Gransnet forums

Gardening

Nasturtiums

(30 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 16:02:03

Too late fir this year but any advise on how to stop nasturtiums getting eaten to death by cabbage white caterpillars
I know we need to encourage butterflies but my gardens been inundated with cabbage whites and now my leafs are skeletonised by these caterpillars

merlotgran Mon 05-Aug-19 16:05:01

Squidge, squidge and squidge!

merlotgran Mon 05-Aug-19 16:08:08

I plant pots of nasturtiums close to the brassicas in the hopes the little (and not so little) blighters will feast on them and not the caulis, broccoli, cabbages and cavolo nero.

Still have to squidge them though or I'd have no nasturtiums left.

lemongrove Mon 05-Aug-19 17:17:25

I love nasturtiums, thus year had two pots of them .....but, am now cured of wanting them as ( as usual) they are covered in black fly, no more of them for me.

Fennel Mon 05-Aug-19 17:24:56

I was planning to try them next year, but not so sure now.
I didn't know they were the prey of the cabbage moth.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 17:33:42

Cabbage white is a butterfly fennel and I do try to encourage wildlife in my garden but this is beyond a joke am I imaging that marigolds keep them away or have I dreamt that one up
Squidge with what ?

MiniMoon Mon 05-Aug-19 17:43:50

Here's the recipe my husband uses on our peach trees which suffer from leaf curl caused by insects. He also sprayed it on the tomato p!ants that had white fly. It is effective, and entirely natural.

Organic gardening is about using natural products to produce food that is chemical free. Using garlic water is a great way to maximize crop production without relying on chemicals.

Standard garlic water recipe:
6-cloves of garlic peeled and sliced fine.

2-quarts of tap water or purified water.

1 TBLS natural soap (castile is a good brand)

1 Spritzer bottle.

1 Mason Jar with lid ( recycled jar works fine too)

In a sauce pot, warm water until it begins to steam. Add sliced garlic and maintain temperature for 20 minutes. Allow water to cool, Remove garlic from water and discard (compost.) Add soap to spritzer bottle. Using a funnel add enough water to fill the spritzer bottle almost full but leave at least 1/2 inch of room. Put the lid on the spritzer bottle and shake slightly when ready to use. Spray plants early in the morning or in the evening time after the hottest part of the day has past. Several applications may be needed. Avoid using the spray on hot days as the liquid and sunlight may burn the plants. Extra liquid can be stored in the jar in the fridge for up to two weeks.

merlotgran Mon 05-Aug-19 17:46:42

Squidge with what ?

Finger and thumb works nicely for me. grin

They go a bit green though.

JanEllisWriter Mon 05-Aug-19 17:54:13

My damson tree has leaf curl, but this sounds like an excellent solution –and I bet it keeps the vampires away, too. smile

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 18:39:59

You squidge fat caterpillars between your thumb and forefinger merlotgran oh yuk yuk

merlotgran Mon 05-Aug-19 18:43:32

Yep! grin

I use garlic spray as well but caterpillars can survive all manner of organic pest control.

There's nothing more organic than a finger and thumb,

MiniMoon Mon 05-Aug-19 20:57:46

The beauty of the garlic spray is that you can spray as often as you need. It doesn't harm the plants or the soil, just deters the pests.

Fennel Mon 05-Aug-19 20:59:13

Bluebelle grin moth or butterfly . I didn't realise those bonny white butterflies attacked nasturtiums. Which aren't brassicas as far as I know. They must be hungry.
The biggest caterpillar I've ever seen was on a young potato plant. It was about 8cms long, green with variageted spots.
owlcation.com/stem/caterpillar-identification-2

merlotgran Mon 05-Aug-19 21:06:15

Nasturtiums are members of the brassica family.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 21:27:16

Well it’s not the butterflies that eat then it’s the blooming cabbage white caterpillars They re chomping through the leaves faster than the rate of knots I have a whole lot of skeletons ?
I like the garlic spray I have garlic but must get some soap and a spray bottle and get going
You can eat the leaves flowers etc very tasty too bit like watercress to taste

Fennel Mon 05-Aug-19 21:58:30

Merlot I didn't know that - thanks smile.

etheltbags1 Mon 05-Aug-19 22:09:23

Its b....y snail eating my nasturtiums. They bury themselves in the soil and hide. Grrr

Daisymae Mon 05-Aug-19 22:11:11

I have bought a good selection for next year half price. But I have to say that this years have been well and truly nibbled. Oh well live and let live!

BlueBelle Mon 05-Aug-19 22:24:33

They re not letting my leaves live, it’s war I m afraid ?

merlotgran Mon 05-Aug-19 22:28:03

You can always add chilli powder to garlic spray for some extra ooooomph!!!

Vonners Tue 06-Aug-19 21:44:23

You could send the crawlies to me!
Am trying to grow stuff that attracts all insects to help the environment in my own small way.
Spent some time this morning transferring 3 different types of caterpillar from some now leafless nasturtiums to some with beautiful leaves for them to feast on grin grin grin.

BlueBelle Tue 06-Aug-19 22:08:23

You can have mine anytime vonners

Resurgam123 Wed 07-Aug-19 23:25:39

Nasturtiums are very tasty in salads. It's very trendy at the moment,
Eat them before the insects do.
winkwink

merlotgran Wed 07-Aug-19 23:34:57

Even more tasty when they're garlic and chilli infused. grin

BlueBelle Thu 08-Aug-19 04:08:54

They are very tasty just like a watercress sort of taste I like them a lot