Gransnet forums

Gardening

Naughty clematis

(38 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 25-Aug-17 10:18:38

Any information will be gratefully received
I have had a clematis for 15 -20 years that has never flowered last year I had two large trees cut down that were close to it and this year without the competition it has gone absolutely mad it's covered a nearby shed and all over a wall it's healthy very green and growing on an hourly rate like a blooming triffid but still not a sign of a flower
Should I prune it back really hard this autumn ( is that the right time) or what do you all think ?

Alima Fri 25-Aug-17 11:13:54

Do you know the actual name/variety of it? It depends what it is as to when it should be pruned. Sounds like it will look lovely when it does decide to flower.

J52 Fri 25-Aug-17 11:23:23

It sounds like the Montana variety, it will flower in the spring, so don't prune it until after its flowered.
Clematis like their heads in the sun and their roots in the shade.
I suspect the trees were too shady for it to flower.

BlueBelle Fri 25-Aug-17 15:11:25

So do you mean all the leaf growth is in the summer then it stays green till spring then hopefully flower
I don't know the type The roots are certainly in shade and the greenery in the sun it's roots are sheltered by a small shed ( that it has covered )

BlueBelle Fri 25-Aug-17 15:15:07

This is how it looks

J52 Fri 25-Aug-17 15:54:23

Unless it's an evergreen variety, the leaves will fall of in the winter. The flower buds form on this year's growth and emerge in the spring.
In my las house I had one that grew up a 35ft silver birch, it looked magnificent in full flower.

BlueBelle Fri 25-Aug-17 16:03:01

Ok I ll just leave it alone then and see what happens in the spring if nothing happens I ll cut it right back
Thanks for your advice ...watch this space

J52 Fri 25-Aug-17 18:45:55

You should see little grey/green pairs of leaf buds around March. Depending where you are.

Smithy Fri 25-Aug-17 19:33:38

I saw on TV that if a clematis flowers before June you don't prune at all. My clematis is a May flowering Montana which I always pruned early in the year so I'm going to leave it and see what happens. Some years it has flowered well and not so others.

lemongrove Fri 25-Aug-17 19:36:12

Montana should be left alone, as you say Smithy it likes to go it's own way.Although you can just chop it all down if it becomes very woody, and it will soon spread again.
In Spring you should feed it.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Aug-17 20:36:36

'Flower before June Do Not Prune
Flower after June You May Prune'

Maranta Fri 25-Aug-17 21:00:28

I don't think that is a Clematis, but not sure what it is. Hopefully someone else can identify it.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Aug-17 21:04:08

I did wonder

I think a spring-flowering clematis would flower whatever position it was in?
The summer flowering ones are more sensitive little souls

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Aug-17 21:11:15

I don't think the leaves look like clematis

BlueBelle Fri 25-Aug-17 21:20:30

Oh that's interesting I always thought it was I ll take a close up of a leaf tomorrow Maybe that's why it hasn't flowered ?

Hilltopgran Fri 25-Aug-17 22:56:38

It looks similar to the evergreen honeysuckle I inherited in my garden, grows like a triffed when its happy and flowers very small and easy to miss!

Nelliemoser Fri 25-Aug-17 23:52:35

What type of clematis is it? They are grouped by type depending when they flower. If they are pruned at the wrong time you might cut off all next seasons flowers .

Actually you cannot see the leaves or the flowers which would give a clue to what sort of climber it is. Can you get a really good close up?

BlueBelle Sat 26-Aug-17 06:49:16

Hi Nellie I have no idea what it is, it was not planted by me
As you can see by my original post it has never had a flower on it my whole point of asking the original question
I will take a leaf close up for you all to see

I do have a honeysuckle and the leaves are not alike Hilltopgran although of course that doesn't mean it's not one of a different variety

This is becoming a mystery now

BlueBelle Sat 26-Aug-17 06:57:53

I have taken a mature leaf (dark green) and a new snippet and now really curious ?
What do you all think

Anya Sat 26-Aug-17 07:58:22

Give it a severe talking to. Threaten it. I did this with my plum tree last year and we had fruit for the first time ever.

When it flowers then you'll know if it's a clematis.

J52 Sat 26-Aug-17 08:06:39

Interesting comments about not pruning Montanas. As a rule I would agree, hence the 30 ft one climbing up the silver birch.
But about 6 years ago the Silver Briches had necessary pruning, in the winter, and the tree surgeons cut down the Montana. I was really upset, as all that was left were two thick brown stumps.
That spring, new growth appeared and within 2 years they were back up the tree, better than ever.
Looking at the leaves I'd definitely say it's a clematis.

BlueBelle Sat 26-Aug-17 08:14:00

when It flowers you ll know it's a clematis

Anya it's never flowered in 15+ years hence my post

Maranta Sat 26-Aug-17 08:57:33

It looks more like a Parthenociccus. Do the leaves go bright red in autumn?

BlueBelle Sat 26-Aug-17 09:05:55

No definitely not red or orange I m pretty sure the leaves drop off I m a bit vague as it's never been all this greenery before A bit unremarkable in previous years but as I said since removing the trees from near it this year it's gone totally mad

MawBroon Sat 26-Aug-17 09:16:48

I never know what to do so I just cut off what annoys me. That could be why other people's clematis (es?) always look so much better.