Gransnet forums

Food

Bored With Eating

(117 Posts)
Mel1967 Sat 23-Mar-24 22:01:54

Does anyone else get bored with eating or is it just me??
I cooked dinner tonight, normally my favourite, and just picked at it and ended up throwing it away.
This isn’t a new thing.
I find food boring and is just something I have to do.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 23-Mar-24 22:12:19

I don't find it boring, but I never feel hungry like I used to years ago. Thinking of what to buy and cook is a chore after so many years. DH is unwell and has a very poor appetite and I think that has taken any fun out of eating.

MayBee70 Sat 23-Mar-24 22:18:59

Not actually bored with eating but I’ve never liked cooking. At the moment I’m happily living on sandwiches with either chicken, cheese or eggs and lots of salad. I take various vitamins every day. When the weather gets warmer I don’t eat as much. Mind you it didn't stay warm for long. I really fancied a cheese and onion sandwich the other day after something I read reminded me of a social event I used to go to that provided cheese and onion cobs and I really enjoyed it!

crazyH Sat 23-Mar-24 22:19:31

No - I’m bored with cooking though - I live on my own, so it’s not much fun anymore.

M0nica Sat 23-Mar-24 22:23:08

I could never get bored with eating. I have always loved food and still clip and try out recipes and have done that even when on my own.

I am not talking consuming about large quantities of food but just enjoying flavour, texture, new foods, new cuisines

BlueBelle Sat 23-Mar-24 22:23:36

CrazyH I’ve never liked cooking but obviously did it but since living alone (many years) I hate it and make the easiest stuff possible because I do like eating

flappergirl Sat 23-Mar-24 22:24:41

Yes, I know what you mean OP. I get hungry but rarely really fancy anything like I used to. It's got worse since being widowed because there's no incentive to produce a tasty meal. I wander around Waitrose or M & S, where there's no shortage of tasty treats, but walk out with a bread roll and some cheese or hummus. I think it's partly because I just can't be bothered but also because nothing seems to taste as delicious as it used to.

henetha Sat 23-Mar-24 23:28:29

Me too. I rarely feel really hungry.
I cook less these days and often just have an egg or something. Having said that, I did make a nice pork casserole this week, enough for three days. I do make an effort now and then.

fancythat Sun 24-Mar-24 07:02:38

I go through stages of getting bored with eating various things.
A couple of weeks ago, it was breakfasts. Had a look at what others eat, and thought of a couple of ways around things to improve matters.

Last week it was vegetables. Looked at the various ways of eating them, and decided to add some flavour to them, one way or another.

One year it was potatoes. That was the worst. Went on for months. Eventually I realised, it wasnt potatoes as such, it was the variety I had been buying for quite some time.

fancythat Sun 24-Mar-24 07:05:17

DH and I are eating less meat. Dont even know why. We like meat. But are just not so into it was we were. Perhaps that will change back again at some point.

Bonnybanko Sun 24-Mar-24 07:17:01

Don’t know what happened to my brain after my stroke but I never get bored of eating, in fact I enjoy my food more than ever especially the fish fingers, chips and curry sauce I had yesterday I think I’ll have the steak pie I’ve got in the fridge for todays dinner with M&S new potatoes, gravy and vegetables yum yum

downtoearth Sun 24-Mar-24 07:29:31

I enjoy food if someone else cooks it,unfortunately that happens very rarely.

I do eat lots of fruit and salad, and veg quick to grab,easy to prepare,with an omelette or salmon or cold meat,jacket potatoes beans.

Bread is not my friend unfortunately ,although I would love to eat a sandwich,I bloat and get indigestion.

I can always cope well with a sharing bag of S&V crisps.

Georgesgran Sun 24-Mar-24 08:12:48

I can so relate with all the previous posters. When DH was alive, we had a routine and at 6pm, he’d watch the news and I’d hit the kitchen, pour some wine and prepare a delicious meal. Now on my own, my most used appliance is the kettle! Cups of tea and caramel wafers seem to suffice most days, with the odd M&S delicacy thrown in. I made a fish and fennel thing last week - it just seemed a faff for one though.

M0nica Sun 24-Mar-24 08:21:24

downtoearth Try finding a proper baker who makes bread the old fashioned way, no additives of any kinds and slow proving and preparation. You may find that digestable in the way industrial produced bread, with lots of additives to make it prove fast and then steam cooked isn't.

