Gransnet forums

Food

Recipe for " thumbprint cakes"

(30 Posts)
62Granny Tue 13-Feb-24 18:14:24

Does anyone have a recipe for these cakes, they were one of the first things we made in cookery in school, I think they were are rubbing in method and you put jam in the thumbprint indentations then baked. I am not even sure the name I am using is correct but was the only way I could think of describing them.

MissInterpreted Tue 13-Feb-24 18:25:10

This is one I've used when I've been baking with my little GS. They were nice - didn't last long, anyway! grin
www.cookingwithmykids.co.uk/jam-thumbprint-cookies/

Whiff Tue 13-Feb-24 18:44:20

Jam thumb prints
225g SR flour
100s granulated sugar
1 med egg
125g spread or butter
1 tablespoon milk
Half teaspoon vanilla extract
About tablespoon of jam
Extra sugar for sprinkling

Oven 200°c

Put flour and sugar in a bowl rub in fat. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Stir in to make soft dough.
If mixture is very sticky add bit more flour
If mixture is dry add bit more milk.

You need to beable to roll it into balls..

Divide the mixture in 16 pieces and roll into balls.

Arrange on baking tray lined with baking paper. Spaced apart.

Flour your thumb and make small well into middle of dough.

Place a marble size piece of jam into well.

Bake for 10 mins
Reduce oven to 180°c and bake for another 5 mins. Until golden.

Sprinkle with sugar. Leave on tray for 5 mins before putting in rack to cool.

Whiff Tue 13-Feb-24 18:45:00

Missed the g off 100g of sugar

62Granny Tue 13-Feb-24 19:05:56

Thank you both, different methods so will try both 😋😋

bikergran Wed 14-Feb-24 10:37:19

Think we called them raspberry buns (delicious either way) making me want to bake some.

Whiff Wed 28-Feb-24 13:17:11

62Granny don't laugh . It's my week I bake for my craft group tomorrow. I can't do them the usual way as my hands won't let me so I couldn't do the jam thumbprints as they should. So I just spooned mixture onto trays and used the floured end of a knife to make a hole for my jam . Also made cupcakes and put some jam on the top so it would sink in while cooking

keepingquiet Wed 28-Feb-24 13:20:51

Yes, we called them raspberry buns!

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 28-Feb-24 14:52:13

We made these in Domestic Science in 1964, I haven’t made them since, but we called them raspberry buns.

Mum didn’t have raspberry jam so I had to use home made Bramble Jelly.

Oldnproud Wed 28-Feb-24 15:09:50

Whiff

62Granny don't laugh . It's my week I bake for my craft group tomorrow. I can't do them the usual way as my hands won't let me so I couldn't do the jam thumbprints as they should. So I just spooned mixture onto trays and used the floured end of a knife to make a hole for my jam . Also made cupcakes and put some jam on the top so it would sink in while cooking

Those look like what I know as Melting Moments, though for those the little balls of
dough are rolled in oats before making the hole for the jam. I think it was a Bero recipe.

Oldnproud Wed 28-Feb-24 15:10:38

I'm hungry now 😁

Shelflife Wed 28-Feb-24 15:15:19

I also made them in domestic science class in school,( 1964) we definitely called them raspberry buns - I will make some asap!

Salti Wed 28-Feb-24 15:52:30

I make these every week for my husband. Here is the original recipe. I zap the fat and flour in the food processor add the sugar and then the egg. I roll into balls, add jam, and put in the oven, gas 6, for 12 minutes.

62Granny Wed 28-Feb-24 15:58:24

Whiff

They look great, Whiff, just how I remember them looking from my schools days😂 I haven't made mine yet. Trying to loose a few pounds, but next time my DD and GS visit I will definitely be making them.

Shelflife Wed 28-Feb-24 16:17:01

Thanks Whiff , just put of the oven -
Takes me back to school days !

Shelflife Wed 28-Feb-24 16:17:25

Out!!

CanadianGran Wed 28-Feb-24 18:28:04

I haven't made these before, but will soon!

Marydoll Wed 28-Feb-24 18:33:48

Oldnproud

Whiff

Those look like what I know as Melting Moments, though for those the little balls of
dough are rolled in oats before making the hole for the jam. I think it was a Bero recipe.

It is Bero recipe and I roll them in coconut. Delicious!

Whiff Thu 29-Feb-24 16:14:41

Melting moments this is the old recipe
5oz SR flour
3oz white sugar
2+ half oz margarine
1+ half oz lard
Half an egg
I teaspoon vanilla essence
Dessicated coconut
Glace cherries
Oven 180°c
Cream margarine,lard and sugar together.
Beat in egg and vanilla essence.
Stir in flour
Divide into 40 balls and roll in coconut.
Place on trays flatten slightly place quarter of piece of place cherry.
Bake 15-20 mins .

Use damp hands to roll balls .

Oldnproud Thu 29-Feb-24 16:54:23

Whiff

Melting moments this is the old recipe
5oz SR flour
3oz white sugar
2+ half oz margarine
1+ half oz lard
Half an egg
I teaspoon vanilla essence
Dessicated coconut
Glace cherries
Oven 180°c
Cream margarine,lard and sugar together.
Beat in egg and vanilla essence.
Stir in flour
Divide into 40 balls and roll in coconut.
Place on trays flatten slightly place quarter of piece of place cherry.
Bake 15-20 mins .

Use damp hands to roll balls .

That is interesting. I wonder if it was my mum or my grandma who decided to use oats instead of coconut to roll the dough in. I'm quite surprised, as they both regularly used coconut in other recipes.

You don't see many recipes now that use lard, do you - I usually use all margarine in my melting moments nowadays, but to me they really do taste better on the odd occasion that I still use lard. ☺

Whiff Fri 01-Mar-24 10:08:48

That's the old recipe for melting moments new recipes use butter or spread not lard.

But a mix of margarine and lard always made the best pastry.

Anyone remember Lardy cakes ? They where square from the bakery the layers of dough spread with lard and dried fruit and sugar . The tops where golden brown and crispy and the bottoms where crispy and very greasy but they tasted delicious.

Jellybaby71011 Fri 01-Mar-24 12:57:38

Thanks everyone for this thread.
Brought back so many memories. Of making these in school and for my mum and dad as a teenager.
Salti’s photo of the old recipe was especially poignant as I wish I had my mother’s recipes with her writing on.
I have been suddenly overwhelmed with grief this morning as this will be my first Mother’s Day without her.
Made the buns this morning and hope that salty tears don’t spoil the taste!

Whiff Fri 01-Mar-24 13:58:02

Jellybaby firsts where grief is concerned is always hard. Salty tears will make them taste better. A tribute to your mom.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 01-Mar-24 14:16:55

My mother died in March 28 years ago and I can still feel tearful. I use a lot of her kitchen things and wooden pegs and will pass on to my daughters. Nice to feel I am touching things she touched. Sadly I haven't got her presuure cooker marmalade recipe but then I no longer have a pressure cooker.
The buns look lovely. I could just eat one now.

Whiff Sat 02-Mar-24 07:07:27

HelterSkelter1 if you want my orange marmalade recipe I will post it on Whiffs recipes. Already posted my lemon one there . It's not just for my recipes but after posting on the gingerbread/ Parkin thread. I posted some of my recipes and was asked to start a thread. I am disabled but do things my way not usual way but people seem to like them .