Gransnet forums

Gardening

Chelsea Flower Show

(38 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 18-May-15 10:09:44

Here it is again. The one week in the year when watching the telly is more important than actually being out in the garden.

We're going to Hyde Hall on Thursday so by the end of the week I should be fully inspired!!

HildaW Tue 19-May-15 17:35:31

Aww Merlot, they do get under your skin don't they?

rubylady Tue 19-May-15 22:58:06

Ok, thanks for telling me about Alan, although he was there as a visitor yesterday along with the Queen.

I think Joe is a bit sharp sometimes but I do like James, and Carol, Rachel, Christine and Monty did look smart today with his tie and flower.

I call Nigel Colin for some reason when he comes on, until I realise I have done it again.

I know, I can't bear the thought of anything happening to my precious doggie. Maybe I should get a puppy as well so that I will still have one dog? Does that even work? She means so much to me.

shysal Wed 20-May-15 08:48:38

rubylady, I think you have enough to cope with without a new puppy, they are hard work!

Teetime Wed 20-May-15 08:52:53

Is it me? I'm a bit fed up with Chelsea on the TV - I think the enormous amount of money spent on the gardens this year has turned me off. as I say its probably me in a cynical phase again. hmm

HildaW Wed 20-May-15 08:56:35

I think you might have something Teetime. I've never been but feel I'd not enjoy it nowadays...too far, too ostentatious and far too busy. Having actually been to it, I would always recommend the Malvern Spring show. Its a full RHS show and so much more 'me'.

Marmight Wed 20-May-15 09:08:18

I am loving it - and it's 500% better than watching hours and hours of snooker!! I think Alan has got a little bit too big for his wellies boots with all this mixing with Royalty ...... hmm

annodomini Wed 20-May-15 09:33:39

I was sure that the Chatsworth garden would win 'best in show', but I feel that it was at least as much a spectacular feat of engineering as a gardening accomplishment. I wonder what Joseph Paxton, who designed the original garden, would have thought of it - all those machines to create what his workers had to do with minimal technology!

rubylady Wed 20-May-15 16:54:29

shysal you are probably right, maybe a re-think for when my son leaves, I'll see. Meantime it's nearly nap time. [mmm....sleep]

rubylady Wed 20-May-15 16:55:13

p.s. Which of these shows are nearest me in Bolton, anyone?

Greyduster Wed 20-May-15 17:37:40

I would think Tatton Park (Knutsford) is not that far away from Bolton is it? Or if you want to cross the Bordershock, Harrogate is on in September; usually a good day out.

annodomini Wed 20-May-15 17:53:55

Tatton should be fairly easy to reach from Bolton, ruby. There is the most enormous car parking area in which it's very difficult to track down one's own car. The last time I was there, I was able to find my friends' car when they were setting off in quite the wrong direction. I wonder if there may be a park and ride system from Knutsford.

rubylady Wed 20-May-15 21:56:15

Thanks ladies. I will have to see if a coach is going as I have no car at present. It's not the same going on your own though but I might do.

My son and I went to the Southport one a few years ago, that was a lovely day. smile