As a child I loved bread but as an adult - and with the development of industrial bread - although I was unaware of the link at the time, I lost interest in it. Then 30 years ago we moved to our present location where we had a wonderful .'real' baker, and my enjoyment of bread returned with the first slice from on eof his loafs.

Now I find supermarket bread distasteful and I also find I have to eat it in tiny mouthfuls otherwise it turns into balls of a clay like paste that sticks in my thread and chokes me.

Baggs Sun 24-Mar-24 08:51:30

Perhaps have fewer meals and make them small and easy so that you are just regarding them as fuel rather than something to take pleasure in.

If you are throwing good food away you obviously don't need it was my first thought, which I'm putting down not to be harsh, just honest.

Stay well and focus on something other than food. flowers

Primrose53 Sun 24-Mar-24 09:17:03

I am eating less than I did some years ago. I enjoy cooking and my family all love their food but yes, I do sometimes feel a bit bored. I cook all sorts of things and try new recipes and I look at meals people have made online but actually some make me feel a bit icky.

I often say if I lived alone I would only eat when I was hungry and it would be very simple food. Maybe cheese, eggs, fish with salad or seasonal veg.

Mel1967 Sun 24-Mar-24 09:29:33

Baggs

Perhaps have fewer meals and make them small and easy so that you are just regarding them as fuel rather than something to take pleasure in.

If you are throwing good food away you obviously don't need it was my first thought, which I'm putting down not to be harsh, just honest.

Stay well and focus on something other than food. flowers

Many thanks for your reply.

I’m certainly not throwing food away - that’s not something I would do.
I do have a husband to cook for or vice versa - but isn’t always the easiest as never sure what he fancies to eat.
It would be so much easier to just take a Willy Wonka style pill!!!!

Sago Sun 24-Mar-24 09:32:33

How sad to hear of such a lack of interest in food and cooking.
I appreciate that when you’re on your own it’s harder.
I am luck that both myself and my husband adore food and I adore cooking.
Yesterday our son and daughter in law came to stay and leave their dog as they’re going on holiday.
Lunch was homemade soup, pate and sourdough.
Dinner was beautiful rare roast beef and Yorkshire puddings.
It was so lovely to have them to cook for.

Baggs Sun 24-Mar-24 09:33:19

just picked at it and ended up throwing it away.

Quote from your OP, Mel1967.

Lomo123 Sun 24-Mar-24 09:39:42

It's all the endless cookery programmes on tv too. It always seems such a bother and effort to go to for something that is eaten in about 10 minutes max. I used to enjoy cooking, nothing fancy basic family meals and the occasional sponge when family were at home, nowadays quite happy with a ping meal from Marks or a sandwich.

Mel1967 Sun 24-Mar-24 09:42:17

Baggs

*just picked at it and ended up throwing it away.*

Quote from your OP, Mel1967.

Apologies I should have made myself clearer.
I was thinking throwing away uncooked food.
Yes I did pick at last nights meal and then throw it away.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 24-Mar-24 09:47:16

Why don’t you just cook less? There’s no difference between throwing away cooked and uncooked food - both are waste.

downtoearth Sun 24-Mar-24 10:44:54

Thankyou Monica we do have an artisan baker,but even that is difficult to digest,I havent eaten bread for around 25 years.

I now live alone and get no food waste as I only buy what I need,and want,easy to prepare but healthy as I follow slimming world way of eating,this seems to suit me as it also keeps me at a steady weight.

Plenty of fruit and veg,some easily cooked and prepared lean protein, eggs,but being human I do fall off the wagon,its a way of life not a prison sentence,as I do become jaded and bored with that at times.

I really would love to have a live in chef to shop cook clean and prep,but would probably tire of that too, fickle I 🤔 think🤣

Dottydots Sun 24-Mar-24 10:52:26

I've lived on my own for over 40 years now and always enjoyed cooking. However, like some of you, I just can't be be bothered most days to produce a good meal for myself. I am lucky that my man friend treats me to a carvery most Sundays.

Mel1967 Sun 24-Mar-24 10:54:20

Germanshepherdsmum

Why don’t you just cook less? There’s no difference between throwing away cooked and uncooked food - both are waste.

Thanks for your reply.
My original post was asking if anyone else gets or is bored with eating?
Not the actual cooking of it.
I do realise that throwing away cooked or uncooked food is wasteful.
I’m quite aware of portion control and only ever cook as much as we need 😊