Gransnet forums

Games

Monday: Miss Marydoll's, Marvellous, Matharathonic, Maths, Malarkey.

(87 Posts)
Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 09:54:06

Good Morning class, here is today's teaser.
I have posted this three times and lost it! In more ways than one. grin

As usual, please don't post the answers, so as not to spoil it for others. You can PM me if you want to confirm that you are the class swot or not! wink
Good luck!!!

Five thieves were in a tavern and overheard a drunken shopkeeper bragging about his large collection of diamonds. Later that night, one of the thieves broke into the shop. He had a bit of a conscience (as far as thieves go) and only took half of the diamonds. But on his way out, he decided to take one more. After all, he was a thief. A while later, the second thief arrived. It was a night of odd coincidences. He also took half of the remaining diamonds plus one more. Shortly after, the third thief arrived and likewise took half of the remaining diamonds plus one more. Next, the fourth thief arrived and he as well took half of the remaining diamonds plus one more. Finally, the fifth thief arrived only to find that there were no diamonds left. How many diamonds did the shopkeeper have at the start?

Hint
Work backwards.

Callistemon Mon 27-Apr-20 10:06:57

Please Miss, can I have my tick in the register?

I am here but my boyfriend's waiting in the playground and wants me to go and skip amongst the bluebells, ie do some weeding.

I'll be back later to do my sums, after I've hung out the washing and dusted your classroom.
No-one else does it (sigh)

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 10:18:29

Good morning, Callistemon@ favourite pupil. I will see you later.

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 10:25:50

Morning Miss I got in fore pantglas dus that mean I can be register monitor today ?

gillybob Mon 27-Apr-20 10:33:20

I’m working hard MissDoll it’s a tricky one today and I’ve run out of fingers and toes. smile

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 10:39:02

Here gilly bowow mine then we can do it tween us. ?

gillybob Mon 27-Apr-20 10:42:18

I think I’ve got in now . Will send a PM .

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 10:56:20

Miss Miss I done it. Am I first. Do I go to top class if I rite.
I won’t tell but wait to see if I rite later. ?
P.S miss I din get my boy fren to help I did it by my own.

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 10:57:04

gillybob you just beatted me.

gillybob Mon 27-Apr-20 10:58:47

I might’ve beated you Doodle but mine cud be rong hmm

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 11:03:25

No I don fink so. We boff used fingers and toes. Must be rite.?

Bathsheba Mon 27-Apr-20 11:03:41

Sorry I’m late Miss, I thought it was Sunday ?. I’ve worked it out and will I’m you ?

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 11:04:42

Don’t you dare IM miss bathsheba that’s rude ?

Gemini17892 Mon 27-Apr-20 11:17:40

Oh dear Mary doll. This took me right back to when I was 11 and on Friday mornings we did ‘ problems ‘. I just couldn’t grasp it and teacher thought I was messing about so he said to go in the back of the classroom and write a story. That usually shut me up.
Funnily enough at high school once we learned algebra I managed better. Letters you see. Not numbers.
And when I passed o level maths my teacher was amazed. So was I !
Right I’ll have a go at this one now.
Glad you’re feeling better by the way.

Pantglas2 Mon 27-Apr-20 11:45:46

I’m here! Been bizee polishin my bajs and Miss apple ? an checcin fo wyrms- she don’t like ? doesn’t Miss, she as a fobia bout em!

I av PMd Miss (I wudden dweam of IM her like wot sum of you do) wid the crect ansa an she’ll be long shotly to give me nother baj wit I’m dservin.......

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 11:50:33

Alors, mes petites enfants, Gillybob and Bathsheba have surpassed themselves. Go to the top of the class.
?? and as it's a nice day here, ??

Now, as an extra reward, I'm going to give you even more work! ?

This should keep you out of mischief. wink

Two brothers (Milo and Noah) lived together and shared two things in common; they were both short and they were both very forgetful. After having misplaced/lost the key to their apartment on several occasions, they decided that instead of bringing the key with them, they would instead hide the key on top of the door frame.

Unfortunately, neither Milo nor Noah were tall enough to reach the top of the door frame. So they devised a system. The older brother, Milo, stood on the shoulders of his younger brother, Noah and was able to just reach the top of the door frame (and the hiding spot for their key). Noah was significantly smaller than his older brother, so why would the bigger, older brother stand on the smaller, younger brother's shoulders?

Note: this is not a trick question (it's not because the older brother was mean or because the younger brother was in a wheelchair or didn't have any arms).^

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 11:52:48

Pantglas, I'm crying tears of joy, reading your PM.?
Unfortunately, someone ate your ice cream. sad

Pantglas2 Mon 27-Apr-20 11:59:14

Ooh ? no! An I woz all exited thinking I woz avin my reeword swell as my new baj!

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 12:00:07

Please ignore this post, class. I'm trying to help someone on GN with an IT problem and using this thread, as I need somewhere to post.

Puzzler61 Mon 27-Apr-20 12:08:11

Doz it help if you have a criminal record to do this one Miss? Cos I can’t do it - I’m stumped and scratching me ‘ead.

Puzzler61 Mon 27-Apr-20 12:09:44

I’ll ‘ave a go at the Noah and Milo one now ‘though I don’t know either of ‘em. Do they live near you Miss?

Bathsheba Mon 27-Apr-20 12:18:46

Don’t you dare IM miss bathsheba that’s rude

Haha, oops! Will pm you is what it should have said. I would never, ever be rude to our lovely Miss Doll smile

Hermia46 Mon 27-Apr-20 12:19:06

Oops sorry thought this was the IT thread... confused

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 12:20:50

Puzzler, they are ex pupils of mine. I know them very well and hope they don't appear in this class. They will wreak havoc, if they sit near Doodle! ?

Try and work backwards from the answer I gave. Instead of subracting the diamonds, start at zero and add.

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 12:22:23

Hermia it worked! grin. An apple for the teacher, actually I prefer chocolate!?

I'm sick of this healthy eating lark!