Gardening

Tomato blight

(12 Posts)
Nanadogsbody Mon 27-Aug-12 16:34:20

Can't believe it. My whole tomato crop lost. sad

jeni Mon 27-Aug-12 17:05:29

I've had 6 baby toms. That's all!

Nanadogsbody Mon 27-Aug-12 17:08:05

Had 9 lovely plants, all covered in ripening plum, beefsteak, cherry and ordinary tomatoes. Fine on Saturday, all brown, collapsed and blighted today. Had to throw everything out. Damn this wet summer.

Maniac Mon 27-Aug-12 18:37:01

Tomatoes a disaster this year.Usually 'Sungold 'produce more than I can eat -grown in large Growbags on sunny wall of garage.
In the rainy period the fruits didn't form and growth was slow.Then the very hot dry spell came and shrivelled the leaves.Like jeni I've had 6 baby tom.The plants are the size they normally are in May.
I'm told it will be a poor year for apples as the fruit didn't form due to bad weather.

Butternut Mon 27-Aug-12 18:39:50

Pity to hear about all the tomato blight sad. I daren't tell you how well mine have done. blush

Notsogrand Mon 27-Aug-12 18:46:39

All my tomatoes blighted too, it's so disappointing. I usually blitz and freeze them for pasta sauce, casseroles etc throughout the year. The runner beans aren't brilliant either.

Nanadogsbody Mon 27-Aug-12 20:40:24

Ah well. I've had much worse things happen to me. Pity though.

NfkDumpling Mon 27-Aug-12 21:20:36

Pulled ours up a couple of weeks ago. It started in the beef toms and spread to the others within the week.

Nanadogsbody Fri 31-Aug-12 22:56:33

Just been watching Monty Don on Gardeners' World. Feeling slightly better as he too has lost all his greenhouse tomatoes to blight too.

Ella46 Sat 01-Sep-12 08:43:18

Maniac I have to say that the apples are looking fantastic around here.I don't have any but I've seen lots of healthy looking crops, so fingers crossed!

medic Sun 09-Sep-12 13:30:28

I pulled out Money Maker and Shirley plants at the first sign of blight but I have a wonderful healthy crop of Suttons F1 Sweet Million. I have picked pounds and pounds of these delicious little tomatoes to give to friends and family - really healthy. A packet of 20 seeds cost £2.75 and worth every penny.

Nanadogsbody Sun 09-Sep-12 13:41:40

medic talk about Murphy's Law...this is the first year I've not grown Sweet Million!