Gransnet forums

Gardening

Seed Sowing. YAAAAAAY

(44 Posts)
AlieOxon Tue 04-Feb-14 16:49:04

Galen can you put them in the airing cupboard?

Galen Tue 04-Feb-14 16:40:48

Can anyone answer my query about soaking seeds?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Feb-14 16:31:51

shock Get a man in!

Elegran Tue 04-Feb-14 16:22:46

I have a cold greenhouse with additional ventilation, ever since two panes of glass blew out a year ago. Successfully raised five plants of tomatoes in it last year despite the large area open to the elements. All went well until I went away for a few days and their water reservoir was not big enough. One variety got blossom end rot (but Gardener's Delight did not)

This year I mean to replace the panes early in the season (as soon as it is mild enough to go out there and do it) but I have to buy the glass first. I don't fancy catching a bus and walking home from the bus stop carrying sheets of glass. If I tripped I'd be in a fine mess.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Feb-14 16:00:34

I haven't got a heated greenhouse. Just a potting shed with a sloping glass window over the potting up bench.

Does that let me off the hook for a while? smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Feb-14 15:58:37

Oh, you're all making me feel guilty! Sigh!

Just need the weather to warm up a bit. Or something. hmm

Perhaps the sunshine to last a little bit longer.

MamaCaz Tue 04-Feb-14 15:55:18

I so wish I had a heated greenhouse. I doubt if I will be sowing any seeds before March. Tomatoes are usually the earliest thing I sow nowadays, and they will have to stay inside on my windowsills for months. sad

Scooter58 Tue 04-Feb-14 15:41:14

Merlotgran,I also went out to the Greenhouse today,radio on,can of juice and dog wagging his tail cos we are back in the greenhouse lol.Sowed Black eye Susie and Dahlias to be going on with,some primroses in a hanging basket at front door to bring some colour,oh happy days.

Joelsnan Tue 04-Feb-14 15:30:09

I spent last Sunday afternoon happily browsing around the local garden centre. I came out with loads of seed packets and the intent to sow them ASAP. However, Gardener's Question Time was on the radio as I drove home and was dismayed to hear the Gardener's say not to start sowing seeds for another fortnight. Boohoo what shall I do, wait 2 weeks or rip the packets open like a child with sweeties and sow with gay abandon!

Galen Tue 04-Feb-14 15:28:17

You can never have too many bedding plants. At least I can't. I need hundreds for my garden.

rockgran Tue 04-Feb-14 14:45:25

I've just been out and emptied a few tubs and swept up a bit. DH pulled up a few stray weeds. I feel we have made friends with the garden again. I also started the planning notebook before my DH buys too many bedding plants - again. sunshine

merlotgran Tue 04-Feb-14 14:30:31

Thanks for the moon planting link, aka. I could do with something like that to tell me it's the wrong day to do the hoovering/washing/ironing etc.

I got sidetracked potting up rooted cuttings that have done really well thanks to the mild temps and then I ran out of compost so didn't sow any seeds after all. hmm

merlotgran Tue 04-Feb-14 14:27:09

Oh, I do that as well, jingl grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 04-Feb-14 14:21:15

Shudder!!!

At the original post. shock

Used to do that but now find a walk down to the garden centre once the little plants are in stock, more enjoyable. #lazyoldcodger

Galen Tue 04-Feb-14 12:40:18

Have planted all the seeds that needed planting in January. I still have the Cannas and bananas to plant.
I didn't know bananas had seed?

Also, how do you soak something in lukewarm water for 24 hours? The water goes cold?

You can tell I'm no gardner!

Aka Tue 04-Feb-14 11:59:24

moon planting

Aka Tue 04-Feb-14 11:57:16

Not until the moon is waning surely Merlot shock

Anne58 Tue 04-Feb-14 10:58:45

Enjoy ! smile

merlotgran Tue 04-Feb-14 10:44:48

The sun is shining, it has stopped raining and DH has mended the panes in the greenhouse that were smashed in that horrible storm just before Christmas SO I'm off with my portable radio, large mug of coffee and my cat to make a start on the seeds.

I always feel the gardening year has begun when the first trays of seeds are lined up on the bench. smile sunshine