Gransnet forums

Games

Monday: Miss Marydoll's, Marvellous, Matharathonic, Maths, Malarkey.

(88 Posts)
Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 09:54:06

Good Morning class, here is today's teaser.
I have posted this three times and lost it! In more ways than one. grin

As usual, please don't post the answers, so as not to spoil it for others. You can PM me if you want to confirm that you are the class swot or not! wink
Good luck!!!

Five thieves were in a tavern and overheard a drunken shopkeeper bragging about his large collection of diamonds. Later that night, one of the thieves broke into the shop. He had a bit of a conscience (as far as thieves go) and only took half of the diamonds. But on his way out, he decided to take one more. After all, he was a thief. A while later, the second thief arrived. It was a night of odd coincidences. He also took half of the remaining diamonds plus one more. Shortly after, the third thief arrived and likewise took half of the remaining diamonds plus one more. Next, the fourth thief arrived and he as well took half of the remaining diamonds plus one more. Finally, the fifth thief arrived only to find that there were no diamonds left. How many diamonds did the shopkeeper have at the start?

Hint
Work backwards.

gillybob Mon 27-Apr-20 12:24:09

I fink we mite all need a spellin lessun . MissDoll .

You cud post summing like how do you spell byootiful and we will copy . smile

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 12:26:25

Well, my IT lesson was successful. At this rate I will be back working full time! wink

Gilly, you are one of my good girls, keep up the good work. ?

trisher Mon 27-Apr-20 12:30:53

Miss I've been off for a few days do I need a note?

Hermia46 Mon 27-Apr-20 12:36:17

smile thanks

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 12:38:17

trisher, you don't certainly don't need a note. The school were contacted by the police, as you were caught sunbathing in the park with those nasty grammar school boys!
Consorting with BOYS and breaking the Covid guidlines. You HUSSY!
We have photographic evidence, but it is so shocking, I can't post it. ?

trisher Mon 27-Apr-20 12:43:11

Miss I told the rozzers coppers pigs police (phew) the boys were helping me with my Shakespeare an' I was just doing the balcony scene an that's why I'd taken my top off cos it was bedtime. I wasn't sunbathing.

Pantglas2 Mon 27-Apr-20 12:46:21

Tole you Miss that trisher was misbeeavin wiv BOYS cos I sore her snogging an fings.....? wunt sprys me if she’s pregernent woteva that meens.....is it summat catsndogs get? I’ve herd bout ‘pregernent paws’ so myst be that!

Bathsheba Mon 27-Apr-20 12:53:03

I think I've worked out the Noah and Milo one Miss. I've pm'd you my reasoning.

trisher Mon 27-Apr-20 12:57:49

Pantglas2 corse you don't know Shakespeare ther's a lot off kissin in it. An I know now you don't get Babies threw kissing. I learned that in *Miss Marydoll's*class!

Bathsheba Mon 27-Apr-20 13:41:28

trisher's right Pantglas. You have to sit on a toilet seat after a boy's sat on it to get a baby. I thought everyone knew that!!!

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 13:50:33

puzzler if youse scratching your hed you might have got pantglas’ nits ?. ..... I bet she got a nit baj too ?
trisher woz they nice boys ?
Please Miss I tol my boy fren your Milo Noah question and e got the anser strate away. He vewy clevr Miss ?

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 13:52:25

Bathsheba and Doodle, star pupils.
??
I knew you wouldn't let me down. ?

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 13:52:47

bathsheba I fink yor clevr like my boy fren but I don’t fink you know where babies cum from. I no fro certin that the stork bring them. ?

Puzzler61 Mon 27-Apr-20 14:33:13

I pm’d you Miss (about Noah & his bruv). But still scratching my ‘ead about those thieves...
Might need to go and av’ a lie down soon, give my brain a rest ?

Pantglas2 Mon 27-Apr-20 14:44:35

Ooh Doodle youse castin them sturtiams gain!

I avent got nits nor a baj forem - wot I ave got is a Nitty Nora’s No 1 Sistant stificate an a komb for the klass if sumone gets em!

I’m not doin the second teezer til I get my eyescweam back ....I’ve got my sulkin ed on just like Furzel Rummage!

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 14:48:29

Puzzler, not quite there, yet. You are on the right track.
There is a wee bit more to it.
?

trisher Mon 27-Apr-20 15:07:09

Doodle the boys from the grammer school are very nice and very intelaj intellij clever. They know lots of things like books an plays. They are doin Shakespeer with me now, an all the kissin bits. They want to do somebody calls Deeate Lawrinse next. They don't like mafs

Bathsheba Mon 27-Apr-20 15:11:12

Pantglas Miss told you ages and ages ago that someone ate your ice cream ?. And anyway, even if they hadn't, it would all be melted by now ?

P.S. I know who ate it but I'm not telling. it wasn't me

JoyBloggs Mon 27-Apr-20 15:17:27

PMd the first one, took me a while, I should have been ironing... so will try to work the second one out while I tackle the laundry!

JMarion Mon 27-Apr-20 15:25:04

He had longer arms and could reach better.

Pantglas2 Mon 27-Apr-20 15:27:13

I knowd it wudda melted Bathsheba but mine woz a 99 coz I is speshul an I cudda joyed that cuddn I! I ope the greedee ? wot nicked it spens the affernwn bein sic ? !

Callistemon Mon 27-Apr-20 15:27:20

Watch out for them grammar skool boys.
Their trouble with a capital T

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 15:41:44

Got your PMs, Callistemon and Joy Bloggs. Thanks!

Joy ?
Callistemon, second part correct,? sorry about the first.
I won't comment on your answer until later. We try to let others have chance. ?

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 15:43:48

Farmor, ? Well done!

Farmor15 Mon 27-Apr-20 15:50:52

I’m very impressed with this teacher who corrects the homework so quickly?