Gransnet forums

Games

Monday: Miss Marydoll's, Marvellous, Matharathonic, Maths, Malarkey.

(88 Posts)
Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 09:54:06

Good Morning class, here is today's teaser.
I have posted this three times and lost it! In more ways than one. grin

As usual, please don't post the answers, so as not to spoil it for others. You can PM me if you want to confirm that you are the class swot or not! wink
Good luck!!!

Five thieves were in a tavern and overheard a drunken shopkeeper bragging about his large collection of diamonds. Later that night, one of the thieves broke into the shop. He had a bit of a conscience (as far as thieves go) and only took half of the diamonds. But on his way out, he decided to take one more. After all, he was a thief. A while later, the second thief arrived. It was a night of odd coincidences. He also took half of the remaining diamonds plus one more. Shortly after, the third thief arrived and likewise took half of the remaining diamonds plus one more. Next, the fourth thief arrived and he as well took half of the remaining diamonds plus one more. Finally, the fifth thief arrived only to find that there were no diamonds left. How many diamonds did the shopkeeper have at the start?

Hint
Work backwards.

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 16:01:30

I cannot shake off my past life and having an HT who was never off our back! ?
He did spot checks on the homework jotters.

trisher Mon 27-Apr-20 16:38:36

Callistemon the grammer school boys are very nice and they share their sweeties when I get the kissin right. You can come an practis if you like.
Miss if I PM you with the right ansa do you give sweeties?

Pantglas2 Mon 27-Apr-20 16:45:02

Miss! Miss! Trisher is bein grwmmed! An she’s courijin Callistemon swell! Shall I cawl Chylelyne and their antisoshul shirkers?

trisher Mon 27-Apr-20 16:51:19

Pantglas2 my mum says a girl shud always be well-groomd.

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 18:12:13

Joy, another correct answer!?

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 18:13:05

I will post the answers in an hour.

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 18:36:07

Hello JMarion welcome to class. We don’t post the answers so others can have a go. As you’re new you wouldn’t know that so it doesn’t matter. We either PM Miss Doll or we wait till she gives the answers later. Nice of you to join us.?

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 18:37:11

miss I fink you might won’t to wefink me bein the norty one ?

trisher Mon 27-Apr-20 18:42:32

Miss I wont be here in an hour. Ive got to do sum Shakespeer. I'm just going to the loo. Doodle Ive got lippy and masker maskr eye stuff want sum?

Callistemon Mon 27-Apr-20 18:48:55

Pantglas was that post in Welsh?

Sorry, I can only say LlanfairPG

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 18:52:31

Miss wot’s snogging an ow does Pantglas know bout it??

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 18:59:13

Cor yes trisher I fink I might like Shakespeer too. carillion you can cum wiv us pantglas finks trisher is Ledin you a stray ?

littleflo Mon 27-Apr-20 19:12:19

Waiting with baited breathp

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 19:14:31

We all is littleflo ?

trisher Mon 27-Apr-20 19:15:43

Lippy and stuff in the loo. Meetin the grammer school boys to do Shakespeer. whos cumin.

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 19:34:18

Evening Class, the school server packed up and we have had no internet.

I suspect it's those boys, you lot sneaked in. There are some dodgy sites in the browsing history! blush ?

Er, who is littleflo? Are you from that posh school down the road? ?

Five thieves

ANSWER: 30.

EXPLANATION: The trick is to work backwards. There were 0 diamonds left when the fifth thief arrived. So that is how many diamonds remained after the fourth thief looted. Calculate the number of diamonds that were there before the fourth thief looted using: d - (d/2 + 1) = 0. Use this same equation for the other thieves changing the 0 to the number of diamonds present when the subsequent/later thief arrived.

Door key
ANSWER: Milo was TALLER and therefore had longer arms. Had the shorter brother, Noah, stood on the shoulders of the taller brother, Milo, he would not have been able to reach the top of the doorframe

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 19:46:29

CraftyGranny, you get the citizenship award for being the kindest girl in school!

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 20:14:06

Er Miss scuse me but there is no craftygranny in skol unless I missed er ?. An Miss I fink you’ll fin I’ve bin quite kind. Felin urt now ?. An Miss I got bof sums rite even if my boy fren did one.

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 20:16:57

Oy pantglas miss as got anover favrite an is not you. An wots more it sum one who don even cum to skol. ?

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 20:23:43

Doodle, CraftyGranny sent me a note to tell me, she was busy on her sewing machine and would be late, but she did give me her answer.

Don't be upset, you know you are all my favourite, faithful pupils. ?

JoyBloggs Mon 27-Apr-20 20:40:57

Thanks, Miss, good to do a few sums while locked up, and you're a very kindly teacher marking our answers so quickly!

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 21:06:07

Miss are we all aloud to stay in bed at home an not cum into skul. ?

Doodle Mon 27-Apr-20 21:09:04

craftyGranny welcum to Miss Doll’s skul. Watch out for pantglas she’ll want yor kindestest girl in skul baj ?

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 21:14:58

Doodle pet, of course you can! You will anyway, nothing I say will make any difference!??

CraftyGranny Mon 27-Apr-20 22:23:04

Thanks Doodle for the welcome. I mean fanks fer de welcum, is dat be'er, and Pantglas can go and run, she aint getin me baj, so ther.

Fank you Miss for me tificate.