Gransnet forums

Food

Tea Talk!

(42 Posts)
TerriBull Thu 17-Jun-21 12:36:10

Not really food, but close!

I was always far more of a coffee drinker and still need at least 3 cups of fairly strong coffee a.m. to get me going.

Of late, I'm liking tea more and more, it's definitely my favoured after noon drink these days. I think I'm becoming my mother, it always slightly irritated me when the older generation of relatives arrived at ours just before I was about to serve a sit down lunch and declare they were parched and in dire need of a pot of tea, or allegedly they would expire if that wasn't forthcoming. I never got that then, I do now grin

Yesterday we were driving around the glorious Sussex countryside and stopped in the beautiful village of Alfriston, We ordered scones and a pot of tea, I plumped for Darjeeling, loose leaves...........I don't think I'd had it before and what followed was one of those "how did I live without this for so long?" moments.

Tea how do you take yours? do you have a favourite type? or are you an avowed coffee person?

shysal Thu 17-Jun-21 13:00:03

I don't like any tea, coffee or alcohol. I only drink tap water. I am a cheap date! smile

greenlady102 Thu 17-Jun-21 13:12:33

oh yes! when i was a young teen, the Indian Tea Council used to have a shop in Oxford or Regent street witha cafe in it. They were there to promote the tea so the food was really cheap. I remember going in there alone aged about 13 and ordering a prawn sandwich and a pot of darjeeling....magical moment. I always take milk with it, sometimes a little sugar, sometimes not...and I am even picky about the brand, Twinings please.

MiniMoon Thu 17-Jun-21 13:18:25

A cup of tea please. Reasonably strong, with a little milk.
I like Yorkshire tea best.

Tizliz Thu 17-Jun-21 13:19:08

Twinings one third breakfast and two thirds Assam tea. Two mugs in the morning to get going, no coffee ever.

Redhead56 Thu 17-Jun-21 13:23:53

Breakfast tea for me big mug with long life sterilised milk two sugars. I love it no other way to drink it. I also like fruit or fresh mint teas nice and refreshing on a summer's day.

hazel93 Thu 17-Jun-21 13:35:01

Family are well aware do not call, text, breathe until I have had my first pot of tea in the morning.
Orange Pekoe or Queen Marys' when feeling indulgent but quite happy with PG tips .
Has to be builders tea whichever and def. no sugar.

TerriBull Thu 17-Jun-21 13:41:10

I do like Yorkshire tea....but I'm going to have to get some Darjeeling now! Skimmed milk which I tend to use all the time in coffee is a bit of a no! no! in tea...........I didn't realise that until a friend who stayed with us a number of times arrived with semi skimmed, I wondered why, it was our devotion to skimmed milk, now I realise that tea does need milk with at least a modicum of fat. I like my tea out of a nice china cup, that also enhances the flavour imo, or maybe that's all in the mind!

timetogo2016 Thu 17-Jun-21 13:50:05

Tea all day long,Tetleys/PGTips/and any good makes on offer.
I do like Green Tea and Pukka night time tea mainly in the summer.
I don`t like coffee much at all.

tanith Thu 17-Jun-21 14:10:51

I drink plain old breakfast tea strong splash of semi skimmed no sugar, I've tried to like Darjeeling, earl grey, green but they just aren't for me, coffee once or twice a week.

Parsley3 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:39:44

Loose leaf breakfast tea for me in my little teapot and one cup of freshly ground filter coffee per day. I don’t drink instant coffee.

aggie Thu 17-Jun-21 14:53:08

Loose leaf tea is my fav , I use Punjana when I can get it !

TerriBull Thu 17-Jun-21 14:54:50

I don't drink instant coffee either, I once thought people who said that were snotty now I'm one of them, instant coffee which I drank once, doesn't do it for me anymore it's a waste of electricity, water, milk, calories and the granules. Moved on from it some years ago!

3nanny6 Thu 17-Jun-21 15:05:17

Me it is tea all the time. Cannot touch coffee do not like the taste
I go for P.G. Tips slightly strong with semi skimmed milk.
I cannot talk to anyone in the morning until I have my first mug of tea once I have the tea I am all smiles.
I love my tea but these days have cut down and only drink three mugs a day. Two in the morning and one about 4.30pm.

Greyduster Thu 17-Jun-21 15:31:30

I can’t drink tea with milk in (it’s the only thing my MiL and I ever had in common) - it makes me sick - but I don’t have the same problem with coffee and can drink milk on its own. My favourite tea is Tick Tock Rooibos, closely followed by Pukka Lemon, Ginger and Manuka Honey, of which I have enough to open a shop since telling DD that I liked it!! Shalln’t make that mistake again!?

Shelflife Thu 17-Jun-21 15:55:46

Tick tock Rooibos every time for me too. It's not decaffeinated but caffeine free- there is a difference! Also pop fresh mint from the garden into hot water , leave a few minutes before tasting a refreshing tea . Also good with a drop of lemon juice in.

toscalily Thu 17-Jun-21 16:01:14

We have PG Tips or Yorkshire as that is all OH will drink. I must have one of those in a big mug, semi-skimmed milk (not full fat or skimmed ) and no sugar for me or I just can't get going in the morning. At other times I enjoy, Assam or Earl Grey, Rooibos only, after about 5 as it has no caffeine Occasionally I enjoy a Peppermint tea or a Dr Stuarts night time tea before bed. If I have a coffee mid-morning has to be the real stuff.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 16:10:38

I like to have lots of variety as I choose teas each time I’m making a pot on a whim/fancy.
All but a Lapsang Souchon in our home is loose tea.

Currently we have lots of herb/green/white teas and these black ones:

Irish Breakfast
English Breakfast
Darjeeling
Royal Blend
Afternoon
Yunan
Earl Grey
A variety of Broken Orange Pekoe
Fortmason
Peach Tea
Spiced Tea
Black Vanilla
and a sample of Rose & Bergamot

Because I like to mix and match we mostly have small quantities of each with the exception of the two breakfasts and the afternoon blend. I feel so lucky to have this amazing luxury of tea choice and it brings me a lot of pleasure. My family often bring be unusual teas as gifts as well so that’s nice.
I’m conscious of the ethical issues around tea and have been changing where I buy it if I can’t get clear information from the “manufacturer” or tea house.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 16:13:27

Gosh! What an idiot I sound! shock
Apologies! Just don’t get me started on tea.

TerriBull Thu 17-Jun-21 16:22:48

NotSpaghetti

Gosh! What an idiot I sound! shock
Apologies! Just don’t get me started on tea.

Not at all! This is Tea Talk, so talk away grin

OnwardandUpward Thu 17-Jun-21 16:25:25

I like black earl grey in the afternoon

AGAA4 Thu 17-Jun-21 16:31:36

My first and last drink of the day is a cup of Yorkshire Tea.

moggie57 Thu 17-Jun-21 16:40:16

me too .tap water is the best . i gone off coffee and tea tastes yukky ,they done something to pg tips .

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 16:49:27

Spelling correction *souchong

MaizieD Thu 17-Jun-21 17:04:17

After several attempts to try to like it I gave up on coffee.

Earl Grey tea all day long, weak, black no sugar.

I do like Lapsang Souchong but don't have it very often.

DP drinks PG tips