Gransnet forums

Gardening

Naughty clematis

(39 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 25-Aug-17 10:18:38

Any information will be gratefully received
I have had a clematis for 15 -20 years that has never flowered last year I had two large trees cut down that were close to it and this year without the competition it has gone absolutely mad it's covered a nearby shed and all over a wall it's healthy very green and growing on an hourly rate like a blooming triffid but still not a sign of a flower
Should I prune it back really hard this autumn ( is that the right time) or what do you all think ?

merlotgran Sat 26-Aug-17 09:30:00

The leaf looks like Campsis radicans. Is it deciduous or evergreen?

BlueBelle Sat 26-Aug-17 09:42:48

Merlotgran I think it's deciduous but I ve never taken much notice as it's never grown like this before just a weak little old thing till the trees were cut down it's just 'BEEN THERE' so to speak for 15 odd years but really just a nonentity this year it's gone man like a triffid but I ll let you know if the leaves drop at the moment there is still new growth every day

BlueBelle Sat 26-Aug-17 09:45:07

Just looked campus radicals up and it's not the same leaf merlotgran

merlotgran Sat 26-Aug-17 10:23:42

They look like palmate leaves so try Cissus striata.

Norah Sat 26-Aug-17 17:27:58

It does not look like clematis, but I also have no idea what it is. Lovely cover.

J52 Sat 26-Aug-17 17:38:56

clematis are strange! I'm loading up two photos the first one is the leaves of my spring flowering Grandiflora.
The second is called Propertius and should flower in the spring, but it has buds on now! Both were newly planted earlier in the summer.

BlueBelle Sun 27-Aug-17 07:30:04

Last evening I dug my head into the undergrowth just to see how deep it is It nearly came up to my elbow in depth of foliage BUT one trail of foliage has some little buds ? Could they be Is this more of a clue kind ladies ( and gents)?

BlueBelle Sun 27-Aug-17 07:30:22

Not my head my HAND ????

loopylou Sun 27-Aug-17 10:42:41

I'm wondering if it's wild clematis aka Old Man's Beard?
I hope I'm wrong I have been guilty of carefully cultivating weeds before now!

Elegran Sun 27-Aug-17 11:17:48

Virginia creeper? Because of the five leaves. Or are the leaves too thick and dark?

Elegran Sun 27-Aug-17 11:19:25

Virginia creeper - thesquirrelnutwork.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/five-leaf-vine/

Elegran Sun 27-Aug-17 11:20:34

Better photo - www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/single_weed.php?id=35

BlueBelle Sun 27-Aug-17 11:38:27

No I ve got one of those not thick enough leaves Elegran and it's never gone red
Oh blimey I m now going to Google old mans beard
I went on a photograph plant identifier and that did suggest clematis but..........