Gransnet forums

Gardening

This summer's star plant?

(80 Posts)
shysal Tue 20-Aug-19 17:24:38

Which annual or perennial plant has performed the best for you this summer?
For the first time I grew Petunia Tidal Wave, some from seed and others from cheap plug plants from a TV shopping channel. They climb and trail and look like they will keep going until the first frosts. Each of the examples pictured shows a single pot containing 3 or 5 plugs. Thank you Monty for featuring the Velour red ones which prompted my purchases.

Purpledaffodil Thu 22-Aug-19 14:13:02

Tidal wave petunias for me too. They’re not trailing as much as they should because I followed advice to put polystyrene under the soil in the tall pots and it compacted so much that the plants start nearly half a metre below the top of the pot. I will have to refill and replant the phormium plants in the autumn.
Please could anyone tell me the name of the tiny petunias in the hanging baskets? They were a last minute replacement for some sad geraniums and have been very pretty for weeks.
Not usually this active in the garden but we had GD’s post baptism party in the garden in July and wanted it to look pleasing.

shysal Thu 22-Aug-19 14:48:12

purpledaffodil, the little petunias are what used to be called Million Bells, but now known as Calibrachoa.

Purpledaffodil Thu 22-Aug-19 16:02:37

Thanks very much shysal. I must write that down before I forget. They came in one pot with two colours from the garden centre for £2:99 a pot and were a very cheap way of refilling a hanging basket mid season.

Namsnanny Mon 26-Aug-19 17:17:40

Sweet peas for me!
Sorry the photo is a bit wonky, only way I could get them in!

I’m getting at least a bunch per day.
Can’t beat them for scent and coloursmile