica Thu 28-Sep-23 13:54:35

I can think of absolutely no reason why beans, or tinned spaghetti, prunes or peaches should not be served with a cooked breakfast, if that is what someone wants, A fried breakfast is really just a random collection of food that will cook in a frying pan.

The modern cooked breakfast is just that, a modern recreation of a meal that never existed in its current form. As a child a cooked breakfast meant a fried egg, a rasher of bacon OR a suasage and a small piece of fried bread and no more.

Yes, a Yorkshire pudding customarily went with roast beef in Yorkshire. If you want to be purist, it should not be served outside Yorkshire. Elsewhere all joints were served with a boiled pudding of some kind, or to be precise the pudding (including Yorkshire) was served before the meat.

If you read Charlotte Bronte's novel Shirley the squire in there says to one of his children 'No pudding without broth, no meat without pudding.' meaning you had a bowl of soup and then a slice of pudding to be eaten before you got to the point in the meal where you were served meat. The first two courses blunted your apetite so that a small quantity of meat could give a satisfactory meal to a large family.

Both meals, a modern cooked breakfast or roast beef with a yorkshire pudding are essentially entirely modern adaptions of traditional meals So eat what you like with whatever you like and only follow the so called 'rules' if you want to.

SueDonim Thu 28-Sep-23 14:07:13

I found my Dh eating macaroni pudding for breakfast today so I don’t think my opinion on this topic would be valid. grin

Anyway…I’m not a huge fan of a cooked breakfast. I have a Weetabix every morning with two coffees and that’s me. I prefer hotels where you can pay separately for breakfast because I just don’t eat it, though Dh has his fill. Having said which, I once stayed at a country hotel in the Lake District which offered tomatoes on toast for breakfast and that was delicious.

People can eat what they want when they want, as far as I’m concerned, so long as they don’t make other folks share their likes/dislikes!

There is a funny book by Felicity Cloake, the food writer, on British breakfasts. It’s interesting , too, with info on how various areas came to have their own version of things. She’s written an even funnier book about eating croissants in France.

www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jun/15/red-sauce-brown-sauce-by-felicity-cloake-review-great-british-breakfast-regional-hogs-pudding-honey?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Louella12 Thu 28-Sep-23 14:08:33

I love Yorkshire Puddings. Home made of course.

However I can eat them with anything. I should try some with a cooked breakfast!

With beans but only m&s beans. Which apart from being the best beans ever they are also the cheapest

silverlining48 Thu 28-Sep-23 14:16:18

Cheaper than Aldi?

Theexwife Thu 28-Sep-23 14:46:50

I have never had a cooked breakfast, I could not face cooking it or eating it in the morning.

I am not a meat eater but I really like Yorkshire pudding and have it with veg and gravy, sometimes I will have it after a meal with syrup on.

sharon103 Thu 28-Sep-23 15:01:21

GrannyGravy13

It’s the 21st century, surely we can have beans if we want, as for Yorkshire puddings if I fancy a yorkie with roast pork/chicken/lamb or even Christmas roast turkey I will have one.

One of my favourite Saturday morning breakfasts is baked beans on toast sprinkled with grated cheese yummy.

Oh yes. Me too Granny Gravy.

M0nica Thu 28-Sep-23 15:24:15

Louella12 What a great idea, I think a Yorkshire pudding would taste really nice with a cooked breakfast.

Glorianny Thu 28-Sep-23 15:27:19

Cheesy beans on toast was a favourite lunch for my DCs

Have you really never had a cooked breakfast Theexwife? I always think it's one of the best things about staying in a hotel.

Callistemon21 Thu 28-Sep-23 15:36:59

A couple of hotels we stayed in served the baked beans in a ramekin so they didn't get mixed up with the rest of the breakfast.

Sausage and mash with baked beans - comfort food!

Theexwife Thu 28-Sep-23 15:37:21

GloriannyI am sure I will be considered rather boring in my breakfast choice. Since I was a child I have had 2 slices of toast and marmalade every day, the type of bread can vary. I could not stand the smell of cooking in the morning.

I used to eat meat so have had sausages or bacon and obviously had beans, tomatoes etc. but not all together.

Callistemon21 Thu 28-Sep-23 15:43:01

M0nica

Louella12 What a great idea, I think a Yorkshire pudding would taste really nice with a cooked breakfast.

A good idea.

Better than those pre-formed hash browns!

nightowl Thu 28-Sep-23 15:47:40

Yorkshire puddings are the best part of the meal, and for that reason I would say Yorkshire puddings are fine just as they are. My Yorkshire mum served them with any meat, my dad had his, as big as a dinner plate, with gravy before the meat and veg, as was customary when he was a child. In my family we now eat them without meat but with every veggie variation on a Sunday roast.

Despite years of practice, my mum always said her puddings weren’t very good but to me, they were the best I have ever tasted before or since.

Daddima Thu 28-Sep-23 15:48:30

Salti

I'm a Yorkshire lass and love Yorkshire pudding. We have it with any roast or stew/casserole etc. I think the frozen ones are rubbish however. This is a proper one!

That is one outstanding pudding!

For me, the plate space occupied by beans at breakfast would be better kept for black pudding ( Stornoway if possible), haggis, mushrooms, potato scone, or an extra square sliced sausage.
However, it’s your breakfast, so have whatever you like!

SachaMac Thu 28-Sep-23 15:55:17

I prefer my beans on their own on toast or with cheese in a jacket potato rather than as part of a breakfast. I wouldn’t object to a few on my plate with a breakfast but don’t see the need.
I like Yorkshire Puds with a roast beef dinner & sometimes with a beef stew but I don’t like them with a roast Turkey Christmas lunch, there’s more than enough with pigs in blankets, stuffing etc.

MaizieD Thu 28-Sep-23 16:47:58

Ah, pigs in blankets (just a little diversion, this)

I rarely cook a turkey at Christmas these days, but my DD insists we have pigs in blankets regardless of what's being served.

Pigs in blankets with venison, anyone?

That's enough. As you were, ladies... back to yorkshire puds and baked beans..

Nannarose Thu 28-Sep-23 17:28:47

Salti

Nannarose have you tried making them with bread flour? That,I find, makes all the difference.

Yes! But thanks for checking!

Nannarose Thu 28-Sep-23 17:30:06

I think 'hash browns' are just the American version of 'potato pancakes' that we would often have at all sorts of eals, including breakfast.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Sep-23 18:00:10

Beans …why not tinned tomatoes why not, love them
I ve never heard of potato pancakes We did have friend mash which is close to hash browns that I really like
Yorkshire puds go with anything and everything I don’t eat meat so my yorkies are always on the plate if I had a roast

I hate silly rules of only, this with this ….anything with anything for me

Jaxjacky Thu 28-Sep-23 18:56:39

I like beans, even cold, so yes. Yorkshires I consider take u too much space, I could fit in more veg without one.

lixy Thu 28-Sep-23 19:05:47

Beans are fine in their place - and that is not anywhere near my bacon and mushrooms thanks all the same. But each to their own so I serve a buffet style cooked breakfast on the very rare occasion I cook one.

Tinned tomatoes? No thanks.

Yorkshire puds? Oh yes! With roasts or beef stew. Mary Berry's recipe doesn't let me down.

Callistemon21 Thu 28-Sep-23 19:20:18

Has anyone tried baked beans in a Yorkshire pudding?

I'm sure we've had toad-in-the-hole with baked beans.