Gransnet forums

Gardening

Garden lacking colour-what to plant for autumn?

(36 Posts)
lmm6 Thu 01-Aug-19 22:24:25

My garden has been pretty all summer. But most things are coming to an end. Is there anything I can plant now that will give colour until the winter comes? Went to the garden centre and most plants looked past their best.

absthame Fri 02-Aug-19 13:34:49

My 2year old ggd asked her mum for balloons to be planted in their garden grin

lmm6 Fri 02-Aug-19 15:24:25

Thank you, everyone. There are some great ideas here. I'm going to write down all the suggestions - I even need to find out what some of them are as I don't know the names. Then I'll see what I can find. I managed to get a nice Golden Rod this morning at our local market so that's a start.

Gonegirl Fri 02-Aug-19 15:43:43

Just got back from lunch at the garden centre. They have so much in full bloom! You could start over with another Summer. Even trays of pansies and violas. Was sorely tempted but resisted with holidays coming up.

Kim19 Fri 02-Aug-19 17:23:02

Check out euonymua alatus. Red perennial.

Quizzer Fri 02-Aug-19 17:28:59

My favourite plant is Golden Oregano (marjoram). Pale lime yellow leaves all year. Small flowers early summer. Cut it down Sept/Oct and it produces new leaves which stay bright until the next spring. AND you can cook.with it!

sue01 Fri 02-Aug-19 17:56:16

Gonegirl... I plucked up courage and did mine. Two days later they started to shoot, and they are now flowering again... a mere three weeks later.

Gonegirl Fri 02-Aug-19 18:06:24

Right sue. Will get on with it in the morning.

EEJit Fri 02-Aug-19 19:42:31

To late for this year but, Dahlia. Colour from July to first frost

Alexa Fri 02-Aug-19 22:03:26

My buddleia adds some colour in August. The cotoneaster horizontalis will soon change to dark red. The crab apples will ripen to orange. There is a second flowering of Warm Welcome roses.

justwokeup Fri 02-Aug-19 22:12:05

Crocosmia comes out soon and looks like fireworks until around November.