Gransnet forums

Games

Tuesday: Miss MaryDoll’s Tricky, Tantalising, Tortuous, Teaser.

(89 Posts)
Marydoll Tue 28-Apr-20 09:21:07

Good morning class, here we are again, happy as can be, well as happy as we can in the circumstances.

Please DO NOT your answers, this allows others to have go. If you are keen to know if you got it correct, feel free to PM me.

Sorry the image is a bit skew-whiff.

Can you find the smallest possible number that is divisible by fifteen, which contains only ones and zeroes (e.g: 10, 11, 100)
You do not need a calculator to solve it, but a piece of paper would be helpful.

Good luck!

Doodle Tue 28-Apr-20 18:54:34

Wot! Us miss we’ve been so gud. We welcum new ones. Dun our wk and polished r desks. Are we in detenshun Miss??

Marydoll Tue 28-Apr-20 19:00:50

Here are the solutions. I have tried to keep up with the PMs, but lost the plot somewhere in the afternoon.

willa we missed you. I tried to send you a PM, but you have seemed to have blocked PMs. It may be an idea to go to your INBOX and check your settings.
willa ?
Mary51 ?
CraftyGranny ? for the second one.

ANSWER: 1,110.

EXPLANATION: Because the number is divisible by 15, it must also be divisible by 3 and 5 (since 15 is divisible by 3 and 5). If the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 3, then the number itself is divisible by 3 (this is a clever little math trick/shortcut). The number therefore must contain three ones, six ones, etc. Since the number is divisible by 5, we know that it must end in a 0 (numbers that are divisible by 5 end in a 0 or a 5). The first number that contains three ones and ends in a 0 is 1,110.

ANSWER: The woman couldn't sleep because her next door neighbour was snoring.

EXPLANATION: When she called, it woke him up, stopped his snoring, and let her fall asleep.

Thank you all for being such good sports. I need some paracetamol, I can't understand all those posts in aforegn language. wink.

Marydoll Tue 28-Apr-20 19:02:00

Foreign, should have previewed. You are corrupting ME now!

gillybob Tue 28-Apr-20 19:49:53

I donut speek forin . I speek proppa Jordy !

Blummin never fort bout the nayber snorin’ grin

gillybob Tue 28-Apr-20 19:50:55

Soopa Doopa fanks for the fun Miss Doll smile

willa45 Tue 28-Apr-20 20:01:47

Love your pseudo rants, Marydoll! Didn't understand a word at first, but even before I read the translation, I had the gist....(not bad for a Sassenach eh?!). grin

Marydoll Tue 28-Apr-20 20:22:17

It's Parliamo Glesca at it's very best.

You can take the girl out of Glasgow, but you can't take Glasgow out of the girl. wink

Callistemon Tue 28-Apr-20 23:29:34

willa that sounds as if you had a very busy time.

But you can't pull the wool over my eyes, I saw you lurking behind the bike sheds with them grammer school boys.
I won't tell Miss though.
And you weren't wearing no mask neither.

Callistemon Tue 28-Apr-20 23:33:21

And you weren't social distancing from that boy, that one in Y9.

willa45 Wed 29-Apr-20 03:37:43

Callistemon, you don't scare me...so there! I took it off to blow my nose and were no grammir school boys anywhere by that shed neither I have a stick of bubble gum I was going to share, but if you want to be a snitch, you can't have any.

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 10:22:18

I wont tell, Miss, I promise.

Don't like bubble gum, can I have a ? instead, please?
Then I reely wont tell.
It's a gobstopper

Puzzler61 Wed 29-Apr-20 10:27:58

I’m a bit topsy turvy today Miss so I’ve dun the 2nd puzzle (well there’s 2 of them) first. I won’t pm you but I think it’s right. I’ll wait for you later to tell us the answers.
I’ll ‘av a go at the first one when I’ve my bottle of milk. Who’s the milk monitor today? Can I be?

Puzzler61 Wed 29-Apr-20 10:31:21

I fast I was posting on Wednesdays Maths thread ! I dunno wot I’ve done ? Where’s it gone ? ? ?